U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 945 times
Lightbulb Overwhelmed researching New York-Help!!

My boyfriend and i are from England and wales and really want to move to and rent in New York for 6 months+ starting possibly in November when we will both be 23. Having just finished our Fine Art and classical music degrees, we havnt got high paid jobs yet and i am really worried we wont be able to get anything well paid enough to afford New York living costs!! Been searching areas, i saw someone recommend East Villiage or Upper East Side?? oh and Queens?Somewhere safe enough, I doubt we will afford a car and i cant drive yet! Obviously we are young so nightlife and entertainment are important. I think there is no point moving and not being able to enjoy our time there by having no money!!! Not sure what our degrees would get us over there? Can anyone help me?!? Im so confused just don't know where to start! Thankyou :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 AM

404 posts, read 850,588 times
Hi and welcome. Have you posted in the NY City forum? The mods should move this there. Good luck in your move.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:16 PM

808 posts, read 1,333,982 times
Gina,

I'm in the same boat and gave up moving there altogether and just visit a lot. You can't really move there without having a job lined up and you can't have a job lined up unless you've already moved there. So unless your papa got money...

Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,951,487 times
As the prior poster said, you can't work here without the proper visa (NOT a tourist visa). And that won't happen unless you either apply and wait a few years OR find a company willing to sponsor your visa.

Your best bet is to work in the UK for a company that has offices here and then ask to be seconded.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:15 PM

Exactly.

I love coming to New York and looking at stuff and experiencing all it has to offer. But then some random guy serving me a pizza slice starts up with that "It's time for you to go now" crap and its back to the AirTrain for me.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,294,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Exactly.

I love coming to New York and looking at stuff and experiencing all it has to offer. But then some random guy serving me a pizza slice starts up with that "It's time for you to go now" crap and its back to the AirTrain for me.
Wow, the guy in the pizza shop reminds you what time you need to get to the airport in order to catch your flight?

My pizza guy really has something to learn. The only thing he remembers to tell me is how much I owe him.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Yep. Kinda like Cinderella. At midnight, her luxury coach turns into a pumpkin.

On your 4th tourist day in Manhattan, people know it when they look into your eyes. And its time you left. Or else.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 PM

2,312 posts, read 4,639,549 times
It's tough being a tourist in Manhattan. Much tougher than living there!! I know, I've done both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: