Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM

19 posts, read 60,971 times

Advertisements

What is the point of this post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 24,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
I did not want to appear uncivilized and argue with a delivery boy in front of white people, they'll look down on me.
Lol @ "uncivilized". OH NO THE ETHNIC PPL ARE ACTING LIKE SAVAGES AGAIN RUN!!!!!! lmao. This is silly, the people in the loby probably could care less about what was going on with you and the delivery guy. Futhermore, you could have expressed yourself discretely. I think the better way to have phrased this in your initial post is that you did not want to cause a scene. I mean would it have been okay to appear "uncivilized" in front of a different racial group? Also, so what if someone did think you were "uncivilized" does that make it so?

I understand your point though. I do hate for someone to assume what I should do with my money. I think you should be allowed to give the tip yourself. However, $22 meal and $25 bucks ummm yeah.... you should have been saying keep the change and adding a little bit more.

Last edited by BlkTechChica; 01-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: oops sp error

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM

52 posts, read 150,174 times
listen, i'm married to a chinese woman, and they just don't come from a culture where tipping is expected. i find myself making excuses, "he did a good job, it's cold outside, it's new years eve, etc." anyway, that might be why the "white people" comment.
Tipping is whatever. If there was no such thing as tips, we would be paying $2 more for that chinese food order anyway.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,693 times
The bottom line is that in New York City a tip for a delivery person is indeed MANDATORY. Maybe not in China or somewhere else like France (service compris) but here a tip is required. When in Rome do as the Romans do ya know??

On the flip side, I get very upset by this new "no change" scam. Delivery guys back in the day NEVER did anything like that and now its quite the common thing. I could see him not having change for the few bucks, but they'll do it for like $10 or so and I think that is highly rude and presumptuous to try to unwittingly force me into a tip that size. When they do that I go back and count out exact change from my change purse or tell them to come back with the change..yeah literally two seconds later they're back with the correct change. I'm not cheap but I refuse to be scammed..

Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,488,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
What are we talking about here - are you gypping the delivery person out of a tip or trying to make love to them?
This reminds me of my brother when he went to the Chicken Ranch brothel in Pahrump, NV. After he told me it cost $300 (for the 1.5 hours) he asked me if he should have tipped her. I replied "for $300...you should have given her the whole thing!"

Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
This reminds me of my brother when he went to the Chicken Ranch brothel in Pahrump, NV. After he told me it cost $300 (for the 1.5 hours) he asked me if he should have tipped her. I replied "for $300...you should have given her the whole thing!"
I don't get it. Can you explain?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,499 times
I don't get it either.
You're saying that tips not required at brothels.
How is that similar to this story?
Is it your opinion that we shouldn't have to tip delivery ppl?

Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
On the flip side, I get very upset by this new "no change" scam. Delivery guys back in the day NEVER did anything like that and now its quite the common thing. I could see him not having change for the few bucks, but they'll do it for like $10 or so and I think that is highly rude and presumptuous to try to unwittingly force me into a tip that size. When they do that I go back and count out exact change from my change purse or tell them to come back with the change..yeah literally two seconds later they're back with the correct change. I'm not cheap but I refuse to be scammed..
I don't live in New York but I recently experienced the same thing with a pizza delivery. I didn't have change, either, so the delivery guy ended up with a considerably bigger tip than intended. I wasn't happy about it but I'll plan ahead better in the future.

I consider myself a decent tipper, but we've become a society where tips are expected, even demanded, for everything. That is not what tipping is all about.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Guys and Gals, sometimes we just have to let our hairs down now and again and lighten up. Life is pretty tough and we're going through some difficult economic times with jobs and finances. Maybe that's why Saobi's delivery guys no longer bring change. They need to collect money not give back any.
I have never met a delivery guy or taxi driver who didn't have change of at least a $20. Okay maybe it is unrealistic to whip out a $100 bill for a $22 meal and expect change, but come on, part of their job is making change.

PERHAPS the delivery guys in Saobi's neighborhood know HIM and his method of tipping and plan to have no change when they go to his door.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
I did not want to appear uncivilized and argue with a delivery boy in front of white people, they'll look down on me.
So what are you that we would look down on you? Cyclops? Ogre? And why do you instantly assume we would? There are plenty of cheap white people that would cheer you on as a matter of fact!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City