U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM

44 posts, read 72,624 times
Default should I move yo Brooklyn or Queens?

Hey everyone, I am a 24 year old Italian female, and I was born and raised in Long Island, New York. I want to go back to school for my Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. I have been on the Houston, and Fort Lauderdale forum trying to decide wich city I would like better, but I recently visited both, and although I did like Houston, I feel nothing compares to NY!!! With that being said, I need to get out of Long Island asap, I have been bored out of my mind since I graduated college and I dont want to live there for another month of my life. So I am looking to move closer to the city, I would prefer Brooklyn becaue I have friends there, but am willing to move to Queens, also. I am looking for a "safe" neighborhood, I have two dogs and I need to be able to walk them at night. Also I want to be a quick subway ride away from the city, so I can get back and forth quickly to walk my puppies during the day. Also I am taking out loans for school so the cost of rent is definitly an issue. I was wondering if any of this is possible or if I should just move to Houston for a couple of years to finish school??? I do love NY and I would love to find a way to make this work. Im sorry for making this so long, but any advice would be great, Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 PM

7,464 posts, read 9,636,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie9 View Post
Hey everyone, I am a 24 year old Italian female, and I was born and raised in Long Island, New York. I want to go back to school for my Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. I have been on the Houston, and Fort Lauderdale forum trying to decide wich city I would like better, but I recently visited both, and although I did like Houston, I feel nothing compares to NY!!! With that being said, I need to get out of Long Island asap, I have been bored out of my mind since I graduated college and I dont want to live there for another month of my life. So I am looking to move closer to the city, I would prefer Brooklyn becaue I have friends there, but am willing to move to Queens, also. I am looking for a "safe" neighborhood, I have two dogs and I need to be able to walk them at night. Also I want to be a quick subway ride away from the city, so I can get back and forth quickly to walk my puppies during the day. Also I am taking out loans for school so the cost of rent is definitly an issue. I was wondering if any of this is possible or if I should just move to Houston for a couple of years to finish school??? I do love NY and I would love to find a way to make this work. Im sorry for making this so long, but any advice would be great, Thank You!!!
Did you have a chance to meet Geri while you were in Houston?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM

13,974 posts, read 11,358,177 times
Astoria in Queens is a nice neighborhood with a quick commute to Manhattan as it is next to the East River. Rego Park & Forest Hills are also good neighborhoods and safe for walking around at night. The commute from Rego Park or Forest Hills to midtown Manhattan are approx. 45 min. depending on also if you are living near an express subway stop or a local one.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 AM

132 posts, read 341,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Astoria in Queens is a nice neighborhood with a quick commute to Manhattan as it is next to the East River. Rego Park & Forest Hills are also good neighborhoods and safe for walking around at night. The commute from Rego Park or Forest Hills to midtown Manhattan are approx. 45 min. depending on also if you are living near an express subway stop or a local one.
The subway from Forest Hills is more like a 25 minute ride to Midtown, but yes you have to factor in the wait for the train and the time it takes to get to the station.
There is the LIRR which is something like a 15 minute ride from FH.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 PM

18 posts, read 38,705 times
I've been trying to research this as well. I think if you want a quick commute, Astoria (or Rego Park or Forest Hills is the way to go). Bay Ridge is great but it will take you longer to commute and the express bus does not seem to be much faster than the subway. I've lived in Bay Ridge but never in Astoria but I ave looked around quite a bit there. I felt safe walking around (also very safe in Bklyn, especially in Bay Ridge). Bklyn neighborhoods that are closed to Manhattan are also a possibility but I don't know them that well. Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights are just a short commute - depends what you like best and what you can afford. PS and BH are both good safe nieghborhoods but pricier.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:19 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,070,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
The subway from Forest Hills is more like a 25 minute ride to Midtown, but yes you have to factor in the wait for the train and the time it takes to get to the station.
There is the LIRR which is something like a 15 minute ride from FH.
yes, the wait can add to that timeframe.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM

10 posts, read 30,350 times
This question was asked before by someone like you. Here is the answer I gave to that person:

NYC is expensive even for middle-income people. Most likely you will be living in Queens or Brooklyn. Manhattan is full of rich and poor people.

Monthly Bills and Expenses (2008 dollars)

Studio Apartment: $1500.
Utilities (gas and electricity): $150.
Subway/bus fares: $124 ($4/rountrip for 31 days).
Food: $300.
Life Insurance: $50.
Clothes: $60.
Miscellaneous: $200.
Total: $2384

That means you must make about $2384 per month after taxes. Or you must make about $28608 per year after taxes.

