Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:16 PM

142 posts, read 504,987 times

Advertisements

Where is Whitestone? How long/difficult a commute is it to the city? What is it like?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Whitestone is in Queens, close to Flushing and College Point area. Whitestone is a nice area, but College Point does have some parts that are not as nice because it is mainly factories and warehouses. Just mentioning it because they are neighboring towns. I'm not too familar with public transportation to the city, but by train, I think the easiest would be to take a bus to Flushing (Main St. area) and jump on the 7 train into midtown/Grand Central area. The 7 train does run express, but from what I hear, it is not very dependable.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 16,194 times
Whitestone Is in Queens Nyc Next to the bronx

Good Neighborhood not great

No subway sadly

Alot of NYC bus cause of main street flushing is not far

Q14 Q15 Q16 Q20B Q34 Q44 Q76 and a few more lots of big roads best for driving

population is changing loads of spanish and few blacks moving in the area
lots of whites and asians i mean alot of asians

****it is not i mean NOT Like Howard beach. Howard beach is a perfect area and is protected by the mafia and will always stay a white neighborhood *****

whitestone is protected by the 109th. Its a normal area and is going to change alot. Whitestone is NOT a racist neighborhood.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Great area to live, but to get to the City good luck, you might as well live in Suffolk county, Jersey or Upstate.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,938 times
It takes about an 1 1/2- 2 hours to get to Manhattan from Whitestone. Been living there (Beechhurst) all my life, BTW I'm of Asian descent and moved in the early 80's, when there were hardly any other "minorities" around, unless you count ethnic whites( Italians, Irish, Greeks, Jews)- which there are plenty of. As far as racism goes, don't believe anyone who says that Whitestone is NOT racist, because it is VERY RACIST. Although there has been a recent influx of Asians and Latinos, that has only heightened the racism even more so, especially after 911. There have been times whilst shopping at Waldbaums, I was subjected to bizarre and unwarranted racist remarks and treatment, often by the implication that I was up to no good via terrorism. How some ignorant Whitestoners connect an east asian man with Arabic terrorists, I'll never know. But that's what you get when you live in a NYC suburb that feels like the deep south or worse, Upstate NY. The thing is, some of these people are so sheltered and isolated, many were born there and will die there, never to venture out beyond their comfort zone. It really is sad, but for the most part, the people tend to be either affluent(Jews/Italians/Irish) living in Malba/ LeHarve or blue collar shmoes- who live at home and wait for there elderly parents to die off in order to inherit the house. Other than that, it's not a bad place to live, but if you're white and like Sarah Palin and FoxNews- consider Whitestone to be Utopian, perhaps not as "perfect" as Howard Beach-whatever that means, but close to it, like Staten Island.

Last edited by lucid_dreams; 02-05-2010 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 9,263 times
I can't believe what lucid_dream said about Whitestone being racist! It's SOOOOOOOOO true. After living here for a few years it's sooooo true. As a non-white, I used to live in a neighboring town with many lovely european immigrants that I still cherish in my heart. I have never experienced any of the racism like I do here in Whitestone, NY. It's really amazing. It almost feels like I'm in some insular middle part of the country. It's disturbing living here. I make sure I keep my home and lawn immaculately clean, just the way they like it. Yet they still make me feel I have some third eye growing out of my forehead. .....

Many here love Fox News and Sarah Palin. If you actually live here many times their racist come off in 2 ways - 1) outward annoyance/disgust or 2) a feign act of 'friendliness' where all they want to do is know your business. And yes there are many blue collar schmoes (sorry to use this word) here that inherited their house, because there's no way they could have afforded it on their own. Try not to be neighbors with these people, if you can. Ughh. It's like they never stepped out of the 1950s. They're also really nosy. It's just not a peaceful and trusting place to be.

If you're non-white and rent here, people don't bother you too much. Because you're not a threat to them. But if you are non-white and OWN a house here, ohhhhh...... get ready for their scrutiny, nosy-bodies and all sorts of weird nonsense.

This is just my experience here.

