U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,807,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Says something about you, doesn't it?
Yeah, I like nice, safe, clean neighborhoods, which Whitestone is a perfect example of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,692 times
jcoltrane - Thanks for your insight into the history of Whitestone NY. I never knew Whitestone was built for returning vets funded on government money. That explains a lot.

I agree that this area will one day become Asian/Hispanic with a mix of hardworking europeans. The old timers here don't work hard NOR instill any sense of hard work in their children. All this is happening while the immigrant Asians and Hispanics are WORKING. Asians are working their kids in school. The Hispanics are doing all the menial work, which I think one day will translate into businesses and/or managerial positions (since they have all this know-how). Old timers here complain a lot and just want it how it was 60 years ago. Their kids don't seem all that academically stellar either. All they do, it seems, is play around with cars. I can't imagine too much future in that. I do feel sorry for them, they seem so stuck in the past.

Whitestone, NY is a safe, nice, clean place to live. You won't get mugged. But that's just the surface.

Unless the old-timers here wake up and realize we live in the 21st century and start competing globally and working REAL hard like the other immigrants, they're going to get left in the dust. This whole community will get bought out by the the asians/hispanics/or anyone else willing to work hard.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 142 times
Not sure anyone on this board knows what they are talking about. It's not about people in Whitestone being racist, where the heck did that come from? The issue is others coming in and trying to destroy the way of life we have built here and that is regardless of their nationality.

I grew up in Whitestone and am raising kids in Whitestone. Whitestone is one of the best neighborhoods in NY. It is clean, filled with working professionals who are mostly trying to just do the right things with their lives such as raise happy and healthy kids, live in a clean, friendly and safe neighborhood. It has ample shopping, decent restaurants and it is 15 minutes commute to the city via the LIRR.

The outskirts of Whitestone are changing (nearing College Point or as you go in to North Flushing). Asians have literally pushed out every other culturally diverse population of people in those areas with their Chinese government funded loans and bags of cash. They just buy everything up with cash and then move 2-3 families into what was a single family home. This does so many bad things to a neighborhood, it is ridiculous. This erodes the neighborly aspect of any block or neighborhood. Neighbors see things as getting worse (i.e. they cant find parking in front of their own house any more cause the new neighbors have 6 cars instead of 2, their supermarket is now replaced with a big foreign market selling food and goods they do not eat or use, their kids no longer have friends on the block or any that speak the same language).

Sorry, I do not want that in my neighborhood and if that is your intention and you feel some tension from me when I see you then so be it; its not racism its disgust and the disappointment that my neighborhood is further slipping away and that you have something to do with that.

My two oldest friends in life, that I trust with my kids lives, are from Whitestone one is Black and the other is Spanish (I am Irish/Italian in case you were wondering). I have known them for 30+ years. They want the same life for their families as I want for mine and they do all of the right things, they push their kids in school, they participate in their kids lives, they work hard, they take care of their house and property, they care about the neighborhood while also acting like neighbors. So trust me all of these people on this board talking about Whitestone being racist are flat out wrong, you just don't know what you are talking about. We don't like people changing our neighborhood because it is ours, we have roots here, we've all invested time, money and energy in this area and we like it the way it is. I am not moving anytime soon so not sure why one poster above thinks everything will change in the years ahead. I have long deep roots here and no one I know is leaving anytime soon either (and that's a lot of people and their kids cause I have been here a long time). My kids are planning to have families and homes in Whitestone as well.

You are more then welcome to move to Whitestone but if you think knocking down a one family home to put up a 3 family attached concrete jungle is your ideal neighborhood then keep moving on (go to Flushing, College Point or Bayside for that), I don't want you in Whitestone and I will let you know. If you think, its ok to slap a religious Cross on a house and declare it a church so you can achieve a tax status, think again and keep on moving cause I will knock on your door and let you know that you are not welcomed. If you are criminal or leech living off of government systems, keep on moving cause I will make sure that you know you are not wanted.

People taking this as being racist is so far from the truth. I just want a good place to raise kids that is nice and clean, fairly quiet and safe. If you are not bringing those ideals with you when moving to this neighborhood, then I hope everyone that looks at you gives you that feeling that you don't belong here; I know I will regardless of your nationality, skin color, etc...

Old 11-17-2014, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 142 times
Quote:
Non whites and Transplants looking to find and become apart of *community* will be sorely disappointed, which is the true reality which lucid_dreams and moma1235 attempted to portray.
See you just don't get it which is odd cause you seem quite knowledgeable. You shouldn't portray that nonwhites cannot establish home base here, from my experience everyone can. Just as long as you are not looking to flip the neighborhood upside down with your culture. There is an existing culture in Whitestone, you can join it but we did not ask for it to be changed so please stay away if that is your intention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City