Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,730 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article about census estimates for New York City and the surrounding areas. It mostly said that the NYC population will probably be around 8.3 Million people total. Not the fastest growing city in the country, but still growing from the last census in 2000.

It also talked about demographic changes. It said that Hispanics will be the fastest growing group, and so will people of Asian ethnicity.

It said that Whites in NYC from basically every borough, except Manhattan I believe, will be going down. It had an exception though with eastern europeans, which will have grown.

It said that the Bronx will see the largest increase in Black population.

It also said that Staten Island will see a large increase in Hispanics in 2010.

Is white flight still happening in NYC neighborhoods, why would they be expecting such a drop in the white population of New York? They say that this population would mostly include Germans, Irish, English, Italians, and Jews.

And, do you believe that these estimates are correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Where did you read this,Dexterguy? Interesting projections but how did they gather the info?

Probably doesn't have anything to do with anything like "white flight."The whole country is is getting less and less white all the time . Practically everywhere in the country has an increasing black and an increasing hispanic % of the population and a decreasing white %.I think I read somewhere that in less than 50 years whites will be the minority if the current trends continue.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
A lot of whites have moved to Long Island and upstate as well as Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania. Usually for better schools and less congestion. At least that's the reasons I've been hearing from people who have moved to places outside the city. There reasons are not so much racially motivated as they are quality of life issues when raising kids and owning or renting a home.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I was reading an article about census estimates for New York City and the surrounding areas. It mostly said that the NYC population will probably be around 8.3 Million people total. Not the fastest growing city in the country, but still growing from the last census in 2000.

It also talked about demographic changes. It said that Hispanics will be the fastest growing group, and so will people of Asian ethnicity.

It said that Whites in NYC from basically every borough, except Manhattan I believe, will be going down. It had an exception though with eastern europeans, which will have grown.

Is white flight still happening in NYC neighborhoods, why would they be expecting such a drop in the white population of New York? They say that this population would mostly include Germans, Irish, English, Italians, and Jews.

I think a lot of neighborhoods saw increases in Whites, but overall there still might have been more White people leaving.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 AM

132 posts, read 528,800 times
Quote:

Where is the article?
Here is another article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/12/ny.../12census.html
Quote:
After shrinking for decades, the proportion of New Yorkers who are white and non-Hispanic appears to have leveled off since 2000 and may even have risen slightly in 2006, the latest year surveyed by the census
Quote:
In the region, Asians were the only major racial or ethnic group to record population gains in every county in 2006. The Hispanic population grew in most counties, and the number of black residents declined in every borough except Richmond and in some suburban counties.

Quote:
The proportion of immigrants in the city, 36.9 percent, continued to inch toward the record of about 40 percent early in the 20th century
The highest numbers of immigrants currently arriving are from Mexico and China.

The non-Hispanic white population certainly will continue to decline and vanish in some neighborhoods of the outer boroughs. Staten Island, the Bronx, eastern Queens, south and southeast Brooklyn, etc... while younger whites make up for the difference in areas closer to Manhattan. The high birth rates of Orthodox Jews factors in an increasing or stable white population as well.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Where did you read this,Dexterguy? Interesting projections but how did they gather the info?

Probably doesn't have anything to do with anything like "white flight."The whole country is is getting less and less white all the time . Practically everywhere in the country has an increasing black and an increasing hispanic % of the population and a decreasing white %.I think I read somewhere that in less than 50 years whites will be the minority if the current trends continue.
I don't have any internet source, I read it in the New York Times (paper).

Old 02-06-2009, 02:55 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
Asians and Hispanics are becoming the majority just about everywhere now. The Soviets make up most of the European population now. When I am in Manhattan most whites I run into I expect to hear Ivan Drago

They are following typical immigration trends by starting out in the city and then eventually, just like whites branch out to the burbs and other states and make room for new immigrants.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:25 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
I saw alot of white people today in my neighborhood! They may just be from the schools, but still they're here.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM

My grandfather told me at one time there was almost a million Italians living in the city at one point. But today that number has dropped to 650,000, probably becuase of suburban expansion I would assume.

He (my grandfather) can even remember when there was actually strongholds in neighborhhods of the city by the Germans and the Irish. Today, most of those neighborhoods are long gone and are areas that are not even residential neighborhhods anymore.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Quote:
He (my grandfather) can even remember when there was actually strongholds in neighborhhods of the city by the Germans and the Irish. Today, most of those neighborhoods are long gone and are areas that are not even residential neighborhhods anymore.
I can remember, as a child, walking through Yorkville on my way to and from school. It was a very German neighborhood, and even today, retains some of that feeling along 86th street, although that has changed with the closure of many of the German stored (like Bremen House and the konditoreis along the street).

It's not a huge leap to see that things change over time. Fewer European born immigrants are coming to the US than they did in the early 20th century and, with that diminution, the areas to which these new immigrants were drawn have changed. The same is true for Washington Heights, which used to be known, in the late 1940s and early 1950s, as 'Frankfurt on the Hudson.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City