U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 11,208 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job offer (110k) in NY(6th Av/50th). I would love to live in Manhattan. Moving from FL,Tampa area. Single(well,not attached) will get rid of 3 month old car and I basically have no debts. Currently renting.
In doing some research, I have noticed the following:
_high rental agent fee(will try to negotiate this as relocation expense with employer).
_Closet sized apartments(really looking for a true 1br)

I like getting out and enjoying things close by(a given in most areas?). I am not competely new to city living(downtown Chicago sometime back).
I really like the UWS which I 'scanned' on my first interview. But am open to any area in the city

I am hoping you guys can help me get reality and expectations closer. What can I expect for about $2500 mly...will I have to up my rental budget above this amount for something really nice? What is Roosevelt Island?

All suggestions are welcomed, I will be back in the city the week of 3/25 and wanted some ideas of places(areas) to take a look at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM

242 posts, read 918,688 times
You should be fine with that salary and rent. Depending on your likes and dislikes, I would check out a few other areas of the City. The Union Square area is one that has a lot going and provides for easy access to other parts of Manhattan. Personally, I am not crazy about the UES or UWS, although UWS is better.

I would also consider a roommate. Based on what you will be making you won't necessarily need it but it can provide a better apt and even help with getting to know people, etc. $2500 will get you something pretty decent, not the greatest. On the other hand, sharing an apt where you both pay about that will get you more for both your moneys.

Good luck and congrats. Should be a great time for you as you seem primed to really be able to enjoy NYC.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:55 PM

51 posts, read 183,183 times
Default Go for it

I am a new yorker, although I live in the burbs. You can live in manhattan, but true the apertments are closets. A one bedroom can be had, but often they go for full price. Don't think you are going to negotiate any agents fees, though. Not doable. There are more people needing apartment than are available, and if you won't pay full price, they won't waste their time with you. New York is not very negotiable period. Get used to it.
Brooklyn is where it is at now.
If I were you, I'd live in Brooklyn. Buy a condo there, and then take train into the city.
It is the best single life for anyone. No other city has what we have.
I am in the burbs, but will be going into "the city" once my sonny boy goes off to college. ( Ok, I've got 8 years, but planning ahead."

Old 03-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Definately not interested in sharing even if have to go a little higher with rent. I do have friends and relatives in the other boroughs(?). Will put Union Square on my list to check. Thanks!
BTW dreaming of a balcony, but....does'nt seem to be prevalent in my price range.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamel View Post
I am a new yorker, although I live in the burbs. You can live in manhattan, but true the apertments are closets. A one bedroom can be had, but often they go for full price. Don't think you are going to negotiate any agents fees, though. Not doable. There are more people needing apartment than are available, and if you won't pay full price, they won't waste their time with you. New York is not very negotiable period. Get used to it.
Brooklyn is where it is at now.
If I were you, I'd live in Brooklyn. Buy a condo there, and then take train into the city.
It is the best single life for anyone. No other city has what we have.
I am in the burbs, but will be going into "the city" once my sonny boy goes off to college. ( Ok, I've got 8 years, but planning ahead."
Negotiation will be with prospective employer for relocation not with Rental agent. Will consider outside Manhattan only if I absolutely can't find anything I like in the city. I have been hearing good things about Brooklyn, however. Where is absolutely the best place in Brooklyn in your opinion? Not interesting in buying at this time. Need to get a feel for NY before even considering that.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:24 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,810,222 times
You'll be able to find an apartment in Manhattan. Really. You will.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:40 PM

242 posts, read 918,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letitbe View Post
Definately not interested in sharing even if have to go a little higher with rent. I do have friends and relatives in the other boroughs(?). Will put Union Square on my list to check. Thanks!
BTW dreaming of a balcony, but....does'nt seem to be prevalent in my price range.
No worries then. You'll still be able to swing it without a roommate. Hell's Kitchen area (especially considering where you will be working) may be an option worth looking into as well. Also, a bit west of Union Square (West/Central Village I guess?) may also work for you.

BTW - Can you say who your perspective employer is? One of the hotels in that area?

Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
No worries then. You'll still be able to swing it without a roommate. Hell's Kitchen area (especially considering where you will be working) may be an option worth looking into as well. Also, a bit west of Union Square (West/Central Village I guess?) may also work for you.

BTW - Can you say who your perspective employer is? One of the hotels in that area?
No not one of the hotels. IT position, but would rather not say company, since I have not yet accepted the offer.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:28 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,502,640 times
I'd suggest you look at the several neighbourhoods that would permit you to walk to work: Hell's Kitchen; Murray Hill, and the area around the NYC Public Library (40s); and then circle outward to the UWS, Grammery Park (near Union Square); GW, and others.

With your salary, and willingness to pay up to $2500. I think you'll have some reasonably good choices for a "full" one bedroom. When checking adverts, see how they describe the place. Often the adverts exaggerate, and use key words to not quite tell a fib. - "full" is a positive; while "L-shaped" might mean studio.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I'd suggest you look at the several neighbourhoods that would permit you to walk to work: Hell's Kitchen; Murray Hill, and the area around the NYC Public Library (40s); and then circle outward to the UWS, Grammery Park (near Union Square); GW, and others.

With your salary, and willingness to pay up to $2500. I think you'll have some reasonably good choices for a "full" one bedroom. When checking adverts, see how they describe the place. Often the adverts exaggerate, and use key words to not quite tell a fib. - "full" is a positive; while "L-shaped" might mean studio.
The 'walk to work' is appealing, will do search with that in mind. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or