Last edited by moma1234; 04-10-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
I love Whitestone. One of my favorite nabes in the whole city. Very safe area, along with Bayside.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I love Whitestone. One of my favorite nabes in the whole city. Very safe area, along with Bayside.
Says something about you, doesn't it?

The fact is that any neighborhood within NYC, which has a traditional majority of white ethnics, will have similar racial prejudice.

Much of this is simply an extension of insular European village life. Leary of outsiders and the 'other', judgmental and competitive, with a collective need to feel superior.

Such is the white NYC ethnic mindset, found in old neighborhoods and middle class class suburban areas of Long Island and New Jersey.

Many of these such areas *lean* Republican and are fiscally conservative. Yet, when it comes to social issues they, generally, associate with the Democrats. While many may have certain negative racial opinions, they are liberal in terms of issues like abortion and Gay Rights; and only appear morally conservative against the Far Left centered in Manhattan and the trendy areas of Brooklyn. Outnumbered they have little political voice and/or influence within NYC politics, and are closely aligned with the Republican suburbs.

As with many such areas cotianining a majority older generation, they are dying out, and their children, while inheriting the properties, have a greater affinity for more modern and larger housing (McMansions) found in the more distant suburbs.

This is an older Queens area built during the post war period for returning vets, originally financed through government programs, such as the VA, FHA, and other government programs. Many former and present residents and their familes, ALSO benefited from the GI Bill and other government programs aimed to raise up the slum dwelling white ethnic masses. These programs have been so successful that the mass of white ethnics have forgotten their slum dwelling roots and how they benefitted from the liberal policies of the past, government handouts and post war racial preferencial treatment.

As a mass whole, they politically live with the incorrect and exaggerated belief that their rise from slum dwelling foregners to prosperous middle class Americans was a matter wholly of individiual merit and group values. The latest generation or two appear wholly ignorant of the liberal government policies and racial preference upon which their place in society rests.

Non whites and Transplants looking to find and become apart of *community* will be sorely disappointed, which is the true reality which lucid_dreams and moma1235 attempted to portray.

Other than the above, the area is physically attractive, well kept, and well served by various highways and roadways. It is in a former double fare zone, which means the overwhelming majority MUST take the bus to the subway (or drive); many commute by Express Bus or LIRR. The area is distant from Manhattan, car centric, suburban like, and socializing is Mall and Long Island oriented. Other than work, little non-work time is spent in Manhattan. There is close and easy access to Long Island and its suburbs, malls, restaurants and clubs.

The future of Whitestone is a Hispanic and Asian future, as older generations die out and their children abandon the area for true suburbian and exurbian lifestyles.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Whitestone is in Queens, close to Flushing and College Point area. Whitestone is a nice area, but College Point does have some parts that are not as nice because it is mainly factories and warehouses. Just mentioning it because they are neighboring towns. I'm not too familar with public transportation to the city, but by train, I think the easiest would be to take a bus to Flushing (Main St. area) and jump on the 7 train into midtown/Grand Central area. The 7 train does run express, but from what I hear, it is not very dependable.
Neither Whitestone nor College Point are "towns"! They are neighborhoods within the borough of Queens, one of the five boroughs comprising NYC.

Neither are they suburbs!

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

One of the benefits of these facts is that residents pay NYC property taxes which can be a third to a quarter of that paid in the suburban areas of Long Island, New Jersey and 'Upstate' NY.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc4life150thst View Post
Whitestone Is in Queens Nyc Next to the bronx

Good Neighborhood not great

No subway sadly

Alot of NYC bus cause of main street flushing is not far

Q14 Q15 Q16 Q20B Q34 Q44 Q76 and a few more lots of big roads best for driving

population is changing loads of spanish and few blacks moving in the area
lots of whites and asians i mean alot of asians

****it is not i mean NOT Like Howard beach. Howard beach is a perfect area and is protected by the mafia and will always stay a white neighborhood *****

whitestone is protected by the 109th. Its a normal area and is going to change alot. Whitestone is NOT a racist neighborhood.
This is the most idiotic post in some time!

Whitestone is in Queens and Queens is NOT next to The Bronx!

People if you do not KNOW, then why post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City