Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,363 times

Advertisements

Real life here is nothing like what you see on the tellie. That goes for people in the UK as well as people from other parts of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,652 times
Default I am from London & visiting NYC

Whoever said that british people are moving out because they are sick of Immigrants - is such utter nonsense. Puhleassee... look at the immigration in USA - its far worse than UK... there aren't even as many immigrants in the UK as there are in USA... especially if you compare london to NYC - I would prefer London anytime.

The biggest reason is - economic - nothing else. USA is a lot cheaper to live. Uk is a very very expensive country now - gas is $12 a gallon - and you americans scream at $4 a gallon... its 3 times more expensive in all of Europe. I have been in nyc for a month and compared to London - new york is 3-4 times cheaper. Just a London subway pass for a month costs over $250 - compared to $75 in nyc. Even apartments in NYC are so cheap.. you can get a luxury 1 bedroom in a high rise bldg. with a pool and gym for $3200 a month - for that price you would get a tiny ugly studio in central london in a very old building (everything is old in London).

There are no dirty immigrants in the UK - none of those kinds can afford it... all the **** moves to USA.. and only wealthy or very well educated immigrants outside the EU are now moving to UK. The polish are very hard working and sincere people... I dont know any brit who doesn't like the polish. Some british trash (chavs) are also moving to the US - because they like trashy florida where they are treated like royalty just because they have a stupid british accent. Anyway - I enjoy visiting the US and shop here a lot - but I would never personally move to this country.. its too ugly and has no culture.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,462 times
aren't all americans immigrants? dont a lot of come from british heritage? and when it suits you, you come to england and ireland, searching your long lost ancestors, riding on the claim of some distant relative who, like people from the UK today, decided to move to the US. few people move because of immigration; they move because they're bored and seeking a new lease of life. i would have thought that you might underdstand this, considering how the US itself was born. i think the only people to have an real weight in this argument would be native americans. i dont understand why some of you are so bitter, what harm is being done to you?!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 AM

15 posts, read 31,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Not quite. They speak the language and have a common culture. You're comparing apples and oranges.
And almost every American claims to be Irish

Their great great great great grandfathers cousins dog was an irish wolfhound However anytime Ive been to New York and the locals are fascinated by us, we just take the **** and laugh it off..

Top of the marnin tya

Old 12-18-2008, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,809 times
Smile bagpuss

hi,im only just thinking about moving to nyc,i have been a visitor to nyc a couple of years ago,but thats it..im not considering moving because of an influx of eastern europeans,,infact i find them hard working and genuine...ive worked with sum and they were so funny,we laughed all the time...i loved them because i had the same humour as somone else from a different place ,,most issues with uk residents are"asylum seekers"......genuine seekers are welcome,but,there are so many fakes it upsets people...basically,thats it....personally,when i visisted nyc,people were so freindly i was amazed,,me and my freinds laughed and joked with three attendants on the train to penn station from newark.ive never felt so welcome .plus newyorkers were on there cells trying to arrange nights out clubbing for us,i was so impressed with the freindlyness,,i wish the borders else where were like this:-)

Old 12-18-2008, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,809 times
p.s. i love this city,in the most genuine way,from arguing with cabbies loud and brash ,and yet fine with us when we step inside,,to chatting with shop attendents and them askin me to swear because it sounds good!!! in soho.!i love it.nyc!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 PM

155 posts, read 380,815 times
i don't mind then coming over, im part irish, so they are welcomed. anybody is welcomed[ if they dont commit crime, or anything else].

Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM

262 posts, read 567,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I think that's kinda funny, the whole immigration argument. So they're leaving to escape it and we here in America are up in arms about what to do with the immigration issue. I thought Europeans didn't like Americans? Hhmm...
Not all Europeans hate Americans,in my view the people who do are just jealous of this great country,i'm from England myself and to think we use to own the U.S is crazy to what England has turned into now,it's turned into Mod cut: language,pardon my french,but some of the things that happen there now are ridiculous Mod cut: racist.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-19-2008 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
No, it doesn't represent the view of all British expats. I'm a British expat and I didn't move here to get away from immigrants. But others do. I have heard immigration cited many times as a reason for leaving Britain, particularly in the past couple of years when eastern Europeans have been allowed to move freely to Britain (it was that influx specifically that irked the LA forum poster). This is perhaps less true of Britons who come to America, more so of those who move to Spain and Australia. Two years ago I met a member of the British National Party (a really nasty organization, directly descended from the British Union of Fascists) who told me many of his like-minded friends were emigrating because they were sick of immigrants. He was considering moving to Florida, where he had bought some land. He completely failed to see the irony in this situation.
I've also heard Brit expats in some immigration forums complain about the youth culture in their homeland driving them away...not sure what they meant by that...

Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishKarlito View Post
And almost every American claims to be Irish

Their great great great great grandfathers cousins dog was an irish wolfhound However anytime Ive been to New York and the locals are fascinated by us, we just take the **** and laugh it off..

Top of the marnin tya

are you related to my dawg??
Attached Thumbnails
British Invasion?-001.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City