U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Status: "Seattle here I come!" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Dirty Jerz
1,011 posts, read 4,227,426 times
Reputation: 184

Advertisements

Rite over the 59th st bridge is Queens. My cousin lives there he's 24 and has never had an automobile license. He works in Manhattan. He's 3 minutes away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2007, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Kearny, NJ
5 posts, read 6,527 times
Reputation: 15
Default New Jersey can be cheaper.

I was born in Baltimore and have lived in New Jersey for the past 20 years. If you are interested in saving on income tax, NJ is cheaper than NY, since you don't have to pay the NYC residence tax, which is more than 4% (varies slightly by income). You still have to pay the NY state tax of 6.85% if you work in NYC. As others have said, Hoboken is rather costly, and even Jersey City is much more expensive than Austin. If you want a safe neighborhood that's only a 19-minute train ride ($1.20 per ride if you buy 20 or more) to Manhattan on the PATH train which runs 24/7, and which costs about the same as Hyde Park in Austin, Harrison is probably your best bet. It's not at all trendy, which keeps prices low, and there are some decent restaurants within walking distance. The crime rate is also very low. I live in the next town just north of Harrison, which is called Kearny (if you've seen "The Sopranos", it's mostly filmed in Kearny). The only minor problem with Kearny, which is prettier than Harrison and about the same cost, is that it's at least a one-mile walk to the Harrison PATH train station (Kearny has no station), whereas in Harrison, it's only a ten-minute walk. Many of my co-workers live in Harrison and Kearny. On the other hand, if you want to "be a part of it", or "see and be seen", this is not usually where the stars meet or greet--although Rod Stewart did visit Kearny last month to watch a soccer game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Status: "Seattle here I come!" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Dirty Jerz
1,011 posts, read 4,227,426 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJonKaplan View Post
I was born in Baltimore and have lived in New Jersey for the past 20 years. If you are interested in saving on income tax, NJ is cheaper than NY, since you don't have to pay the NYC residence tax, which is more than 4% (varies slightly by income). You still have to pay the NY state tax of 6.85% if you work in NYC. As others have said, Hoboken is rather costly, and even Jersey City is much more expensive than Austin. If you want a safe neighborhood that's only a 19-minute train ride ($1.20 per ride if you buy 20 or more) to Manhattan on the PATH train which runs 24/7, and which costs about the same as Hyde Park in Austin, Harrison is probably your best bet. It's not at all trendy, which keeps prices low, and there are some decent restaurants within walking distance. The crime rate is also very low. I live in the next town just north of Harrison, which is called Kearny (if you've seen "The Sopranos", it's mostly filmed in Kearny). The only minor problem with Kearny, which is prettier than Harrison and about the same cost, is that it's at least a one-mile walk to the Harrison PATH train station (Kearny has no station), whereas in Harrison, it's only a ten-minute walk. Many of my co-workers live in Harrison and Kearny. On the other hand, if you want to "be a part of it", or "see and be seen", this is not usually where the stars meet or greet--although Rod Stewart did visit Kearny last month to watch a soccer game.
I know we are talking about renting but property taxes in NYC are peanuts compared to Jersey if she were buying. Plus if your working in NYC but not living there they hit you with a "non-resident" NYC tax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2007, 08:27 PM
 
21 posts, read 112,546 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I know we are talking about renting but property taxes in NYC are peanuts compared to Jersey if she were buying. Plus if your working in NYC but not living there they hit you with a "non-resident" NYC tax!
There hasn't been a non-resident tax, aka a commuter tax, in NYC for many years now.

If you want cheap and cheap alone rent an illegal basement apartment in a private home in Queens. Lots of first year cops who barely break $35k do that to get by. If you want to experience NYC while you're young then do everything you can to get with a bunch of roomates and make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,832 posts, read 21,509,741 times
Reputation: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Rite over the 59th st bridge is Queens. My cousin lives there he's 24 and has never had an automobile license. He works in Manhattan. He's 3 minutes away!
The rent is cheaper over there. It is near the Queensbridge projects. Area has a bad rep. Having actually walked around there, how is the area? Do you know how the rents are going?

I know the cops seem to have a big presence at the Queensbridge train stop in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top