U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 PM

18 posts, read 67,902 times
Default Info about College Point

I currently live on Long Island and am looking to move to a 1 bedroom condo in Queens. College Point is one area I am considering. I am hoping to find some info about it here from people who live there or know it well.

How safe is it? Would I be concerned going out at night or have to worry about my car being stolen?

How is the parking in College Point? (This is my long island roots coming out). Is it comparable to Bayside and Douglaston? (which do not have bad parking problems in my opinion) I would want a parking spot with the apartment but I will still need to go to stores etc, so parking is a consideration.

What is there to do for entertainment?

Is Verizon Fios available there? If not, how are internet speeds in College Point with Time Warner? I have heard horror stories about speeds in Flushing but I am not sure if College Point has the same problems.

How is the school district in CP? I do not have kids but I may someday and they will have to go to school, plus I think the value of the condo will be better in the future with a good school district.

Thanks for any help, I am considering other areas but College Point seems like it may be the best price wise so I want to make sure it is an area that I would be comfortable living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 9,008 times
why Are you chosing college point?

college point is one of the safest neighborhoods in nyc. homeless people and crackheads is the only problem.

fios internet speed is good parking in the condo area is perfect low population in college point white and Spanish population. No ghettos. No theft.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NIGHT LIFE IN COLLEGE POINT. that sucks =\

*Flushing (south) has a big night life
*Whitestone (East of college Point) Has good eating night life on 150th street stores 24/7 open.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,903,373 times
College Point is Ok in my opinion, but there are nicer areas. It's not dangerous, but the neighborhood has a lot of factories and warehouses scattered throughout. In case your not familiar with it, there is a BJ's and Target, which might make it convenient for you. Any particular reason why you want to move to College Point?

Bayside and Douglaston are definitely better areas. Both are in the top school district in Queens and have a real suburbia feel to them, similar to parts of Long Island.

Sorry, Flushing does NOT have a "big night life." It does have plenty of restaurants (98% of are asian theme) that are open late and a few bars/karaoke places/clubs, but is mostly populated by locals - don't think of it as the bars you would go to in the city. In fact, unless you know where to go - the area is pretty deserted at night.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:49 PM

18 posts, read 67,902 times
College Point is just one of the options I am considering. Douglaston is my first choice, with Bayside my second. Just doing my due diligence on the areas I am considering. CP is more like a fall back option so I am trying to educate myself on the area.

Thanks for the replies, any other replies would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,903,373 times
Douglaston is definitely a better choice, but condos are more expensive than College Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City