Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:23 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Is everyone elses NYC gym miserable to be at right now?

Let me know if you are a member of a gym in NYC that is not miserable right now, full of new people who just fill the gym up from January and February and March and then quit. And tell me where that gym is b/c I want to join.

I am going to start a line of gyms that are divided up into sections, the more frequently you go, you "graduate" to higher, better, sections of the gym. So after the new year, you just walk by all the newbies to your special section. Think that would work?

ha, later on down the road I want to have my own private gym. Just ONE facility. I'm a hard core powerlifting nut and most hard core guys today as well as athletes have no place to train so right now they are setting up gyms in there garage; this is where they train now. It's gone underground.

Most gyms are not "real" gyms they are more like "want a be" spas and they only cater to women who want to loose weight or men who like to inflate there biceps in a power rack station.

I wish I grew up in the 70's in those days most of the gyms were real and full of ruff neck men with beards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
I'm just waiting for the ice and snow to melt so I can go running again and play basketball outdoors. I looked into a gym but didn't sign up, maybe I will some day.
You too?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Let me know if you are a member of a gym in NYC that is not miserable right now, full of new people who just fill the gym up from January and February and March and then quit. And tell me where that gym is b/c I want to join.

I am going to start a line of gyms that are divided up into sections, the more frequently you go, you "graduate" to higher, better, sections of the gym. So after the new year, you just walk by all the newbies to your special section. Think that would work?
Truth be told, this is how the "fake" gyms make there money. They sign up all these people knowing that most of them will stop going but KEEP paying.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Over all I do see your idea, more or less your basically categorizing people while at the same time trying to make a profit.

Why not make it easy on yourself and just open a small gym that caters to the people you want. These gyms are doing well irrespective of the economy's condition.

The hell with 24h and B total fit! They are a bunch of con artist who scam people with the tricky contracts and are complete fakes when it comes to serious training.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times
gym in the basement is the way to go i think, wait i dont have a basment, maybe i could put some equipment in the kitchen since i dont cook

Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Thanks glad to know one person would come to my gym. i will call it Rewards Gym

if you go frequently you move up, if you go constantly you are a "gold member" and get to work out only with other gold members and sometimes get free one on one training

if you slack off for a week, you get demoted, if you slack off a lot you get stuck with the newbies ,it would be a motivational thing lol
I like your idea Rudbeckia. It's a good one that might find a niche. The big gyms would never go for it though. They rely on the newbies and go out of their way to accommodate them at the expense of their longer tenured customers.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Thanks glad to know one person would come to my gym. i will call it Rewards Gym

if you go frequently you move up, if you go constantly you are a "gold member" and get to work out only with other gold members and sometimes get free one on one training

if you slack off for a week, you get demoted, if you slack off a lot you get stuck with the newbies ,it would be a motivational thing lol

I'd like to sign up for your gym. However I'm afraid I might be too mediocre for the Gold members and too advanced for the newbies. Can I go in your section or better yet, can you be my personal trainer? Thanks.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
Miles - I think you could still join as long as you can lift more than 5 lbs and don't bring your best girlfriends with you to giggle and gossip with and NOT work out.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
You too?
and here i thought i was the only one.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Miles - I think you could still join as long as you can lift more than 5 lbs and don't bring your best girlfriends with you to giggle and gossip with and NOT work out.
Thanks Irish Eyes! I'm on!!

No problem with girlfriends as there are none, and I can push 5 lbs easily - even with one arm!!!

Thanks for the invite..so Rudbeckia's gym is on its way!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: