Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM

6 posts, read 18,155 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to NYC in December of 2013. Before that we will take an exploratory trip over a three week period with a break in between.

Some folks have suggested that we engage an agency or a realtor on the first trip. Our original intent was to scout different neighborhoods on that trip, but I think, after a year's worth of research and talking to New Yorkers, we kind of know where we want to be. We do not have to worry about a morning/evening commute.

Has anyone here registered and used an agency like nakedapartments.com? They look solid, but I do not have a direct recommendation for them from anyone. I would like to know a user's experience, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,442 times
Naked Apartments isn't really an "agency"--it's a place where various agents working for different groups can post their listings. I've used them before. Ultimately all of these sites, Naked Apartments, StreetEasy, etc, are going to have a lot of the same listings and it doesn't really matter which one you use. None of them do a particularly good job of moderating misleading listings--most "no fee" apartments on there are not actually so.

Personally I really can't stand real estate brokers in the city and do my best to work with landlords directly, though many older buildings have contracts with agents that don't allow for this.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
I signed up with Naked Apartments a couple months ago but didn't end up getting a place through it. The listings weren't better or worse than any other site, and as Snake Plissken says, there's a lot of overlap. Still, it can't hurt to look in as many places as possible.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM

Thank you, Snake and Binx, for your replies.

Nakedapartments looked like a different service from Street Easy, as they seemed to "bid out" your apartment needs and what you can afford to pay to realty agents. They provide a credit score and other qualifying info to the agents about you, so it seemed like it short cut the process a bit.

I'm really a novice at this, so my impressions of who offers what kind service may be way off. Nakedapartments appears to compile all the qualifying info a landlord is likely to want (income, credit score, etc.) from a prospective tenant (me) and then have realty agents show you units that you would be quickly approved for, as well as meeting what I am looking for in an apartment.

Actually, I didn't think it was nakedapartments own listings that would be shown to me, but rather an agent's listings, perhaps that were exclusive or not publicly advertised. Maybe there is not that much benefit to registering with them. It doesn't cost me anything, but they do want access/permission to compile credit info/ income/ etc. In other words, I wouldn't have to do that legwork/phone calling/ getting references each time or for each realtor who wanted to show me an apt.

As I said, I'm a novice and looking for an apt. in NYC, while on my bucket list, is new and kind of intimidating for me. Again, thanks for the responses.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Steele View Post

Nakedapartments looked like a different service from Street Easy, as they seemed to "bid out" your apartment needs and what you can afford to pay to realty agents. They provide a credit score and other qualifying info to the agents about you, so it seemed like it short cut the process a bit.

I'm really a novice at this, so my impressions of who offers what kind service may be way off. Nakedapartments appears to compile all the qualifying info a landlord is likely to want (income, credit score, etc.) from a prospective tenant (me) and then have realty agents show you units that you would be quickly approved for, as well as meeting what I am looking for in an apartment.

Actually, I didn't think it was nakedapartments own listings that would be shown to me, but rather an agent's listings, perhaps that were exclusive or not publicly advertised. Maybe there is not that much benefit to registering with them. It doesn't cost me anything, but they do want access/permission to compile credit info/ income/ etc. In other words, I wouldn't have to do that legwork/phone calling/ getting references each time or for each realtor who wanted to show me an apt.

As I said, I'm a novice and looking for an apt. in NYC, while on my bucket list, is new and kind of intimidating for me. Again, thanks for the responses.

While they may ask for that information so the agents can focus your search better, it isn't really going to expedite the application process once you find an apartment you do want. You would still have to submit all this information, and probably pay for another credit check, anywhere you decide to apply.

The general rule is your income needs to be 40x the rent to quality; if you have bad credit history you could have a tough time getting anything. But these things are always negotiable.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:08 AM

Are your other liquid assets (equity and mutual funds, annuities, bonds) taken into consideration?

For example, if I can actually afford the rent, but my holdings make me more than "good for it", as verified by my brokerage and money management companies, will they look at those things, even though my last few years' tax returns, show less than an income that is 40x the monthly rent?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:48 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Depends on the landlord/management, some do take certain liquid assets into account if salary is not enough. Brokers would know which landlords to take you to. Check your direct messages.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Are your other liquid assets (equity and mutual funds, annuities, bonds) taken into consideration?

For example, if I can actually afford the rent, but my holdings make me more than "good for it", as verified by my brokerage and money management companies, will they look at those things, even though my last few years' tax returns, show less than an income that is 40x the monthly rent?
Like I said you can always negotiate. The more important question is should you spent more than that on your rent

Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
I was going to call the OP a perv but then I looked more closely and realized he wasn't linking to nakedparents.com

Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
Quote:

I don't think you're really understanding the site...

It's just an apartment listing site. There is no qualification process to look at any unit and you don't have to provide them a credit score or any other info unless you want to. (I didn't.) It's just as useful of a site as StreetEasy and certainly worth using in your hunt, but it's not an actual service or anything like that.

You do not have to provide references or financial info of any kind just to look at an apartment, but you will want to have it all together when you actually apply for a place.

Also, apartments move very quickly here, so other than doing basic market research, you're looking way too early and you don't need to make contact with a broker now. December 1 apartments won't even be listed until mid-October at the earliest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City