U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 AM

808 posts, read 1,350,536 times
Picking up some cheese sounds good! I hope it will keep though during my flight...

I wish I could pick up some sauces...that would be the easiest but I think security would have a cow over it since its liquid.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 AM

3,225 posts, read 5,272,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Picking up some cheese sounds good! I hope it will keep though during my flight...

I wish I could pick up some sauces...that would be the easiest but I think security would have a cow over it since its liquid.
Jesse, go ahead and pick up all the great items the others have suggested.

I once traveled in a plane from the Caribbean to NYC and someone must have had a carry on luggage with some type of fish in it. I tell ya, that scent drove everyone nuts for the several hours of flying. People became nauseous, headed frequently to the bathroom, whipped out cans of Lysol, covered their nostrils with giant-sized hankies, cried, begged...the awful, pungent, not sweet smelling aroma of raw fish is one that most of my fellow passengers never forgot. To this day, whenever I see raw fish at the supermarket, I bolt out of the store like Jaws was after me.

I think you should be fine, in comparison, with the gourmert cheeses and other delicacies recommended here.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,686,280 times
My father once took a stinky garlicky kielbasa on an international flight. As they were filing out, an elderly woman was in front of him and everyone made faces at her, blaming her for the stink, and good old dad went along with it!

Oh, and the time the rum bottle broke and spilled all over the floor in the airport in Barbados. Those were the days!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:56 PM

6,964 posts, read 11,506,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post

Speaking of cows, this NY Times article says the Chinese beef jerky available in NY Chinatown is an "only in NY" item. Article is from 2004 so check to make sure the store is still open if you are going to go there. Says it is made fresh every day.

Edited to say that I have been to this place in 2004 and did buy the products there but have no recollection of whether I liked it or not...difficult time in my life in general and I blocked everything out!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/07/ny...se&oref=slogin

Old 01-30-2009, 09:17 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,272,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Speaking of cows, this NY Times article says the Chinese beef jerky available in NY Chinatown is an "only in NY" item. Article is from 2004 so check to make sure the store is still open if you are going to go there. Says it is made fresh every day.

Edited to say that I have been to this place in 2004 and did buy the products there but have no recollection of whether I liked it or not...difficult time in my life in general and I blocked everything out!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/07/ny...se&oref=slogin
Thank you, Henna, for that link. A usual, you are there to provide the OP and others like myself with info that we need in planning events and making decisions. I am often overwhelmed at your high level of expertise and capabilities in quickly supplying links and sharing your body of knowledge with us all.

I am thanking you on behalf of several posters for being there for us so often when we need expert advice or a link to such. I am sincerely thankful for your link above as I too am interested in purchasing some Chinese beef jerky.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-31-2009 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Removed discussion of guidelines.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 PM

6,964 posts, read 11,506,392 times
Moderator cut: comment

Speaking of Chinatown, I have noticed how resilient they seem in the face of this downturn as business is still booming since they keep their prices low! You might even be able to get a modest cut in the prices of the beef jerky from the 2004 prices in the article I cited. But I should probably be doing no commenting on what might or might not be a modest cut in the prices of beef jerky in Chinatown -- as I'm sure you can figure it out yourself when you go there!

Last edited by Keeper; 01-31-2009 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: orphaned response

Old 01-31-2009, 10:07 PM

719 posts, read 1,450,350 times
These are very specific dessert choices that i've tested and overwhelmingly approve. Deviate from the suggestions at your own risk:

D'auito's on 34th and 8th for cheesecake.
Magnolias on 49th and 6th for banana pudding.
Buttercup on 52nd and 2nd for cupcakes.
Veniero's on 11th and 1st for chocolate covered macaroons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City