U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 AM

6,510 posts, read 11,038,852 times
So far on this thread I have seen a lot of comments that seem to be based on erroneous assumptions and made by people who for the most part are not even qualified to comment on life in The Bronx.Some of the comments make me wonder how much time some posters have spent here and even how much time some have spent in NYC.

As one who IS qualified to comment , by virtue of the fact that I both live and work in The Bronx, I can say that there are many Bronx neighborhoods where the OP would probably feel totally comfortable and safe.

I would definitely recommend my neighborhood(Pelham Parkway) to anyone looking for a safe,affordable neighborhood. It is about 37% Hispanic( of about 10 different nationalities),33 % white(mostly Italian,Albanian,Russian or Jewish but with lots of others mixed in),about 23 % black (American,African and Caribbean) and about 7 % other which includes Chinese,Koreans,Thai's,Cambodians,Vietnamese,Pakis tani's and Indians.
The crime rate is one of the lowest in the Bronx and compares favorably with other "safe" areas of the city.

I live in a coop building with about 150 apartments and we have a lot of the
above mentioned groups .We also have a few gay people .We have a number of NYC teachers,Fordham Professors,Doctors associated with some of the Bronx hospitals,lawyers,Manhattan office workers and small business
owners.Even a couple of cops.

Because of the neighborhoods proximity to Fordham U there are a lot of students in the area.

One of the reasons we are all here is because the real estate prices are much much lower than comparable neighborhoods in other parts of the city.We live in very comfortable apartments and houses and keep our housing expenses closer to 20 % of our income than 50%.

Why do so many of you have such a hard time believing that there are neighborhoods like this in The Bronx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 AM

7,855 posts, read 13,431,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why do so many of you have such a hard time believing that there are neighborhoods like this in The Bronx?
Probably because they have never been, and only know the Bronx from Charles Bronson movies.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 AM

456 posts, read 884,286 times
Stereotypes die hard, alas. Once upon a time, the same kind of knee-jerk reactions and assumptions were made about Brooklyn. When I first moved to New York, I told an aunt that I would be living in Brooklyn--with a friend until I found my own place. She said, "Brooklyn!" Then the conversation came to a complete halt, and even though I was living in Boerum Hill I thought to myself, "Oh my God. What kind of h***-hole is Brooklyn?" Then I discovered for myself that Brooklyn is huge, and that each section of BK has its own flavor, so to speak. Back then there was a world of difference between Bed-Stuy, Boerum Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Greenpoint, etc. You get the picture. I am Black, btw; and so is my aunt. But she lives a very secluded lifestyle in New Rochelle. I suspect that all the racialized Bronx bashing in this thread comes from the same kind of unwarranted assumptions my aunt had twelve or so years ago when I was looking for a place to live in the big bad city.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,053,920 times
Research and explore as many neighborhoods as possible in the Bronx; the Boogie Down has a lot of gems.

As for Irish nabes, Woodlawn is a predominantly Irish neighborhood. The largest Polish nabe in NYC is Greenpoint Brooklyn, which has become less Polish over the years due to gentrification.

But in all, investigate what nabe fits your tastes, wants, etc. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 AM

11,180 posts, read 9,608,770 times
To the OP, yes, in general, the whiter neighborhoods in the Bronx are safer. That being said, you should also keep in mind that almost no one really messes with you as long as you don't mess with them. There may be some slightly unpleasant moments, but generally all of the nastiness is kept within the community and outsiders are seldom involved.

The Bronx has plenty of neighborhoods that offer you both affordable and safe housing--you just have to research the neighborhoods. As far as things to do there, the Bronx has a great deal of organized or institutionalized culture to explore (Yankee Stadium, the zoo, various museums, organized hip-hop history tours and the like, large tracts of parkland), but it doesn't seem to have much fun street life that people outside their respective communities can easily participate in. However, there is a growing contingent of young people like yourself who you might meet if you make the effort.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM

374 posts, read 546,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
sticking with the topic of the thread, here's my response:

1. why do you need to tell us you're white?

2. what's the issue with african american areas?
Probably because he is looking for the best neighborhood fit. For example, a 75 year old White White woman who grew up in Jim Crow Mississippi is probably not going to feel comfortable in Harlem or Bed-Stuy. A 25 year old Black guy from Washington, DC or Oakland is probably not going to feel comfortable or welcome in Bensonhurst or Howard Beach.

Besides, even if WE feel comfortable in a neighborhood, certain folks may not be as welcoming of us due to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM

563 posts, read 1,184,475 times
If you're looking for an Irish neighborhood in the Bronx, move to Woodlawn. However, other neighborhoods that might interest you ar Van Cortlandt Village (there are quite a few European ethnics here) and Riverdale. Morris Park is nice, but I can't picture Swedish people in an Italian environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City