U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:26 PM

11 posts, read 62,251 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from out of state into the area. My spouse's firm has offices in Princeton, NJ and I will join work either
a) a few blocks up from Grand Central or
b) at the eastern tip of downtown Manhattan (I have to choose between one of two firms that I can join).

We are both quite clueless about the area. Can someone suggest possible places in the middle from where the commute would be manageable? Will it be possible for both of us to have commuted under one hour? Driving/owning a car/parking a car away from home all are options. In fact if there is anything that can help us cut commute times to around 45 minutes for each one of us, we will seriously consider it.

What are the transit websites that we should be looking at? Will appreciate any help at all, we are completely lost right now.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,635,552 times
First off, let's clarify location. When you say tip of Manhattan, there's only a northern (relatively residential) and a southern one. There is an east side though. Grand Central is on east 42nd Street which is called the 'midtown' area. Downtown could be anywhere south of there including the Wall Street area.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:44 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
I lived in Princeton for a year and a half - the only time I've NOT lived in NYC. But it's a little over an hour by train from NYC - and parking places at the Princeton Junction train station are on a waiting list that's YEARS long.

How about somewhere like Edison or a little further north? You don't say what your housing preference or budget are...that would help.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 AM

11 posts, read 62,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
First off, let's clarify location. When you say tip of Manhattan, there's only a northern (relatively residential) and a southern one.
I meant the southern tip - I am a bit hazy about the names of the neighborhoods. The exact location is near the intersection of Broad St. and Water St.

Let me reiterate though - I still have to choose between one of two firms. One of them is in the Midtown area (just a few blocks north of Grand Central) and the other is at the intersection of Broad and Water St.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,635,552 times
OK, good. The Broad and Water location would be in the Wall Street area, more specifically right across from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal (ie, the extreme SE tip of Manhattan).

There is a map of the various NJ train lines here - www.njtransit.com/rg_sm.shtml (broken link) and click on the rail map to show all the branches. This will show towns that are on the route into Penn Station in Manhattan (32nd & 7th Ave) which is a major transportation hub. You'll see Grand Central on the purple line.

I'm going to suggest you have this inquiry moved to the New Jersey thread as you'll get better info about the towns in NJ as well as hints from those commuters who travel into Manhattan.

Here is a good map of the NYC subway system - www.nycsubway.org/maps/route.html. You'll find Penn Station on the blue line south of Central Park.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,291 times
Default I would suggest Princeton

I would suggest Princeton,NJ

Since ur spouse works at Princeton and you need to commute to NYC, u have 2 options:
Either take the NJT or take the NYC Bus (Park & Ride Program)

Most of us do so. I live at Princeton Walk (4.8 mile to the train station and 5 miles to the 8A Turnpike exit where i can take the park & Ride but to 42 nd street.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
The train is only feasible if you can either walk to the train or get a regular ride, because you're NOT going to be parking at the train station. And, remember, once you get to NY, it's a significant trek to downtown.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 PM

22 posts, read 53,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachsulip View Post
I would suggest Princeton,NJ

Since ur spouse works at Princeton and you need to commute to NYC, u have 2 options:
Either take the NJT or take the NYC Bus (Park & Ride Program)

Most of us do so. I live at Princeton Walk (4.8 mile to the train station and 5 miles to the 8A Turnpike exit where i can take the park & Ride but to 42 nd street.
Hello .. where in Princeton walk to you live?.. I usually take the train from Princeton junction. Would like to try out the exit 8 A option as well.. I live in the north east village..

Thanks

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,537,883 times
Could live anywhere on the Northeast Corridor line- westfield, metchuen, whatever- guy goes to Newark and then to PATH then to N/R to Whitehall.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 AM

237 posts, read 351,296 times
I would second the Northeast Corridor line, which has easy train access to both Princeton and NYC. If you want somewhere around the middle, that would put you around the Edison/Woodbridge/Metuchen area. Hard to get more specific than that without knowing your budget, but I'd look into some towns around there. Metuchen & Edison themselves are good choices, or somewhere in Woodbridge Twp. near the Metropark station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or