Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 PM

101 posts, read 162,886 times

Advertisements

Today I came home from work late, and did not want to go out for food. So I called a Chinese delivery service: Yangchow Fried Rice + General Tso's Chicken + Mao Po Tofu, total 22 dollars.

I gave the delivery boy 25 dollars. The guy said he did not have any change, implying that I should just give him the 25 dollars without change. Do you really want me to believe a delivery boy will not carry change with him? I was about to ask him to go back and get change. But then I saw many white people around in the lobby, so I had to let it go.

This is not a problem with money, I am a very generous man. But this kind thing, just makes you feel very unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Today I came home from work late, and did not want to go out for food. So I called a Chinese delivery service: Yangchow Fried Rice + General Tso's Chicken + Mao Po Tofu, total 22 dollars.

I gave the delivery boy 25 dollars. The guy said he did not have any change, implying that I should just give him the 25 dollars without change. Do you really want me to believe a delivery boy will not carry change with him? I was about to ask him to go back and get change. But then I saw many white people around in the lobby, so I had to let it go.

This is not a problem with money, I am a very generous man. But this kind thing, just makes you feel very unpleasant.
I was following your story until I hit the part I have highlighted in bold - what does this have to do with your delivery boy not having change?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,529 times
Quote:

I don't understand what you're implying.

??

Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
The vibe I'm getting out of that statement is that the OP didn't want to give a bad impression of himself(or even his ethnicity/race/whatever) around the white folks. Who knows...

Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 AM

195 posts, read 741,441 times
Quote:

"...generous...."
You keep on having problem with the Chinese food and you keep on buying it!
Wondering your real "intention" right here!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 AM

195 posts, read 741,441 times
Quote:

Paying $22 dollars for food and you gave him only $25!!!
If the outside temperature is cold, I will give him $26 or $27 and ask him to keep the change!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:

1. So how much tip were you planning on giving?

2. Does this delivery guy have previous experience with your tipping habits?

3. How do you define "generous?"

4. What does the pigmentation of the people in the lobby have to do with anything?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Yeah, you know us white folk are such a menace to society, you don't want to be low-balling on tips around us man!!! Lol, I see what you're getting at, that it seemed a little pretentious to just assume you were letting him keep the change as a tip, but if you like their food I wouldn't let that bother you so much. Besides for a $22 delivery, $3 is the very least you should give him anyway.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Were you not going to tip him? You should have at least been giving him that extra $3 in tip, especially in this weather.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Perhaps you should consider a different Chinese delivery service? And I'm curious about those "white people in the lobby," too. What difference does it make...and why were they hanging around in the lobby, anyway? Waiting for trouble with a Chinese delivery service, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City