U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 PM

878 posts, read 1,815,608 times
If you don't mind traveling into Brooklyn try Sea or Peter Luger's. Peter Luger's is a steakhouse and Sea features thai cuisine. I think they were on Sex and the City but since I have never seen that show I can't say for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,109,880 times
Ok, I'll bite with the touristy theme

> Times Square - Esca. Its a little bit of a hike but solid restaurant of Mario Batali fame. Also Bar Americain which is one of Bobby Flays restaurants.
> Union square - Craft/Craftbar/Wichcraft (Tom Collichio of Top Chef). Walk a little bit more and you get to Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay)
> Madison Square Park - Shake Shack. Touristy in that its next to the famous flatiron building (turn around and you see the empire state building) and its a damn good burger, for cheap. Additionally they just redid the roads in the area so you can take great pics
> Any coffee cart - Its cheap and quick;what more is there to say

Old 02-01-2009, 11:05 PM

6,862 posts, read 11,286,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Can we convince you to eat at non-touristy spots? NYC has so much to offer.
Also, I would think OP could find out where the touristy places are in a second by going to a site where these sorts of things are compiled.

Doesn't the value of a resource such as the NYC City Data page lie in the fact that locals are on here and can tell you where their favorite places are?
Then again, it's hard to tell exactly where the value of this site lies, so in that case...use it however you want!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM

15,258 posts, read 12,443,440 times
Virgil's is for tourists & locals. It is located on 44th Street just East of Times Square. Great restaurant! One usually needs to wait for a table. So get on the list and then you will have time to walk around Times Square.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:26 PM

2,312 posts, read 4,637,844 times
If you go to a broadway show at night, eat at Junior's afterwards.

Shun Lee Palace has EXCELLENT fancy Chinese food.

Barbetta is a really pretty old Italian restaurant in the theatre district.

Keene's Chop House is a great old steakhouse in the west 30s. I think it might be the oldest restaurant in NY.

Try to find some pierogi in the East Village. I don't know what's open anymore....

Chinatown is also a great place to eat.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,082,471 times
Pellegrino's or La Mela in Little Italy (on Mulberry St)

Old 02-04-2009, 05:28 PM

104 posts, read 160,081 times
thanks for your suggestions guys! these are the exact type of places i was looking for.

im going to check out katz, and a few other recommended here.!!! thanks for your help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City