A lot of people do not make that much money when they are starting out in their careers. That is why a lot of young people are staying with their parents or sharing an apartment with a roommate. New York is not cheap but this is approximately what you would need, as a minimum, to live comfortably. Just as comparison, it would cost approximately $350,000 (before taxes) for a married couple with one child to live comfortably in a two bedroom apartment (Queens or Brooklyn). $350,000 is not a lot of money in New York City.

Sure there are other places that you can live cheaper but there is a huge trade-off and it is usually not in a better neighborhood. Crime is still a problem in poor and lower middle-income neighborhoods. I don’t think you want to live in a housing project or a subsidized home.

New York City is approximately 440 square miles (land and water) and is broken into five boroughs – Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens. New York City is not just Manhattan, it is all five boroughs! It is an insult to New York City residents when people say the real city is in Manhattan. Again, the real city is all five boroughs.

New York City has real people who are from all over. This means they are no nonsense people. Most of them are not mean spirited or evil but they have to go to work or school and do not have the time to play mind games with people.

With the exceptions of some police movies and TV shows, there is no TV show or movie that accurately portrays NYC life. They are just for fantasy and entertainment.

Don’t expect a lot of things to happen to you for the better. New York City is that way; it forces everyone to be direct and upfront with important things. Go to school with the intention of learning and trying to do the best academically. You are not going to school to socialize, find a boyfriend or girlfriend, looking cool in attitude or fashion, or even just partying. You are going to school simply to learn. You will find out that most of the students are transient people to you and could care less if you are popular or not.

If you have that mind set and don’t expect a lot social gratification then you will do fine in the City. If you end up with one or two friends then you are doing okay.

But New York can be intimidating so don’t get upset or depressed. People at first seem cold and uninviting. But after awhile you will see decent people who are just trying to make a living. If you ever move to Manhattan then try exploring the other four boroughs – where the real New York City residents live. That alone will surpass any night life Manhattan has to offer.

Places to live in Queens are Forest Hills, Bayside, Glen Oaks, Douglaston, Little Neck, Fresh Meadows, parts of Flushing, parts of Elmhurst, and Rego Park.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM

Did you have a chance to meet Geri while you were in Houston?

I did write her an E-Mail and she was very helpfull. I was only in Houston for 4 days so by the time I looked at the school and a few apartments, I had to leave. I did love it there, but to be honest I love NY more. However if I cant' afford it, even though I am pretty determined to make this work, then I will move to HOuston. Miami just wan't for me though!!! THank you again for all of your help, and Geri's advice did help me out alot!!! Thank you...

Star9quit

Thank you also for taking the time to go into so much detail. I did grow up on Long Isand and spent every weekend of my life from Thursday to Sunday in the city, because I had a sister in the Foundling Hospital growing up. I also did intern, work, and go to holistic nutrition school in N.Y.C for almost two years, so I am very familiar with the over-all vibe of NY. I do have friends in Brooklyn, and Rockaway Beach so Im not really concerned about meeting people, because as you said going to school is my main priority right now. What I am concerned about is if I will be able to afford to live in either Brooklyn or Queens while I am going to school? I do plan to get at least a part time job while going to school, but both or my friends that work in the City, just got laid off. Sooo thats is making me a little bit nervous, to say the least!!! Im not sure if it would be beter for me to go to school in Houston, because the economy is doing very well there and the cost of living is ridiculously low also!!! However, I will not be able to network there the way I will be able to in NY, which is where I would move after school anyway. Also I know it is more expensive to live here, but I also feel that NY pays alot more!!! And comuniting from Ny to Houston all years long will be expensive in itself so thats something to consider too. I just want to make the best chioce for school, because that will directly effcet my future, and even though money is important, I feel that the quality of my life is more important, and if the field im getting into, networking with different hospitals and wellness centers while im in school can be what determines my sucess in this field in the long run. Again, im only 24 so im trying to make the best decision I can with only 24 years of life experience behind me, so any advice from you would be really helpfull!!! Thank you all again for your time...

Old 02-15-2009, 08:07 PM

162 posts, read 370,528 times
I'd say Astoria, it's very safe and is only about a 15-20 minute ride to Midtown.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Also my school is on 915 Broadway between 20th & 21st, does anyone know if Brooklyn or Queens would be a shorter comute??? I also have a friend in the Bronx that is looking for a roomate, and I'm not sure if that is out of the way or not??? I know all these areas but only by car, so im looking for the shortest commute by subway, thank you again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City