U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 AM

2,386 posts, read 5,454,622 times

Advertisements

Okay,

I have a friend who was telling me that he does this side-job at Hunts Point and makes about 75-80 dollars a night loading trucks. He told me you have to pay a small fee of 3 dollars or so and they'll let you work and make some money. He wasn't too detailed with everything since he was in a rush.

I heard about this before however, and wanted to do this so I can make a little money on the side. Anyone know about these type of places? I heard people mention places that do this like in Manhattan etc.

I never paid to much mind to it since I was comfortable with the money I was making at the time. Now, I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

Anyone know or have any idea what I'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 14,278 times
It sounds like shape-up work. A bunch of men show up early in the morning and the employer picks some out for some manual labor, for the day. They're more likely to pick you if you've worked there before, know someone who does and show up often. I've never heard of having to pay, though. That would make me wary for any job.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcestis View Post
It sounds like shape-up work. A bunch of men show up early in the morning and the employer picks some out for some manual labor, for the day. They're more likely to pick you if you've worked there before, know someone who does and show up often. I've never heard of having to pay, though. That would make me wary for any job.
I see. This is exactly what I was told about. I hate to ask, but do you know any places that do this in any of the boroughs?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM

139 posts, read 339,302 times
i don't know much about this, but it does sound like a great way to get some extra money, if you find out any information on it please send me a direct message? i live about 5 minutes from huntspoint and would love to make some extra cash.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neongumbo View Post
i don't know much about this, but it does sound like a great way to get some extra money, if you find out any information on it please send me a direct message? i live about 5 minutes from huntspoint and would love to make some extra cash.
You got it. If I find out, I'll let you know.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,974 times
about what time do you have to be at the initial site to work at hunts point?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,064,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I see. This is exactly what I was told about. I hate to ask, but do you know any places that do this in any of the boroughs?
Hang out in front of 7/11s....you will get day work.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,796,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcestis View Post
I've never heard of having to pay, though. That would make me wary for any job.
Having to pay is very common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City