U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 06:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,312,268 times

Advertisements

I guess since it's already been bumped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechelleRed View Post
I'm new to the area. I've heard that the Jamaica LIRR area was dangerous. Is it? I just recently moved to Little Neck and I'm wondering if I could take the Q30 bus to Jamaica LIRR station.

I'd like to know your thoughts. Thanks everyone!
If you intend to take the LIRR, why not just take it straight from Little Neck? Unless you're going further east on LI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechelleRed View Post
It's weird, a lot of people that I speak to that are from Long Island always tell me "watch out, it's a rough area" when it comes to Jamaica.
Key words: They're from Long Island. You should see the opinions of some of the members there. They think an area's "the hood" because they see a few "day laborers" hanging out at the corner store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
You can take the Q79 on Little Neck Pkwy right to the Little Neck LIRR station.
I know this was written a few years ago (and there's no way you could look 3 years into the future to see when it was cut), but the Q79 no longer runs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 AM

3,245 posts, read 4,171,831 times
MTA cop shoots, kills psycho who stabbed him in the eye in unprovoked attack - NYPOST.com

Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,754 posts, read 39,728,377 times
My mother (from Long Island) was a few blocks from the station for a few hours early in the night (around 8-10 PM). Said it looked fine, busy with a rather mix of people.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM

19,315 posts, read 32,792,203 times
Isolated incident.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,086,170 times
a better way to describe the bus terminal is run-down.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:05 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,739,833 times
LIer's love to hype how Jamaica is so scary. The station is beautiful. The Airtrain terminal is nice and clean. Do you want to go walking around the areas surrounding it? Well, that's up to your bravery. I constantly switched in Jamaica when I rode the LIRR to work. I never had any issues. A friend of a friend did get harrassed there which made her uncomfortable later at night when she missed her stop. But really, that can happen at any of the stations. Just be aware and don't wander around Sutphin and you are cool.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,742,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
LIer's love to hype how Jamaica is so scary. The station is beautiful. The Airtrain terminal is nice and clean. Do you want to go walking around the areas surrounding it? Well, that's up to your bravery. I constantly switched in Jamaica when I rode the LIRR to work. I never had any issues. A friend of a friend did get harrassed there which made her uncomfortable later at night when she missed her stop. But really, that can happen at any of the stations. Just be aware and don't wander around Sutphin and you are cool.
I agree I take the E and J train to get back home five days a week and while the surrounding area isn't good, the terminal itself isn't bad at all... That incident that was posted was a random incident of a crazy person who had a history incidents just like this one across different parts of Jamaica...

Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,266,309 times
I've been there all hours of the day (including coming in there this morning at 6am from LI since I spent the 4th overnight outside of the city and had to get home to change before work!) and have never had a problem. Area looks ugly and a bit dingy, and while I would not loiter there, I haven't had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or