Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think New York City is safe?
Yes, for the most part it is completely safe. 36 32.43%
No, for the most part it is not completely safe. 8 7.21%
Well, it depends on where you live. 55 49.55%
It depends on your age, sex and/or race. 12 10.81%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 PM

337 posts, read 968,900 times

Advertisements

Much safer than other large cities I have been to:Newark,Philly,Miami,and Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 PM

224 posts, read 1,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Well today I after my class I decided to take a trip up to Harlem and walk around (being that I haven't been there since last summer) to see the many changes that are taking place and what still remains the same. This is really a part 2 to the topic "How Dangerous Is Harlem?" and "How Dangerous Is NYC?". I was able to go there and speak to various individuals in Barber shops, clothing outlets, people walking the streets and parents taking walks with there kids. Everyone from people who have just recently moved to the neighborhood to people who have lived there for decades and have seen the changes good and bad. As a whole, people were generally VERY polite and kind in assisting me with my "school report".

Today, my focus was mainly on Central/West Harlem as I migrated pretty much every block from 110 to 125, from 7th Ave to Park Ave. Well, what can I say except for things have changed, but some things remained the same. I tried to get some decent pictures and did the best I could without being completely obvious. Certain blocks I couldn't take pictures on because of the obvious dope boys on the corners and I didn't want to take the chance of attracting unwanted attention. Other streets were VERY quiet (Midwood, Brooklyn quiet). Let me upload the pics I have before I further elaborate on my enlightening experience.

(Continued)
Pic 1 - I'm on 117th btw Park and Lexington. This is a Condo that is about more than halfway finished and looks very nice.

Pic 2- Is a block full of newly built Co-Ops. It's on 117 btw Madison & Fifth. I spoke to a caucasian man there who was outside playing with his children. I asked him how was the neighborhood and he responded that he moved to Harlem from Ohio about 5 years ago and that when he arrived they had just built the Co-Ops around the time he arrived. He said it's very quiet on his street, everyone is very friendly and he couldn't have made a better decision on moving here. Then his kids were upset because he was giving all his attention to me so I let him be.

Pic - 3 As I left this block and went down to the corner of 5th Avenue, a black couple (about mid-late 30's) happen to be comming my way. So of course I stopped them to ask the same question. The male said that it's hard to say. The female was very assertive in cutting him off and giving me the lowdown. As we walked she told me that she had lived there since the 70's and when I asked her do you think it's safe now her EXACT words were "Safe as far as who and what?" Then she elaborated further telling me how she has seen positive change come to the area it's at the expense of displacing it's residents. Alot of her friends who she grew up with in the neighborhood had to leave because of new landlords and real estate developers buying up all the property and raising rents to extremely high levels so that middle class people can't afford. She said "they don't kick you out at first, but after awhile, nobody ain't gonna be able to afford these prices and they leave". She herself spoke of leaving by the summer. My favorite moment with them was when the couple walked me by 116th and Madison and showed me a chruch that has been there 30+ years (which is the pic). Right next to it on the left was a brand new condo built about a year ago (not in the pic because a tree made it hard to caputre). This very much signifies the old and new harlem.

(Continued)
Pic 4&5- As I left the couple I went to 115th and Madison, the infamous Taft Houses. As you can see for obvious reasons, I will not be able to interview many people here. When I first walked in the Projects there were police officers walking around (2 NYPD in uniform) and they looked as if they were not in a good mood so I did not interview them. They went and sat inside there patrol car and both watched my ever move as I walked deeper into the projects. I took out my camera and then noticed the neighborhood locals looking through the lobby windows and appartment windows at me with a look of "who is he?" (as most people in the projects know each other). I saw practically noone outside in that area of the projects as this was evidenced by the police presence (except for the few pedestrians going about their legal usual business in and out the buildings). I took a picture of the police sitting stationery in the parking lot as if they were UN troops protecting the Gaza border. As I left, the police continued to look at me as if I was a criminal. Also a hispanic man came out the building and walked slowly in my direction. Once I passed him he looked back over his shoulder and then went back inside. Being that I grew up in the hood (Flatbush), it was obvious he was waiting for me to give a signal that I wanted to buy drugs. Regardless of police presence, if you have street smarts it's easy to see how they were operating. SUV's pulling up to guys on the corner's making quick stops and then leaving. Quick runs in and out of building stopping for nonthing. This was primarily the same for the areas around Taft (other housing projects)

Pic 6&7 - James Weldon Johnson Houses 110th & Lexington (6train). This area had more blatant hustling and guys that were just hanging around giving you a look of "don't mess with me". The area is alittle busier so you would figure that it wouldn't be out in the open. However, I saw more hanging around. As I walked a block east. There was a police van with about 6 police and looked like they were getting ready to make a move on an area (probably this area). They were talking and reveiwing some paper work and then they took off with sirens on. I talked to store owners and asked how he felt (a hispanic). He said that he felt as if the neighborhood had gotten safer but there is still plenty of drugs and crime going on. He said daytime isn't so bad but at night he still has to lock up early for fear of being robbed. When I asked him had he been robbed there before he said Yes, at least several times.

Pic 8 -I went back up ALL THE WAY to 125th and Park looking along the way. I saw this new development on (If I'm correct 118th & Madison). Very nice. I also stopped at a baber shop along the way and spoke to a couple of guys. One person said that the neighborhood has changed alot and that it got better in terms of the look and putting up new developments but there is still that "I have to look over my shoulder feeling" I asked did they think Mayor Bloomberg was right when he said this was the safest city in the world and the overall response was not a chance.

Yes, NYC is safe. It is 10x safer then when I grew up here in the 80s. And its pointless to venture into areas like Harlem unless you are looking for trouble. What draws you yuppies into crapholes like the South Bronx and Harlem??? I do not understand this.... Do you enjoy living around crime?!? I've left of all that stuff back in early 20s(last time i was in the tombs LOL)

Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Yes, NYC is safe. It is 10x safer then when I grew up here in the 80s. And its pointless to venture into areas like Harlem unless you are looking for trouble. What draws you yuppies into crapholes like the South Bronx and Harlem??? I do not understand this.... Do you enjoy living around crime?!? I've left of all that stuff back in early 20s(last time i was in the tombs LOL)
you're preaching to the choir...

Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
What draws you yuppies into crapholes like the South Bronx and Harlem??? I do not understand this.... Do you enjoy living around crime?!?
Cheap rent and easy street parking do it for me. I've never run into any crime here (W 140's) and am often out walking around at all hours of the night. I've got a nice apartment, live around the corner from the 1 train, and can park my car without paying $300 or more for a garage.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 PM

7 posts, read 29,653 times
Some Areas Of Harlem Are Safe And Unsafe TO Me....But You would have to visit to form your own opinion about various parts of Harlem.....

Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
I'm convinced that whoever chose the first two choices have no concept of this topic. It depends on where you live, bottom line.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm convinced that whoever chose the first two choices have no concept of this topic. It depends on where you live, bottom line.
agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City