Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,696,241 times

Advertisements

it was crazy...

i remember syringes and dime/nickel bags littering the area where the street and sidewalk meet...
seeing junkies laid out in the street, garbage everywhere.
ppl used to get robbed for everything from sneakers to their jackets to chains.
it was mad dirty, you could hear gun shots in broad daylight, at night, whenever.
mad ppl got robbed at gunpoint. my mother's friend's sons got shot in the back of their heads getting dog food.
we used to ride the train to the bronx and talk to her through the gate after that. didn't even leave the train station.
everything was mad rough. used to live 9 to a two bedroom apartment.
had roaches and mice (i'ma be honest)
look out the window and see mad trash

saw all types of stuff. saw a man drill a hole in his leg in broad daylight because he was strung out off of crack.
saw a bus get robbed at gunpoint.
saw a man jump on top of a moving car.
girls with razor blades in their mouths.
a girl pulled out a switch blade and was fighting and stabbing another girl (at school)
the feds busted in my place looking for someone. they looked underneath everything and in the closets.
the neighborhood used to smell bad because of the garbage.
etc.

and all this was NORMAL to us. we didn't think twice about it.

lol even i got my chain snatched. and it was a cross!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 AM
eek

two songs about crack and violence that were popular at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyYP_bS_6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyR09SP9qdA

Last edited by eek; 03-24-2011 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,978,849 times
The crack epidemic was just another symptom of degeneracy. The city was a bit of the wild west back then. Cops were not very aggressive, people were more openly aggressive. Now people are completely controlled, appeased and neutralized by electronic gizmos. Back in the 80's people were still interacting in person, spent more time in the street and not talking by text or facebook. The social conditions that led up the crack era started in the he 1960s.

It is not like the city was morally correct and then this magic substance was created and everyone transformed into criminals. The 1960s sexual revolution was the starting point that freed people from morals and laid the ground work. Crack was the elixir that pushed the whole dog and pony show of degeneracy to the point of ridiculousness. Every single mores was smashed to bits and a new moral code was instituted in this era.

The federal government created a huge demographic void in the city with the housing policy. 30 years of busting up ethnic Catholics neighborhoods and replacing them with southern sharecroppers and rural Puerto Ricans in federally funded housing projects is going to have wide ranging consequences. They may have solved their "Catholic" problem but they created a monster. Just as the new residents arrived jobs disappeared.

Then to have a social policy that promoted sexual degeneracy by promoting contraception, abortion and increased welfare for out of wedlock children devastated the families that resided in housing projects. This social program of sexual degeneracy that devastated the family provided the requisite social condition for the crack epidemic to flourish. If they only listened to moynihan we could have avoided that wretched era of death and the continued moral decay.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 AM

159 posts, read 405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The crack epidemic was just another symptom of degeneracy. The city was a bit of the wild west back then. Cops were not very aggressive, people were more openly aggressive. Now people are completely controlled, appeased and neutralized by electronic gizmos. Back in the 80's people were still interacting in person, spent more time in the street and not talking by text or facebook. The social conditions that led up the crack era started in the he 1960s.

It is not like the city was morally correct and then this magic substance was created and everyone transformed into criminals. The 1960s sexual revolution was the starting point that freed people from morals and laid the ground work. Crack was the elixir that pushed the whole dog and pony show of degeneracy to the point of ridiculousness. Every single mores was smashed to bits and a new moral code was instituted in this era.

The federal government created a huge demographic void in the city with the housing policy. 30 years of busting up ethnic Catholics neighborhoods and replacing them with southern sharecroppers and rural Puerto Ricans in federally funded housing projects is going to have wide ranging consequences. They may have solved their "Catholic" problem but they created a monster. Just as the new residents arrived jobs disappeared.

Then to have a social policy that promoted sexual degeneracy by promoting contraception, abortion and increased welfare for out of wedlock children devastated the families that resided in housing projects. This social program of sexual degeneracy that devastated the family provided the requisite social condition for the crack epidemic to flourish. If they only listened to moynihan we could have avoided that wretched era of death and the continued moral decay.
: smack:

Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM

113 posts, read 263,343 times
I was 14 in 1990 and went to high school in Jamaica. I lived in Queens and used to take the subway from Woodhaven Blvd (Queens Center) to 179th Street and Hillside Ave (Jamaica). That train ride was terrible. People got jumped, beaten, robbed, you name it. I graduated in 1994, and since that time, the ride to and from Jamaica has improved dramatically...

I remember the Rodney King riots. We were sent home from high school early that day! We feared for our lives traveling home early that day. The school was afraid the riots in LA would trigger riots here in NYC. At that time, Jamaica was a predominantly black area. Today, however, there are many people from Bangladesh and Guyana living there. It's much more diverse than in the 90s...

Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 AM
eek

jamaica in the 90's was better tho. at least to me.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM

113 posts, read 263,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
jamaica in the 90's was better tho. at least to me.
Really? How so? Do you live there/visit there now? Just curious

Old 03-30-2011, 05:05 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,569,729 times
sorry i can't read 55 posts so here's my answer: ny in the 90's: "club kids", drugs, murder, stupidity/trashiness, etc. rent the movie 'party monster' starring mcaulay culkin as an example. also the first season of mtv's "real world" was filmed in ny in '92 i think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City