U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 PM

44 posts, read 74,422 times
Hey everyone..thanks for trying to help!!! I'm looking to spend between $800-$1000. I am looking for a roomate but I feel weird living with someone I don't know!!! My sister might want to move with me, but I really can't depend on her, and we will probably want to kill each other if we live together anyways haha!!! I keep reading about how tha rents are down almost 25% and there expecting them to drop another 10% in the next couple of month. I don't know if thats true, but I have been researching alot and everyone is saying the same thing. I really hope i can make this work, cause althouh I love Houston, there is no place like New York. Also if I do move to Houston, then I will probably be spending over $2,000 just comueting back and forth all year long, not to mention im SURE a part time job pays alot less in Texas then in New York!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 PM

2,901 posts, read 3,457,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcestis View Post
Hopping on the train to walk your dogs doesn't sound very likely in Queens, though I wouldn't know about Brooklyn.

There aren't many trains in the Maspeth/Ridgewood/Glendale area.

Maybe you should look in Forest Hills, Kew Gardens and Woodhaven. The areas can be a little pricey but they're not too bad, and you can probably find a roommate easily which you're going to need if you're a student!
Ridgewood has the M train, which pretty much cuts right through the neighborhood.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,454 times
Hey, I'm graduating High School, and I was born in queens, raised on LI, but I've been in NC for 3 years. I'm moving back, I've only applied to NY schools, and Its at the moment between QC and CCNY (i have family in the city and if i go to QC i can stay with them and establish residency so i'm only paying out of state tuition for a year, and even so its not bad). I'm really not naive, i know what to expect, I grew up here, and i've spent the last two summers in queens, and I have a guaranteed summer job, a place to stay, for the summer. I know that i can't rent my own place, especially at $1250 for a decent studio (maybe a bedroom), and i know to expect 500-about 650+ to find a suitable room in a share. I've been preparing for months, and i really can't stay here, because i dislike this state and because i'm going to study art or architecture/urban planning (ny has highest salary for architects in country, great urban planning firms) and this state doesn't deliver. I would like any tips on living in queens, brooklyn, or upper manhattan. thanks!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 3,454 times
I don't recommend moving away from ny if you feel like that, we did it and we are trying my whole family to move back. If you want affordabilty and close proximity to the city you could try Jersey city/Newark/Hoboken. Its a quick trip to the City on PAth, and theres a lot to do in these cities. I personally love queens, i'll probably end up there in a few months, and you could deffinatley find a share for that amount, or less.

1) Astoria Share: 3 Bedroom (http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/roo/1033797015.html - broken link)
$800 Astoria Share: 3 Bedroom (Astoria) (map)

1) Two BDRMS AVAILABLE! 3bd/2bth renovated house! (http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/roo/1034281507.html - broken link)
2) Cosy room in a brand new 2 bed apartment, close to PATH (http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/roo/1034140006.html - broken link)
1) $600 Two BDRMS AVAILABLE! 3bd/2bth renovated house! (Jersey City) (map)

2) $550 Cosy room in a brand new 2 bed apartment, close to PATH (Journal sq) (map)

Old 02-14-2009, 10:16 AM

6,855 posts, read 11,271,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2taranto View Post
I would like any tips on living in queens, brooklyn, or upper manhattan. thanks!
congrats on your upcoming move.

your request for tips is a little too vague too address. I think this whole forum is full of tips.

You might get more help if you asked a specific question (and start a new thread when you do) Just MHO.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:16 AM

3,225 posts, read 5,212,949 times
Yes, you can get a studio presently in a nice part of Queens @ $1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2taranto View Post
Hey, I'm graduating High School, and I was born in queens, raised on LI, but I've been in NC for 3 years. I'm moving back, I've only applied to NY schools, and Its at the moment between QC and CCNY (i have family in the city and if i go to QC i can stay with them and establish residency so i'm only paying out of state tuition for a year, and even so its not bad). I'm really not naive, i know what to expect, I grew up here, and i've spent the last two summers in queens, and I have a guaranteed summer job, a place to stay, for the summer. I know that i can't rent my own place, especially at $1250 for a decent studio (maybe a bedroom), and i know to expect 500-about 650+ to find a suitable room in a share. I've been preparing for months, and i really can't stay here, because i dislike this state and because i'm going to study art or architecture/urban planning (ny has highest salary for architects in country, great urban planning firms) and this state doesn't deliver. I would like any tips on living in queens, brooklyn, or upper manhattan. thanks!
Yes, you can get a nice, decent studio in a nice, decent part of Queens @1250! And yes, architecture in NYC is generally the highest paying in the country for architects.

I happen to LOVE both Queens and working in the architecture industry, although I'm in the financial area.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 02-14-2009 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City