U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 08:42 AM

431 posts, read 1,947,425 times

Advertisements

What's with all the Londoners suddenly moving into NYC? I know their money is 2 to 1 but once they get here, they are making a US salary. I'm not hating. I actually dated a british guy for 3 yrs but that was in the mid 90s. He was a rare species and that was only 10 yrs ago. Any insight?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 08:02 PM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
I've notice more British people as well. More Irish also. I don't know exactly why that has happened, probably economic reasons, and NYC is probably the most similar of any of the american cities to London.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM

492 posts, read 576,342 times
They all have relatives who own bars and restaurants in Woodside…cash business, they pay no income tax.

Been going on for years

Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 AM

563 posts, read 1,569,685 times
One thing's for sure, I haven't seen any British folks up in the Bronx recently, at all.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:09 PM

225 posts, read 993,731 times
If you think there are a lot of Brits in New York, come visit Santa Monica some time.

British and Irish people move to America because they don't have to learn another language (we are lousy linguists), because there are lots of jobs, and because they fancy a change. They move to insanely expensive places like NYC because they are used to paying extortionate rents, particularly if they are from London.

Also--and I am not making this up--British and Irish people are leaving their countries because they think they have become overrun with immigrants. There was a guy on the LA thread last week who wanted to come to LA because he thought there were too many illegal immigrants in the UK. Needless to say, much mirth was had by all...

Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 PM

550 posts, read 501,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
If you think there are a lot of Brits in New York, come visit Santa Monica some time.

British and Irish people move to America because they don't have to learn another language (we are lousy linguists), because there are lots of jobs, and because they fancy a change. They move to insanely expensive places like NYC because they are used to paying extortionate rents, particularly if they are from London.

Also--and I am not making this up--British and Irish people are leaving their countries because they think they have become overrun with immigrants. There was a guy on the LA thread last week who wanted to come to LA because he thought there were too many illegal immigrants in the UK. Needless to say, much mirth was had by all...

I've met many British people in New York and not a single one of them ever cited "immigration" as a reason to move to the US. Most were here because their jobs took them to NYC. And in fact, they tended to be rather left-wing in their politics and they gave off more of a "hipster" vibe and loved NYC because of its diversity. A lone British poster on city-data.com does not represent the opinions of all British expats.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
I've met more than a few Irish people who cited the growing number of Slavic immigrants moving to Ireland as one of their reasons moving to America. Of course this would be one among many reasons for them. The other main thing is that the cost of living is quite high, even by NYC standards, in the British isles.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:19 PM

225 posts, read 993,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
I've met many British people in New York and not a single one of them ever cited "immigration" as a reason to move to the US. Most were here because their jobs took them to NYC. And in fact, they tended to be rather left-wing in their politics and they gave off more of a "hipster" vibe and loved NYC because of its diversity. A lone British poster on city-data.com does not represent the opinions of all British expats.

No, it doesn't represent the view of all British expats. I'm a British expat and I didn't move here to get away from immigrants. But others do. I have heard immigration cited many times as a reason for leaving Britain, particularly in the past couple of years when eastern Europeans have been allowed to move freely to Britain (it was that influx specifically that irked the LA forum poster). This is perhaps less true of Britons who come to America, more so of those who move to Spain and Australia. Two years ago I met a member of the British National Party (a really nasty organization, directly descended from the British Union of Fascists) who told me many of his like-minded friends were emigrating because they were sick of immigrants. He was considering moving to Florida, where he had bought some land. He completely failed to see the irony in this situation.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:21 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,188,047 times
My company gets a lot of con artists from England apparently.

We will get a reply to an add from some guy saying he is moving here from England, and that his company will guarantee everything.

So he will send us a check for security deposit and first month's rent, and add on some more. Then he will make up some excuse as to why he send more money then he should, and asks us to return the difference to him. Then the check he sent bounces.

pretty funny

Old 09-02-2007, 05:20 AM

431 posts, read 1,947,425 times
I think that's kinda funny, the whole immigration argument. So they're leaving to escape it and we here in America are up in arms about what to do with the immigration issue. I thought Europeans didn't like Americans? Hhmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City