U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:24 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,625,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I am from Ridgewood, and I have a very good friend who lives in Maspeth, right up the street from O'Neill's restuarant on 65 Pl. I was just there this past weekend to eat some Rosa's Pizza and pick up some apple turnovers at Glendale Bakery. I also go there to shoot pool on Grand Ave. Much of the Ridgewood/Middle Village/Maspeth and Glendale area has changed tremendously since the 80's. I remember when I used to visit my mom in upper Glendale ten years ago and there was always parking available in front of her apartment...not any more. The area is saturated and overcrowded now. Luckily there are still several mom and pop establishments around to make it worth living there, but those are shutting down more with each passing year.

I'm guessing the Catholic School you attended was St. Aloysuis? I was baptized there and went to my CCD religious instruction on Wednesdays. Had my first holy communion and confirmation there too.
I was born and raised in Maspeth! Small world! And I was at O'Neills a few months ago for the first time. Nice place. Area has changed a lot, but it was fun to visit and see the house I grew up in and the school I went to....a walk down Memory Lane.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,531,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Maspeth is the rare urban Catholic ethnic neighborhoods that survived the cleansing that wiped away these once ubiquitous neighborhoods from the American urban landscape. From New York to Philadelphia to Detroit to Chicago these urban Catholic neighborhoods were pummeled and the residents scattered under the guise of urban renewal. The saving grace of Maspeth is that the feds didn't build housing projects in the area so the ethnic cleansing agents/blockbusters never got a chance to "flip" this neighborhood like they did to neighboring Bushwick and so many other neighborhoods across the Northern urban corridor.
Yep. That little section of Queens seems to have been completely off the 1960s/70s blockbusting/redlining radar. IMO (and this is not meant to offend anyone) Jewish neighborhoods were targeted because the Jews were more liberal and more likely to embrace an initial influx of blacks than the urban ethnic white Catholic neighborhoods.

Funny, but I know Maspeth because my whole family, going back to my great grandparents, is buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Being from SEQueens and black, I had no other reason to visit Maspeth than to attend a burial . It was one of those neighborhoods "back in the day" that had little diversity. Having been there recently, it seems to have changed somewhat (I saw a lot of Hispanics). BTW, I am happy to report that I have never had a negative racial incident while visiting Maspeth, Middle Village or Glendale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
The Maspeth/Middle Village/Glendale area has changed so little probably due partially, as you have mentioned, to the lack of public housing towers in the area, but also due to their relative isolation from mass transit. The established residents in those hybrid suburban/urban areas tend to have cars whereas it doesn't seem like most of the newer immigrants to other, more urban Queens areas do. This seems evident in places like Astoria, Woodside, and Sunnyside, where there is a large contingent of "old school" ethnic whites living alongside a large contingent of newly-arrived Middle Eastern, Asian, and Latin American immigrants.
People who can't afford cars, legally can't drive (illegal immigrants) or need affordable rentals move to neighborhoods that are fully accessible via public transportation. Woodside, Sunnyside, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights and Corona are served by the 7 train. Astoria has the N/W & R/V (or whatever they will change to in a few days). In all of these areas you have newly-arrived Middle Eastern, Asian, and Latin American immigrants. Maspeth/Middle Village/Glendale, though not really far from Manhattan, is a two-fare zone, meaning bus to subway, but with an unlimited Metrocard this is irrelevant in terms of cost. It's more of an inconvenience. I believe this is also the reason why hipsters/yuppies aren't interested in these neighborhoods (although they'd probably be better there than in Central Harlem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Also, (and this is not meant to offend anyone) it seems to me like the urban ethnic white neighborhoods empty out pretty quickly once an area starts to "go black," and this hasn't happened anywhere in northern Queens as it has in parts of the Bronx (with African-Americans and Afro-Latins) and Brooklyn (with African-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans). This isn't to say that parts of northern Queens haven't changed (they have! Look at downtown Flushing, East Elmhurst, Corona, to a much lesser extent Woodside and Sunnyside); it's just that the demographics appear to have changed a lot more slowly over the years than the rapid changes that happened in Canarsie, the north Bronx, etc.
It's the high prices in northern Queens that keep it exclusive. Also, African-Americans/Caribbeans generally move to neighborhoods that have tipped black already. This is why you have dense populations of middle class blacks in the NEBronx, SEQueens and Central Brooklyn as well as areas of Westchester, LI and NJ. They "went black" a long time ago and IMO will probably stay that way because they are in two fare zones and have LONG commutes into Manhattan.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,431,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Yeah itís a shame you look down Grand ave and all you see all the roll cages from the pull down steel gates, signís jutting out. Its not recognizable. A developer is going after the "Maspeth Woods" wants to clear the land, knock down the old church, dig up possible graves and put in 225 units of pre-fab work barricks.
The New York Mayor wont do squat about it
Many of the nice old houses and trees were knocked down and replaced with big ugly bland brick "Fedders specials"
Personally I find these new "south of the border" hispanics offensive. Most are renters who could care less about the houses they live in. They dont put away trash cans, throw trash on the floor and hang tacky flags from there home countrys all over and in windows.
I walked 4 blocks and could not hear one person speaking English. Baby carriages everyware It was crowded like Times Square, doesnt anbody work ?

