U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Central, NJ
1,922 posts, read 2,899,244 times
Reputation: 1832

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
What?? Come on, this is a rediculous statement. There are PLENTY of people in the middle class in NYC. You don't know what you are talking about.
True. But moving to Manhattan at his age, making 70K - he will not be one of them. Middle class people grow up here and strive for the dream that he has now in Pittsburgh - a nice house and comfortable life. He needs to know that he will be giving that up and taking a big step back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
6,600 posts, read 11,360,892 times
Reputation: 4145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
True. But moving to Manhattan at his age, making 70K - he will not be one of them. Middle class people grow up here and strive for the dream that he has now in Pittsburgh - a nice house and comfortable life. He needs to know that he will be giving that up and taking a big step back.
Except that obviously his life in Pittsburgh is NOT a dream. Despite the material comforts that others might envy, there is something lacking or he wouldn't be thinking about leaving that place.How do any of us know?..he might be happier "struggling" in NYC than living in luxury in Pittsburgh.I can relate to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Boston MA, by way of NYC
2,768 posts, read 4,183,645 times
Reputation: 462
I completely disagree with Bluedog. 70K may sound like a lot, but after you have finished paying for everything to live a basic life, you are left with little. I'm not sure what type of life style you live in Philly, but if you are single in NYC, you will need more to keep up. I do agree that you can live more comfortably in brooklyn or Queens, but it won't be that much better. Just this morning I saw adds for LIC apartments 375k for a 650 suare foot apartment. If you are wondering, YES, that is small! I make 85k and still shop at H&M, just to give you an idea of how far your money will stretch. 85K, sounds like a lot to a lot of people, but I promise you it really isn't. I assure you that I could not live a life style, similar to Sex and the City unless I was in knock-offs (which are very easy to get) from head to toe. I'm not sure how people would feel about this, but I can tell a knock off a mile a way and would not be caught dead with one. I save for my splurges. But by no means be under the impression that you will live a grand life on that money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 PM
 
3,225 posts, read 5,360,563 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Except that obviously his life in Pittsburgh is NOT a dream. Despite the material comforts that others might envy, there is something lacking or he wouldn't be thinking about leaving that place.How do any of us know?..he might be happier "struggling" in NYC than living in luxury in Pittsburgh.I can relate to that.
good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
6,600 posts, read 11,360,892 times
Reputation: 4145
I didn't say that I live a "grand" lifestyle on 70,000.... just a very comfortable one.The biggest thing is that I live in The Bronx.... in a great neighborhood...and the mortgage and maintenance on my 900 sq ft apt is 1200 a month. My total for all living expenses is less than 25%.If you are realistic about how much you pay in rent or whatever ,you can be very comfortable on 70,000.And I didn't grow up in The Bronx( or NYC) for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
 
730 posts, read 1,847,368 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
True. But moving to Manhattan at his age, making 70K - he will not be one of them. Middle class people grow up here and strive for the dream that he has now in Pittsburgh - a nice house and comfortable life. He needs to know that he will be giving that up and taking a big step back.
I never said he would be middle class, I was merely pointing out that the reference to NYC as being "as close to a third world country" you can get in America was completely rediculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:06 PM
 
3,225 posts, read 5,360,563 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I didn't say that I live a "grand" lifestyle on 70,000.... just a very comfortable one.The biggest thing is that I live in The Bronx.... in a great neighborhood...and the mortgage and maintenance on my 900 sq ft apt is 1200 a month. My total for all living expenses is less than 25%.If you are realistic about how much you pay in rent or whatever ,you can be very comfortable on 70,000.And I didn't grow up in The Bronx( or NYC) for that matter.
good point again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Boston MA, by way of NYC
2,768 posts, read 4,183,645 times
Reputation: 462
I understand your point, but unless you tax rate is something other than mine (which I doubt), then your rent is a pretty big chunk of your salary. I only pay 1500 for rent and that is more than 1/2 of a paycheck. 85K bring home 4k a month, that is not great by any means! I think you have to school me to your budget Blue. It might help me to save!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
 
132 posts, read 356,701 times
Reputation: 40
Keep in mind that only a small fraction of the 19 million people in the NYC metro area live in Manhattan, when pondering whether Manhattan is the only option for NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 PM
 
3,225 posts, read 5,360,563 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
Keep in mind that only a small fraction of the 19 million people in the NYC metro area live in Manhattan, when pondering whether Manhattan is the only option for NYC.
Agreed. You know this whole concept of Manhattan or bust is somewhat disconcerting to the 6-7 million people who live in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island.....and yet, miraculously it seems to the Manhattan-centric folk, can still enjoy easy access to Manhattan's offerings as well as those in their own boroughs.

Sure, if you have the bucks and can afford to live in Manhattan, go for it if that's what pumps your adrenalin. But there are many citizens enjoying the best of both worlds and a decent bank account outside Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top