Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:27 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,356,438 times

Advertisements

I'm debating making a move from the Virginia suburbs of DC to Brooklyn (Park Slope to be specific. I'm having a hard time however figuring out the cost and practicality of bringing my car up to New York. I know that car insurance is much more expensive, but it seems impossible to find a place willing to give me a quote; and I realize that since there are so many different factors to take into account when adjusting a person's insurance such as driving record, type of car, age, neighborhood, etc., but could someone give me a general idea of how much insurance will run? I'm 25 years old, drive a '97 Ford Taurus with 130,000 miles on it, with a near spotless driving record (ticket for running a stop sign when I was 18, and a minor fender bender a year ago). Here in Virginia, I have my insurance set up so that I pay twice a year around $415 every six months, so a total of $830 a year. This just went down due to my passing the 25 age bracket from around $960 a year. I called my melodramatic insurance agent today and she said that insurance could be "two, three, four thousand dollars" but I don't think she has a clue what she's talking about, so without exaggerating could anyone, preferably someone who's lived in Brooklyn, give me some sort of idea as to how much insurance would run me (or how much they paid)?

I'd also like to hear about the "hidden" costs of changing residency. What's the fee for registering a car? Is there a car tax I'll have to pay? License plates? Any sort of safety/emissions testing? The cost for a new driver's license? Or any other hidden tax/cost that arises when moving to New York (related to cars or otherwise) that I should know about. I know that's a lot of information, but I've been trying to research the cost of such things and have been coming up blank and figured that most likely someone who is a New York transplant themselves, has a good gauge on the cost of these things. I just don't want to be surprised by any "sudden" exorbitant expenses if I decide to move up there.

I know that I probably shouldn't bring my car. I went to college in New Jersey and am somewhat familiar with the New York area so I realize how easy it is to get around without a car. However, I have friends from college scattered across the Tri-State region, and think I would like to visit them from time to time, and just feel that a car would be so much more convenient rather than two hour train rides. I just don't know if it's worth it though, in terms of finding parking on a daily basis, the cost of parking, and the cost of having a car in New York period. I'm debating bringing my car up initially while keeping it registered in Virginia, maybe for a few weeks or so, and just sort of seeing how it goes in terms of the practicality of owning a car in Brooklyn, and if it's just ridiculous, will then drop my car off at my dad's or someplace in Virginia and live out the rest of my one year lease without a car. I don't plan to sell my car because I only plan to stay in Brooklyn for the year, and after that year is up, I'm sure I'll need the car again.

Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dullnboring; 06-20-2006 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2006, 11:46 PM

41 posts, read 124,096 times
I don't live in NY but try progressive insurance, they give you a little discount for paying your 6 month premium in full.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
Default Never, Ever Use Progressive!

NEVER, EVER USE PROGRESSIVE!
I believe, Progressive inc. does a bait and switch to their loyal customers when they change addresses!
YOU BE THE JUDGE!
Timeline:
Jan 10, 2006- I move from the Santa Monica area to Pasadena
Jan 13th- My old Progressive policy EXPIRES for $620 every 6 months
Jan 14th- 2:32 pm- I log onto Progressive Direct and change my address
Jan 14th- 4:30 pm- I log back into Progressive, IT SHOWS MY NEW ADDRESS and that 6 months of

coverage will be $620
Jan 14th- 4:35pm- I pay $620 online and receive confirmation of payment.
Feb 10th- I recieve a bill for and ADDITIONAL $220 due to my change of address. I call to inform them that

my change of address happened 2 hours BEFORE I paid for my new policy. They tell me that a change of

address can take up to 3 days and that I must pay the new amount or pay a $50 cancelation penalty.

Remember, I made this change AFTER my old policy had expired and had NO obligation to renew with them.

I could have logged in an a new customer and gotten an instant quote for the correct amount but as, an

existing customer it takes up to 3 days to get an accurate rate????
They are able to give immediate quotes for non-customers but 2 hours to update my rate as loyal

customer was insufficient????
At no time, before I paid, did their website tell me there was a rate change. When I went to pay, their site

could have shown me the updated rate, said they were unable to give me a current rate or told me my that

the rate shown could change due to my recent address change, but it didn't. I feel that this deception must

be intentional because changing your address at the end of your policy must be a common occurence!

I challenge any representative of Progressive inc. to adequately dispute these claims!

STAY AWAY----STAY AWAY----STAY-AWAY!!!

Sincerely,
A. DLC

Old 08-14-2006, 03:59 PM

104 posts, read 385,863 times
Progressive is a horrible insurance company. You might as well just bend over as far as you can.

Do you need your car for work? If not, you won't need it.

I've lived in Queens for seven years, and have never owned a car while living there. No gas, no oil, no parking, no payments, no repairs, no alternate side of the street parking, no aggravation. It's money in your pocket!

If you ever needed use of a car, you can use Zipcar. http://www.zipcar.com/ I've heard good things about them.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:37 PM

I have heard similar complaints about Progressive. It seems like it should be much easier to get insurance quotes than it is.

While my initial plans to move to Brooklyn fell through, I just returned from a visit to the New York area and I think I'm going to re-open the possibility of moving there, more likely to Queens than Brooklyn, and if I choose to do so, I highly doubt that I'd bring my car. It just doesn't seem worth it. I also doubt I'll sell my car. I'm somewhat of a gypsy so I don't know exactly how long I would stay in New York if I were to move there and wouldn't want the hassle or cost of buying a new car so most likely, I'd just keep my car with a relative in Virginia while I'm in New York.