One charactor Mexican looking guy came right up to my Truck and pulled the door handle to hand me a car wash bill. I almost clubbed him in the face, I thaught I was being carjacked.
Its like a 3rd word country down there, It doesnt feel like New York. The high rents drove all the Welfare garbage out of the city into the parts of Queens that are far from Subway lines.
Thats what it looks like to me anyway.
Sad to hear that, in the 80's, my mother lied about our address to send me to Elementary school in Maspeth. I'll admit a superior education compared to own neighborhood. I remember it being peaceful and pretty crime less. Ridgewood was much the same. I was in ridgewood x-mas 2009 and literally had to park 4 blocks away from my friends house. It was ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:51 AM

1,810 posts, read 6,221,979 times
Yeah but Maspeth isn't as diverse as it is in say neighboring Elmhurst or Woodside. But we can all agree that it's not the same as it was 20 years ago. "Fedders Specials."..That is a great way to put it. There are so many building code violations around relating to driveways(curb cuts). People replacing lawn/gardens in front of the house to pour some cement so they can park a car against the front of their house,etc.

As far as the issue regarding the Mexicans I keep them in check where I live(Elmhurst/Woodside border). You just have to,example a few of them would be coming home from the bar at 3:00am and they would be walking down the block kicking in car door side view mirrors, they smashed all of them except mine because they knew who owned it, On some of the cars the mirror housing assemblies were even completely taken off.

On the outside of the garage of the house where they live,the kids scribbled on the door with chalk like if it was an Etch A Sketch

Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,531,888 times
What's a Fedders Special? Must have something to do with apartment buildings with Fedders air conditioners, right???

Old 06-17-2010, 04:12 PM

731 posts, read 1,794,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
What's a Fedders Special? Must have something to do with apartment buildings with Fedders air conditioners, right???
Specifically, they're the new houses built with the Fedders Air Conditioners.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:57 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,035,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
Specifically, they're the new houses built with the Fedders Air Conditioners.
Very boring and bland.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,221,979 times
Exactly, and they all look the same with the brick face,boxy exterior. I'm telling you they don't build houses like they used to.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:08 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,757,902 times
@Doomdans comment about the Polish, do you still see that happening in Ridgewoood? I'll give you Maspeth and Middle Village even (dont know too much about Middle Village) being heavily Polish but Ridgewood? Really? When I checked the latest demographics as of January 1st 2010 it said that Ridgewood was 44.45% Hispanic or claim Hispanic heritage. And from what I see as of late there are alot of Hispanics moving into the area now as well where we may soon see the number of Hispanics in Ridgewood eclipse over 50%. Sorry to intrude on a Maspeth thread but I haven't seen anything current on Ridgewood and was just wondering people's view on this matter on where are the demographics shifting in Ridgewood. I think to be fair that around 07-09 there were alot of Polish moving in and they bought up a bunch of stores all over but it seems to have topped off late 09. An example of this would be that some of the Polish stores have gone out of Business such as for example the one on Woodward Ave most likely due to low business. I know specifically around where that Polish store closed, there are alot of Hispanics around there and are moving in as well so just wondering what people think. Also there is a large Middle Eastern/Asian presence in Ridgewood as well. I would say that nearly 10% are either Bengali, Pakistani, Or Filipino/Chinese/Korean so its a very diverse neighborhood overall.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 AM

27 posts, read 58,232 times
Default What is happening to Queens ???

I am a resident of Rego Park and quite familiar with surrounding areas including, Jackson Height, Maspeth, Forest Hills, Flushing, Middle Village, etc.
It is quite disturbing to see that we are getting inundated with a WAVE of Chinese migration that has not been seen ANYWHERE in the world. The neighborhoods are being literally invaded by those newcomers. I keep seeing entire building being settled by them and to compliment it all, new construction "popping-up" with flimsy workmanship being errected with 100% Chinese ownership. Single and double family homes are also sold to them - you can see the ugly metal door cages they install for protection. Forest Hills Gardens is also effected with natives running for "cover" by selling asap. Some of the streets in the morning are 100% Chinatown-like. Believe it or not, its amazing to see Queens degenerating into this Asian hell. Overcrowding, lack of aesthetics, lack of culture and just plain degradation of quality of life is threatening to make Queens into a social experiment that is out of control. Schools no longer cater to teach social values or arts but are overcrowded with ambitious Asian children that promote mindless competition with Confuscian obedience and test-taking preparation. Chinese values are not about being smart but to get ahead at any cost. At the same time there is lack of zoning enforcement with Queens being eaten by Mall-building and lack of space. With all the construction there is a threatening lack of space for recreation or greenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City