Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times

Advertisements

Where are some of the views in NYC that just stop you in your tracks and make you gasp in awe of the view you are seeing. Not necessarily from a skyscraper, but just when you are walking down the street or in a place that is accessible to everyone?

For me, one of them has to be looking north on Madison Ave at about 40th street where there is a bit of a hill. Looking down that canyon during rush hour on a clear day just floors me. You can't even see the end of Madison Ave, it looks like it goes on forever.

I also like walking into Manhattan from the Brooklyn Bridge and seeing the skyline, flag over the bridge, hearing people blasting biggie from their cars and watching the nypd helicopters above - it's like a sensory overload.

Also walking across the 59th street bridge into Queens and seeing the vastness of Queensbridge Houses, it's so massive it looks surreal. And the other way into Manhattan when you see all those colorful buildings on 2nd ave looking north - so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:11 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
You can get a good view by riding the Roosevelt Island Tram over the East River. The view on both sides is great.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Any street in a brownstone neighborhood.

The view across Jamaica Bay from the Marine Park Bridge.

From the north end of Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn, looking down the slope of Flatbush Avenue with the Manhattan skyline in the background.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
looking at manhattan while driving over the BQE and kosciuskzo (sp?) bridge

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 PM

415 posts, read 1,394,845 times
My rooftop view of midtown.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
My rooftop view of midtown.
I can relate to this. From my apartment, I've got a panorama across Brooklyn, with the entire Manhattan skyline as a backdrop.

Another positively awesome view: the harbor from midspan on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM

415 posts, read 1,394,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I can relate to this. From my apartment, I've got a panorama across Brooklyn, with the entire Manhattan skyline as a backdrop.

Another positively awesome view: the harbor from midspan on the Brooklyn Bridge.
I use to jog the BK bridge. You are correct. It is amazing.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
Some of my faves:

1. The view of the NY Life and Metropolitan Life buildings from 5th Avenue, across the street from Madison Square Park. Something about those beautiful old gold-roofed buildings rising above the trees is captivating.

2. Rounding the curve on the Southbound FDR after passing under the Williamsburg Bridge reveals a gorgeous view of the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges with the lower Manhattan skyscrapers in the background. Day or night, this one is a beauty.

3. The Verrazano Bridge from the esplanade next to the Belt Parkway. The sheer size and bulk of the bridge, combined with its graceful curves, really hits you from this vantage point.

4. Seeing the City from the LIE (or many other west-facing vantage points in Queens) just when the sun has just set on a clear night and the sky behind the buildings is lit up in beautiful shades of red, purple and blue. Absolutely breathtaking.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
Oh yeah, the view of Manhattan, Harlem and the South Bronx after crossing the Tri-Borough Bridge - mind boggling.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 AM

162 posts, read 601,915 times
Center Boulevard in Hunters Point and Weehawken near Port Imperial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: