Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
My point was that once the buildings start being renovated, some people do not care that they are near projects, and will buy them anyway.

And you are crazy if you think parts of Harlem are not good real-estate investments.
The only people who made big money are long time Harlem residents who sold their property to developers and Columbia.

If you think professional real estate companies like Corcorran are wrong, then put your money where your mouth is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:40 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Harlem ain't The Village.

All it takes is a couple of muggings in The Village for the NYPD to flood the neighborhood with cops. Good luck in Harlem though.
There has always been muggings in the Village, has that stop people from moving there? People don't care how many muggings there are they want to live close to the center of entertainment. And will still be happening if it wasn't for the credit crunch. Same has been happening in Harlem. It also helps that Harlem is close to some expensive neighborhoods. Corcoran closed doors, not because of crime there, but because most people that can afford those asking prices in Harlem can't afford them anymore or can't get credit or bank loans. Not because they are scared of crime.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
The only people who made big money are long time Harlem residents who sold their property to developers and Columbia.

If you think professional real estate companies like Corcorran are wrong, then put your money where your mouth is.

You think Corcoran closed its office b/c they no longer think Harlem is a viable market?? you are wrong
http://ny.therealdeal.com/articles/corcoran-closes-harlem-office

just like everyone else in the country they are cutting cost and are combining offices

I am not in the market to buy right now, b/c I am in school and do not want to take out a giant loan to buy something when I can just rent for now, and wait until the day comes when I am not scared of not having a job from day to day.
But if i did have the means i would consider parts of Harlem b/c 1. it way more affordable 2. good location 3. if I were to buy, i would plan on staying for a while and I know i would get a return on the investment.

I have a client that works at Corcoran and she has told me several times, whenever if ever I do start looking, Harlem is the place to look

http://nymag.com/realestate/features/48328/

Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
I recently saw a poster for a new building--I believe it was actually a rental and not a co-op or condo--called the Avalon. The poster advertises its location next to Morningside Park. (The poster doesn't, however, say how much these units are renting for, although I suspect that the old adage holds true. If you have to ask, you can't afford it!)

Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM

16 posts, read 42,206 times
Well the Avalon, if I recall correctly, is on the Morningside Heights part of Morningside Park so that's pretty much deep in the UWS, not Harlem.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM

17 posts, read 64,738 times
Thanks for the input everyone! I still am in awe of the transformation going on there... because it's not at all for the original inhabitants.

Anywho, as for all the crime and mugging talk, I have never felt more in danger of my safety than walking on 8th ave in the 30's ... *shudder*

Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
So true! I never really thought about it but it is scary there.A neighborhood in Manhattan that's scarier than most of The Bronx.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamserge View Post
Well the Avalon, if I recall correctly, is on the Morningside Heights part of Morningside Park so that's pretty much deep in the UWS, not Harlem.
Morningside Heights is arguably its own neighborhood but if it is part of another neighborhood, it's Harlem not UWS.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:52 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
My friend put a down payment for a 7 figure place on 5th on the park condo (5th & 120street) a year ago. I am sorta scratching my head honestly.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJ27 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! I still am in awe of the transformation going on there... because it's not at all for the original inhabitants.
The original inhabitants, you say? Something tells me you aren't talking about the Dutch (the very name tells you who founded it: the area was named for the Dutch city of Haarlem).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City