U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM

28 posts, read 50,262 times
o well guys. welcome to the new generation (im thinknig none of you who are hating on the youngens are less than 35) where we are all transplants by choice and we have nowhere to call a home. me personally, where do i say im from? i wasnt even born in my native country (im middle eastern) i was born outside bc a revolution was happening within. i lived in my native country 4 years, i lived in another country one year, then another one year, then a state within usa for one year, then in the midwest for 8 years, then south midwest for 4 years then nj for 2 years then ny for 8 years then dc for 2 years now back to ny and then off to florida.

sooooo you see, the new generation is a bit different than our parents age (im not going to assume but think you are that age) where we stay in marriages for 20 years even if they dont work, stay at a job for 20 years bc we want retirement Mod cut: language or stay in our same state for more than several years

nobody does that anymore, so.....with that said, i would say be a bit more respectful to those whose situations you dont understand. funny, like im giving my parents advice
heheheehe

so am i more midwest american, or new york american? or am i neither bc i was born in europe but never related? am i midwest even though they never accepted a brown girl? am i more east coast bc i blend in more and take to the culture.

hmmmmmm id say all my friends are like this as well, and i will say, this is the future of the international youth and future workforce.

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-08-2009 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM

8,752 posts, read 8,660,149 times
I would say you are a gypsy with no home. And your experience of living in a new country/state for 2-3 years is not common at all or representative of anyone other than the homeless. I hope one day you can find a place to call home, that way maybe you can learn to appreciate what it means and the sacrifices necessary to stay married for 20 years, or work hard at a job for 20 years so you can afford to retire, or be part of a neighborhood and community and see your kids grow up, and your neighbors kids grow up. Enjoy moving every 2 years...it is clear the instability and lack of any roots has jaded your views on life.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:11 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,784,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
LOL - When I was last in Florida, I had a lot of people say that, but most were from upstate. Technically, you are from NY even if you are from upstate, but still you know that when people ask if you are from NY they really my NYC. Hey let them have their dream! LOL
Now that's pretty flippin' nitpicky, dontchathink? If I'm out of state and someone asks where I'm from, I say New York. That's not me being undeservedly proud of THE CITY. If they then ask "Where in NY?", I'll say Syracuse. If they start talking about something like the Statue of Liberty or Broadway, I'll laugh and correct them with "Ohhhh nononono - lol - New York STATE, not NY City. There are about fifty-five thousand square miles outside of NYC and people *do* actually live there too. Some of us even LIKE it." It's not a matter of falsely claiming NYC... it's just the same name. It's not ALL about NewYorkCity. Geez. LOL - I like visiting just as much as anywhere else but I'm not walking around, claiming to be from it.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 PM

923 posts, read 2,330,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Now that's pretty flippin' nitpicky, dontchathink? If I'm out of state and someone asks where I'm from, I say New York. That's not me being undeservedly proud of THE CITY. If they then ask "Where in NY?", I'll say Syracuse. If they start talking about something like the Statue of Liberty or Broadway, I'll laugh and correct them with "Ohhhh nononono - lol - New York STATE, not NY City. There are about fifty-five thousand square miles outside of NYC and people *do* actually live there too. Some of us even LIKE it." It's not a matter of falsely claiming NYC... it's just the same name. It's not ALL about NewYorkCity. Geez. LOL - I like visiting just as much as anywhere else but I'm not walking around, claiming to be from it.
In my experience most people from Upstate go out of their way to point out they are NOT from the City.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 4,662,666 times
The only time people from NJ really say they're from "New York" is if they're traveling. For example, when I'm traveling, I sometimes say, "from NJ right near NYC", so that people have an idea of where I'm from geographically. I could see how a NJ person traveling abroad would say they're "from New York"...it's the closest major city. Just like someone from South Jersey might say "from Philadelphia". They ARE from that market, just like Northern NJ folks are from the NYC market. People in other countries don't really know what our states are. It's a point of reference...remember, everyone in Northern NJ relates to NYC ... job market, sports teams, TV market...just like people in Long Island do.

People in NJ have an immense sense of pride.

I've never heard someone in the NYC metro area, who is from NJ, say they're from NY.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
By the way, I can't STAND when people from NJ say they're from NY.
By the way, I can't STAND when football teams from NJ say they're from NY.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 AM

3,012 posts, read 3,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
The only time people from NJ really say they're from "New York" is if they're traveling. For example, when I'm traveling, I sometimes say, "from NJ right near NYC", so that people have an idea of where I'm from geographically. I could see how a NJ person traveling abroad would say they're "from New York"...it's the closest major city. Just like someone from South Jersey might say "from Philadelphia". They ARE from that market, just like Northern NJ folks are from the NYC market. People in other countries don't really know what our states are. It's a point of reference...remember, everyone in Northern NJ relates to NYC ... job market, sports teams, TV market...just like people in Long Island do.

People in NJ have an immense sense of pride.

I've never heard someone in the NYC metro area, who is from NJ, say they're from NY.
Not trying to sound ignorant . But your either from new york or your not. If someone ask u were your from, than they wanna know where ya from not what city is closest to u.

Last edited by K.O.N.Y; 04-09-2009 at 11:20 AM..

Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Not trying to sound like Mod cut: a stupid person . But your either from new york or your not. If someone ask u were your from, than they wanna know where ya from not what city is closest to u.
But my friend, somebody in Sweden might not know what the heck New Jersey means. Long Islanders can say they are from New York, because the STATE they live in is also called New York. So somebody abroad would instantly recognize the name New York.

Meanwhile, somebody from Northern NJ is just as much from New York CITY as someone from Long Island...meaning, neither are FROM NYC. But the Long Islander can still say they are "from New York" and have people know what they are talking about.

This is why NJ has an identity crisis like no other state does...

...it's hard for NYers to understand this because they have never experienced this in their personal adventures.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 AM

16,623 posts, read 12,988,033 times
Is it some sort of unwritten rule that you have to talk about your supposed mafia ties if you're from that area?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM

3,012 posts, read 3,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
But my friend, somebody in Sweden might not know what the heck New Jersey means. Long Islanders can say they are from New York, because the STATE they live in is also called New York. So somebody abroad would instantly recognize the name New York.

Meanwhile, somebody from Northern NJ is just as much from New York CITY as someone from Long Island...meaning, neither are FROM NYC. But the Long Islander can still say they are "from New York" and have people know what they are talking about.

This is why NJ has an identity crisis like no other state does...

...it's hard for NYers to understand this because they have never experienced this in their personal adventures.
Ya but long island is a part of the same state as the city and is directly connected to queens. So i dont think long island and new jersey are in the same boat. It shouldnt matter if your in north carolina or tokyo. If they dont know where jersey is than enlighten them. But to answer that kinda question with new york city and your really from jersey is false
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City