U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,945,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
The pros: There is always something to do 24/7

Cons: Too much rent for too little space and the fact that sometimes you want a little bit of quiet time. Other than that There is so much to do in the city from Batter Park to Inwood.
That NYC 24/7 is a little too 'played out'. Besides drinking in a bar, what else is there to do in Mannhattan at 3am? Can you go an see a Broadway play at that hour? What about the ballet? How about a musuem or art gallery? Sure you can get something to eat, but what quality of food are you going to get at that hour? And what % of adults, who are in their 40's or older, are running around at 3 or 4 or 5am on any kind of regular basis?

In Pittsburgh (Pa. state law), the bars close at 2am. If I ever felt like drinking later than that, I'd simply go to an 'after hours club' and drink til dawn. And no I'm not trying to compare Pittsburgh with Mannhattan or NYC, I know there's no comparision.

I'm just trying to prove the point that life exist after midnight in just about every major city one way or another. And it's basically revolves around the same two things, drinking and grabbing something to eat afterwards.

I've always found that the most active people, who love to be constantly on-the-go, are the ones who usually hit the sack at a decent hour anyway. Most people who have a day off, and where at the bars the night before to the wee hours of the morning, tend to sleep their day off away. Or atleast ain't very active on that day off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 AM

6,971 posts, read 12,217,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
That NYC 24/7 is a little too 'played out'. Besides drinking in a bar, what else is there to do in Mannhattan at 3am? Can you go an see a Broadway play at that hour? What about the ballet? How about a musuem or art gallery? Sure you can get something to eat, but what quality of food are you going to get at that hour? And what % of adults, who are in their 40's or older, are running around at 3 or 4 or 5am on any kind of regular basis?

In Pittsburgh (Pa. state law), the bars close at 2am. If I ever felt like drinking later than that, I'd simply go to an 'after hours club' and drink til dawn. And no I'm not trying to compare Pittsburgh with Mannhattan or NYC, I know there's no comparision.

I'm just trying to prove the point that life exist after midnight in just about every major city one way or another. And it's basically revolves around the same two things, drinking and grabbing something to eat afterwards.

I've always found that the most active people, who love to be constantly on-the-go, are the ones who usually hit the sack at a decent hour anyway. Most people who have a day off, and where at the bars the night before to the wee hours of the morning, tend to sleep their day off away. Or atleast ain't very active on that day off.
i'm too old to hang around a bar after 2 myself. hell, i can barely make it past midnite these days

but there's still a 24 hour energy/vibe in manhattan that most cities don't have. ok, so a bar may close at 3 am on a Tuesday on W.4th St, and the area "relatively" empty. but in an hour, you'll probably see the DSNY trucks rolling around. not to mention the staples: cabs all over the place, a million 24 hr bodegas still open, argentinian tourists with backpacks strolling around, and there are always people hanging around washington square park ( not all are homeless, but don't ask me what their story is) and don't forget the "after hours" clubs still going as well. so its like when one group of people call it a night, another call it a morning. theres a constant flux. its the volume of people. not everyone has the same schedule and the city caters to that.

sure, many cities are similar but in a much smaller scale. so it can afford to shut down at a certain hour.

if there's $$ to be made at 4 am on a Tues, something will be open.

Last edited by john_starks; 02-19-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i'm too old to hang around a bar after 2 myself. hell, i can barely make it past midnite these days

but there's still a 24 hour energy/vibe in manhattan that most cities don't have. ok, so a bar may close at 3 am on a Tuesday on W.4th St, and the area "relatively" empty. but in an hour, you'll probably see the DSNY trucks rolling around. not to mention the staples: cabs all over the place, a million 24 hr bodegas still open, argentinian tourists with backpacks strolling around, and there are always people hanging around washington square park ( not all are homeless, but don't ask me what their story is) and don't forget the "after hours" clubs still going as well. so its like when one group of people call it a night, another call it a morning. theres a constant flux. its the volume of people. not everyone has the same schedule and the city caters to that.

sure, many cities are similar but in a much smaller scale. so it can afford to shut down at a certain hour.

if there's $$ to be made at 4 am on a Tues, something will be open.
Did you list watching a "garbage truck" as an activity to do in Mannhattan at 3am? lol lol And the people you're talking about "hanging around Washington Park", how many of 'those' people will be "hanging around" during the cold winter nights?

