U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,003,165 times

Advertisements

NY Taxes...the bane of my existence. I just want to know who else out there has experienced this. I was balancing my check book this weekend and was adding into it my husbands paycheck (which goes in Direct Deposit). I noticed that the check was $50 less than normal. Not a huge deal, but I'm saving, so every penny (literally) counts. I call my hubby up and say "babe, did they cut your check for any reason?" his response is "no, I actually have 2 hours over time." Now my hubby is in the Union, so he gets double time for his overtime. So, basically he paid the citiy/state 50$ to work 2 hours over his regular time. Which is outrageous! I mean really give me 5$ from the 120$ I just worked for, but to take money from me because of that. To me this is AWFUL -

Last edited by Shoegal1075; 02-02-2009 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 PM

61 posts, read 161,395 times
Sadly, this happens everywhere. The extra cash pushed him into the next tax bracket, thus taking out more money.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM

71,520 posts, read 71,712,424 times
fret not, if overall hes not in that bracket at the end of the year its reduced to your regular bracket when you do your taxes and you either get it back or you are credited if you owe

Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 PM

2,003 posts, read 4,395,257 times
Default cheat em

The taxes here are burdensome. You almost have to get a bit of a racket going here to survive. Follow the lead of the politicians and cheat your ass off to get by. This town is for the poor and the rich the working class and middle class really get the shaft with huge taxes and hidden taxes like parking tickets and tolls.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,003,165 times
We see eye to ey on that samyn - is it not rediculous. I mean how the heck are we supposed to get by getting robbed like this.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:05 PM

718 posts, read 2,117,220 times
Its bad everywhere. I bet the ex-Long Islanders living in NC working for $10/hr instead of a NY salary are not having fun paying their "lower" taxes.

Add the extra taxes from O's wonderful stimulus. This is the king of inefficient spending and adding to our national debt. I am currently saving up for my great grandchildren to go to college.

I respect the fact O has better grasp on the harsh reality than clueless W, but O's vision is way off. And he recently bites the powerful hand that feeds him by criticizing investment bankers' bonuses. O is digging himself a hole fast while the middle class is downgraded to poverty.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,526,769 times
I keep thinking that there has to be a point where government simply cannot tax us any more. It seems we haven't reached that point yet, as outlandish as it sounds. Maybe as we get closer to it, there will be a movement in this country for a good old-fashioned tax revolt.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM

2,003 posts, read 4,395,257 times
Default top of the tax ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I keep thinking that there has to be a point where government simply cannot tax us any more. It seems we haven't reached that point yet, as outlandish as it sounds. Maybe as we get closer to it, there will be a movement in this country for a good old-fashioned tax revolt.
Denmark has socialized medicine and a 50% tax rate. I think O's new limo has a bumper sticker "Denmark or bust baby".

Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,672,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One of the problems is that many of us want government to do all manner of things for us with the minimum of taxation. Now that can be a real challenge!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 PM

718 posts, read 2,117,220 times
I cannot believe this. Corrupt ACORN is on the stimulus package. They dont deserve one cent. He will make Denmark look republican. Its more like USSR or bust. Get ready for a nightmare.

Ron Paul 2012 supporters meeting this weekend. All are invited. Homeless, black, white, Asian, American Indian, yuppies, hipsters (yes I said hipsters), gays, transvestites, illegals, tourists...we need numbers and promotion. Location TBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Denmark has socialized medicine and a 50% tax rate. I think O's new limo has a bumper sticker "Denmark or bust baby".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City