Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 PM

105 posts, read 253,241 times

Advertisements

No. I have had people lie to me about being a DJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
OMG,that is too funny.Had to be from California.They always refer to roads with the definite article followed by a number.

That's how I knew they weren't from here. They're actually a know-it-all from Houston. The people from Houston CD think they know it all, especially about cities they never lived in and claim to have But calling it "Manhatten" really did it for me. I cracked up over that one. they claimed they typed it like that on purpose. That made me laugh even more They were trying to tell me you would get to midtown Manhattan from Astoria by taking the Triborough. Try again...there's a bridge 5-10 minutes away called the Queensboro bridge that takes you right into midtown

Old 02-10-2009, 03:50 PM

By the way, I can't STAND when people from NJ say they're from NY.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I find people typically lie about living in posh areas, or the amount of money they (or their families have). Regarding NYC specifically, I usually catch people not about being from NYC, but how long they have been there. They will say they are from NYC, but when pressed they just moved here 5 years ago. To me that does not count as being FROM a place...it means you LIVE in a place. If you are FROM a place, then your formative years should have been spent there...childhood through high school for example OR you should have spent a significant amount of your life there...like the past 20 years. Other than that..you are not FROM NYC, you LIVE there.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM

^^Yeah, it bothers me if transplants say they're "from" NYC. If you have lived here 20+ years, then yeah, I would say you're from NYC if you spent most of your life here. I lived in Queens until I was 3 years old, moved to Long Island, then back to Queens 2 years ago. I still consider myself from Long Island, but say I've spent some time of my life in Queens too.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:10 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I find people typically lie about living in posh areas, or the amount of money they (or their families have). Regarding NYC specifically, I usually catch people not about being from NYC, but how long they have been there. They will say they are from NYC, but when pressed they just moved here 5 years ago. To me that does not count as being FROM a place...it means you LIVE in a place. If you are FROM a place, then your formative years should have been spent there...childhood through high school for example OR you should have spent a significant amount of your life there...like the past 20 years. Other than that..you are not FROM NYC, you LIVE there.
I agree completely.I have been living in NYC for 35 years(almost double the amount of time I spent growing up in Boston) but whenever anyone asks me where I am from I say that I am from Boston.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,563 times
It is to the point that they want to be from here so bad. I once had a guy tell me that he was from Brooklyn. When I asked him what part, he said the part by Marcy Houses. When I asked him what street, He could not give me an exact block. I also love when they claim Flatbush but never stepped foot in the area.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
How does one lie about being from New York? Our accents are a true give away. Forget about it.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
I noticed a ton of Hipsters who reside in either Midtown or Lower East Side Manhattan or from Williamsburg Brooklyn or even near Red Hook who say they are FROM NYC but are really from the midwest like Ohio and whatnot.

What bothers me is that they think they are so hip and know all about NYC but only been in Manhattan and a few select parts of Broooklyn and probably never touched the other boroughs. Annoying.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
By the way, I can't STAND when people from NJ say they're from NY.
That's funny, because you wouldn't think anyone from New Jersey would even want to say that! (Then again, there may be some insufficient hometown pride on the other side of the Hudson. Who knows?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City