I don't expect to be able to go to a musuem or the ballet at 3am. I'm just trying to point out, that the 24/7 NYC thing, really just revolves around getting drunk and grabbing a 'hero' at a bodegas afterwards. The same thing can be done in any major city (just on a much smaller scale), albiet the "bodegas" would probably be a 24hr Diner elsewhere or some local treasure, like 'Gino's' in South Philly, or 'Primanti Brother's' or the O' in Pittsburgh, etc.

Cities like LA, Las Vegas, Miami Beach, New Orleans, and Chicago, can hold their own in the late night party scene. NYC party scene is no doubt great, just saying, others know how to party too.

Drunkiness followed by comfort foods, is BASICALLY what 24/7 means.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:07 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,217,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Did you list watching a "garbage truck" as an activity to do in Mannhattan at 3am? lol lol And the people you're talking about "hanging around Washington Park", how many of 'those' people will be "hanging around" during the cold winter nights?

I don't expect to be able to go to a musuem or the ballet at 3am. I'm just trying to point out, that the 24/7 NYC thing, really just revolves around getting drunk and grabbing a 'hero' at a bodegas afterwards. The same thing can be done in any major city (just on a much smaller scale), albiet the "bodegas" would probably be a 24hr Diner elsewhere or some local treasure, like 'Gino's' in South Philly, or 'Primanti Brother's' or the O' in Pittsburgh, etc.

Cities like LA, Las Vegas, Miami Beach, New Orleans, and Chicago, can hold their own in the late night party scene. NYC party scene is no doubt great, just saying, others know how to party too.

Drunkiness followed by comfort foods, is BASICALLY what 24/7 means.
i hear ya. you got a point

Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM

6,959 posts, read 11,496,094 times
I'm not into drunkenness or comfort foods, so I guess that is someone else's specialty.

However, the fact that the subway is open 24/7 makes a huge difference in terms of going out. Does Boston still have it's subway system closing at 12:30pm? I remember that that puts a big damper in even going over to someone's place for dinner if you want to stay and chat. Does Pittsburgh even have a subway?

So even if you don't want to get drunk at 3am, the nature of the city as a 24/7 does and can make a difference to people whose lives revolve around more than getting drunk.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm not into drunkenness or comfort foods, so I guess that is someone else's specialty.

However, the fact that the subway is open 24/7 makes a huge difference in terms of going out. Does Boston still have it's subway system closing at 12:30pm? I remember that that puts a big damper in even going over to someone's place for dinner if you want to stay and chat. Does Pittsburgh even have a subway?

So even if you don't want to get drunk at 3am, the nature of the city as a 24/7 does and can make a difference to people whose lives revolve around more than getting drunk.

I know that is not too hard to get around Chicago at 3am (yes their subway runs 24/7 unlong with buses, plenty of taxi's also). Miami Beach, another easy 'taxi grabbing' spot. Vegas? Come on, again taxi central (especially along the strip).

What time do you eat "dinner"? Plus, owning a car in Boston would be more of a norm than compared to NYC. You act like nobody drives in NYC. I know bar hopping with a car in Mannhattan is outta the question, but the outer boroughs? Plenty of people drive their cars when going out for the night there.

Pittsburgh does have a subway/trolley system. It really only covers the downtown and South Hill's city nabes though. Philly is VERY convient in terms of public transit.

A "subway" is definitely a nice and safe way to travel. But don't forget, people can live within walking distances to the "nightlife" in those other cities I listed. When I lived in Pittsburgh, I could walk to all kinds of bars, and to the 'after hr's clubs' if need be.

Last edited by pittsteelerfan; 02-19-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 02:55 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,593,348 times
Well there is nothing worse than being in a subway car with a homeless guy who has fallen asleep on the bench and pissed all over the floor.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:04 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,315,901 times
It's funny a pittsburgh guy highjacked my thread! LOL

I was just asking about pros and cons for those of us who live in NYC...

Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

You actually asked about MANHATTAN...not NYC.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

Highjack? I tried helping you at. You obviously like Mannhattan or you wouldn't be moving back. The other people posted comments like the only "con" was the cost. Which is such a broad stroke to list as a "con" to begin with. Cause the "cost" affects every aspect of life there. You're on your own for now on though, I won't interfer with anymore of your post. I was one of the only people who actaually understood what you were trying to say by the way.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City