Thanks for the Zipcar advice. I feel like giving up my car would be giving up so much freedom to do some things but then I always try to remind myself that if I really need a car to go someplace hard-to-reach or far away, I can always rent one.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 128,294 times
Default Btw...

I've read some of your threads (especially the ones to Chemi and him moving from Australia to NYC) and you're hardly "dull n boring"!

Lots of luck to you on your move back to the Tri-State!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnj View Post
I've read some of your threads (especially the ones to Chemi and him moving from Australia to NYC) and you're hardly "dull n boring"!

Lots of luck to you on your move back to the Tri-State!
Awww shucks. Thanks! Green reps for being nice to me

It's ironic this thread was bumped recently because I've been having severe car problems lately that have left me incredibly angry and broke, and just hating how much I live in an area where I have to be dependant upon my car, which as you'd imagine has now become a big selling point in moving to New York. Unfortunately, I've had to postpone any move until December at the earliest. I'm not sure if I will move to New York or elsewhere. It's always rough in the dead of Winter to get in your car and convince yourself to drive NORTH. It feels so...wrong I've got two more planned visits in the coming months (actually, both this month) so we'll see if the city and my friends who are trying to convince me to move up, succeed in wooing me.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:07 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,047,223 times
Just saw this and thought I'd pipe in about cars in New York, NY, and in particular Park Slope. I had an old Saab, and before that an older Accord, registered and insured in the City. The downside: I believe I added up all my costs for the Saab, and it totaled more than the car was worth, at its demise, with fairly hefty insurance premiums (parking tickets--hard to avoid, with alternate side of the street, petrol and repairs).

However, even with those costs, I really liked the freedom to drive off on a Saturday morning anywhere the car and I wished to travel. I also drove the car intracity, to work once per fortnight, and within Brooklyn for shopping, eating, etc.

Although, posssible, for example to commute from Park Slope to Williamsburg by public transportation (2 subway trains, F, G), it was less than 10 minutes by car; 45 minutes by subway.

If I had to do it again (I'm in the SW now) I'd probably have another car, but perhaps pay more attention to parking violations, and price compare insurance costs.

Good luck, and the weather man/woman, is talking a mild winter

Old 10-01-2006, 05:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,844,738 times
I don't know why you want to have a car in NY...It's just not necessary. If you want to go somewhere for a weekend you can rent. All in all, I've lived here for years and never regretted giving up my car.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:38 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,476,552 times
I have a car and I need it for work. I also have my own driveway. I guess I take my driveway for granted and forget how lucky I am to have one.

When I lived in Manhattan, I had a car. A private parking place in my apartment complex would have cost $150 a month, I think, so I parked in the street. I had to move the car by 8 am the next day, or get a ticket. One morning I went to my car and realized it had been stolen. I had theft insurance so I got some money and I was also free of the hassles of the car. Also, it was rear-wheel drive and I hydroplaned a lot in the rain, so maybe the theft saved my life. But it was my first car and I was heartbroken. Whatever...

I did not need a car while living in Manhattan. My life was better without it.

A few years ago, I facilitated a class in someone's apartment in Manhattan, in the area near Lincoln Center. It routinely took me about an hour to find parking in the street.

But in Brooklyn, it is better to have a car. In Park Slope, it can be hard to find parking, but if you can find a way to park, be it a private space, even for a (reasonable) fee, or a system for finding parking in the street, that might save you headaches. It is a mega-hassle to have to worry about parking at your own home.

Very often in Brooklyn, I have to abort an errand because I cannot find parking. And when I do find parking, it is sometimes after lot of time and driving around searching for it. And sometimes I have to walk a bit to get where I want to go. Good for weight control, but not for groceries, etc. Fortunately, a lot of merchants will hold your packages until you bring your car to the front of the store and/or they will help you with them.

Parking tickets have become expensive, and the police can be overzealous. If you fight a ticket, you can often get the fine reduced, but you have to spend a long time waiting. It may be more cost effective to just pay it. Once, I opted for a hearing, and they sent me a kind of plea-bargain: If you forget about contesting the ticket you can pay a lower fine.

Car insurance in Brooklyn is very high, but it has come down a bit. At least Geico has. Car insurance has become competitive. There are commercials and direct mail advertisements. From what I can see, Geico is the one to underprice. I have had Geico for about 6 months, and I have no complaints. But I haven't had to file a claim.

Public transportation is plentiful in New York, but in the outer boroughs it is less so. Also, it is time consuming. And now, with terrorism concerns in crowds and on public transport, there is more of a safety factor. Crime happens sometimes, too, but it can happen anywhere, and New York, I think, is a pretty safe city.

One other thing. I drive a lot in Brooklyn, and the congestion seems to be getting worse and worse, even on ordinary streets. There is a lot of building going on, lots of condo buildings, and that means more people. Thankfully, I think some buildings will have garage space, but the traffic is not helped by that. Sometimes, it can take almost an hour to get from Sheepshead Bay to Park Slope, believe it or not.

In summary, it is good to have a car in Brooklyn. You save time, avoid public transportation if you want to, and have more freedom. You can shop for groceries more easily. You can choose whether to take the car or the subway. But you have to put up with the hassles of car ownership, which can be burdensome in New York. There is traffic congestion, difficulty parking, high insurance rates and, often, rude and even dangerous drivers. The bad drivers are not confined to Brooklyn, of course, but I think the congestion may make people more irritable.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by arel; 11-18-2006 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: