U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
My company owns property in Ridgewood, and I drive through maspeth all the time. It is still a nice area. It is not being taken over by asians and hispanics, not like flushing, and corona. There is still lots of white people there.

Maspeth, ridgewood, middle village, are all nice.
so white people = nice neighborhood?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,873 times
I was born and still live in Maspeth and the part that I live in is mostly Irish and Polish. I am not sure what part of Maspeth the Asians and Hispanics are moving to but I wouldn't say they are the majority in Maspeth.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 17,328 times
Default Maspeth memories

My name is Guy Smith and lived at 53-07 43rd Street, Maspth, NY FROM 1959-1962, MY PARENTS SPLIT UP, AND i LEFT WHEN i WAS EIGHT. The buildings where I lived were called The Flats, several buildings taking up the entire street, near the Calvary Cemetary. My best friends were the Finn family, Dannywas my age, and best friend, he had twin sisters Doreen and Darleen that used to sit me sometimes. Summers nights we all were on the stoop, remember Saturday mornings with friends watching movies with our "Give a Show projector". The day we left, I remember trying to hide so I wouldnt have to go. I am in my 50,s now, but will NEVER forget my Maspeth years.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 17,328 times
Default Guy Smith

Wanted to add, if anyone by some miracle remembers my family or anything to do with my Maspeth post, my address is cans2cool@gmail.com

Old 05-03-2008, 02:40 PM

14 posts, read 46,630 times
Default Today's NYT

Here is a "Living In" article about Maspeth today.

Living in Maspeth, Queens - Yes, Manhattan’s Over There. What of It? - Housing - New York Times

Old 05-03-2008, 05:23 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,969,456 times
Lots of Irish I know have friends or co-workers in Maspeth. I've only heard good things of it.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Thanks for the reply, I can't beleive that Maspeth is full of Asians and Hispanics! It was a predominantly Polish area while I gre up there. I have nothing against them, please don't get me wrong, but I just can't picture it. I can't picture the iron gates either, what a shame. And traffic? I guess my memory is still in the 70's.
I'ts not full of hispanics,and asians,i just moved to Maspeth,been here around a month and i have not seen many spanish or asian at all. i see mostly Polish,Irish,and Italian family's.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,272,070 times
Default ethnic survivor

Maspeth is the rare urban Catholic ethnic neighborhoods that survived the cleansing that wiped away these once ubiquitous neighborhoods from the American urban landscape. From New York to Philadelphia to Detroit to Chicago these urban Catholic neighborhoods were pummeled and the residents scattered under the guise of urban renewal. The saving grace of Maspeth is that the feds didn't build a housing projects in the area so the ethnic cleansing agents/blockbusters never got a chance to "flip" this neighborhood like they did to neighboring Bushwick and so many other neighborhoods across the Northern urban corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I'ts not full of hispanics,and asians,i just moved to Maspeth,been here around a month and i have not seen many spanish or asian at all. i see mostly Polish,Irish,and Italian family's.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Maspeth is the rare urban Catholic ethnic neighborhoods that survived the cleansing that wiped away these once ubiquitous neighborhoods from the American urban landscape. From New York to Philadelphia to Detroit to Chicago these urban Catholic neighborhoods were pummeled and the residents scattered under the guise of urban renewal. The saving grace of Maspeth is that the feds didn't build a housing projects in the area so the ethnic cleansing agents/blockbusters never got a chance to "flip" this neighborhood like they did to neighboring Bushwick and so many other neighborhoods across the Northern urban corridor.
Good observation. There are still plenty of these neighborhoods left in this country's central cities, though: Irish/Italian areas of Boston, Italian/Portuguese/Italian areas of Providence, Irish/Italian areas of Philadelphia, (white) Cuban areas of Miami and to a lesser extent Tampa, Italian/Irish/German areas of Saint Louis, Italian areas of Cleveland, and multiple ethnic white areas in Chicago, among others.

The Maspeth/Middle Village/Glendale area has changed so little probably due partially, as you have mentioned, to the lack of public housing towers in the area, but also due to their relative isolation from mass transit. The established residents in those hybrid suburban/urban areas tend to have cars whereas it doesn't seem like most of the newer immigrants to other, more urban Queens areas do. This seems evident in places like Astoria, Woodside, and Sunnyside, where there is a large contingent of "old school" ethnic whites living alongside a large contingent of newly-arrived Middle Eastern, Asian, and Latin American immigrants.

Also, (and this is not meant to offend anyone) it seems to me like the urban ethnic white neighborhoods empty out pretty quickly once an area starts to "go black," and this hasn't happened anywhere in northern Queens as it has in parts of the Bronx (with African-Americans and Afro-Latins) and Brooklyn (with African-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans). This isn't to say that parts of northern Queens haven't changed (they have! Look at downtown Flushing, East Elmhurst, Corona, to a much lesser extent Woodside and Sunnyside); it's just that the demographics appear to have changed a lot more slowly over the years than the rapid changes that happened in Canarsie, the north Bronx, etc.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:08 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times
I am from Ridgewood, and I have a very good friend who lives in Maspeth, right up the street from O'Neill's restuarant on 65 Pl. I was just there this past weekend to eat some Rosa's Pizza and pick up some apple turnovers at Glendale Bakery. I also go there to shoot pool on Grand Ave. Much of the Ridgewood/Middle Village/Maspeth and Glendale area has changed tremendously since the 80's. I remember when I used to visit my mom in upper Glendale ten years ago and there was always parking available in front of her apartment...not any more. The area is saturated and overcrowded now. Luckily there are still several mom and pop establishments around to make it worth living there, but those are shutting down more with each passing year.

I'm guessing the Catholic School you attended was St. Aloysuis? I was baptized there and went to my CCD religious instruction on Wednesdays. Had my first holy communion and confirmation there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City