Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:29 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,027 times

Advertisements

i found out that murders did indeed rise almost 6% in '08 compared to '07. from 476 (12/21/07) to 501 (12/21/08). i would guess this is because the recession. idk just thought that was interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 03:42 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Exactly my point Mekitor. Why do I believe we are safer than even 5 years ago? Well I live in Mott Haven (technically Woodstock but its all the same), the most notorious community in the 70s and 80s in probably the entire US (South Bronx!) for crime and a host of other societal ills. And what has been occuring in my community over the past 10 years (more really but lets just focus on the last 10)? Massive investment, including new homes, new affordable housing for middle/working class residents, new amenities, new parks, new trees, upgraded infrastructure, and yes, much less crime. None of that has changed, in fact the city is recommitting efforts to invest in the community, with affordable housing for our working/middle class residents on track, bringing better residents to the area. The area continues to improve, not deteriorate, as people are seeing the Bronx, and South Bronx in particular as the best VALUE and AFFORDABLE, the two most important themes for 2009 in today's economy. Is it perfect? Heck no! But is it IMPROVING...and the answer is yes...it CONTINUES to improve and feels safer as well....as more residents move to the area...the changes are growing. And here is a heads up: We are working towards getting a dog park for the community in St. Mary's Park. Change..it's in the air!

I give up with you. Crime is going up I know it I see it the people see it. This is the last time I respond to you sobro guy because you just dont get it

and you like to talk about you being a long term resident listen ive been here 17 years as a resident and have been coming here for month long visits in the summer since i could remeber i dont know what your defintion of long term resident is but ive seen the big deacrese in crime and the increase in crime the past 5 years so ive seen the BAD ive seen the improvment and im seeing the quality of life slowly detoriorate (not huge but getting worse year by year)

Last edited by KRS88; 03-14-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,668 times
can someone from the "Crime is going down" cast explain to me how their are 4 burglarys in East Harlem this whole year?
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs025pct.pdf

Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
can someone from the "Crime is going down" cast explain to me how their are 4 burglarys in East Harlem this whole year?
It's part of the "Obama Effect" !
We are all going to be getting along together and respecting each other so crime is going down!!!
Get with the program,man !!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
lol! thats Moderator cut: nonsense. even if that was a "good" area, i still wouldn't believe that crap. if the nypd is gonna lie they should atleast try to make it believable.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-16-2009 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
lol! thats Moderator cut: nonsense. even if that was a "good" area, i still wouldn't believe that crap. if the nypd is gonna lie they should atleast try to make it believable.
I agree how is there 4 burglaries this year and last year at this time there were 30?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:13 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,885 times
Guys, it's the Obama Effect.Only Obama can make murders go down by 22%, rapes down by 26% and robberies down 15%.Either that, or the NYPD that even with a smaller number of cops, can manage to bring down murders by 22%, rapes by 26% and robberies 15%.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Guys, it's the Obama Effect.Only Obama can make murders go down by 22%, rapes down by 26% and robberies down 15%.Either that, or the NYPD that even with a smaller number of cops, can manage to bring down murders by 22%, rapes by 26% and robberies 15%.
what is this "obama effect" i keep hearing about?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,885 times
The effect that we all love each other now and don't kill each other, along with other social...changes.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Lol..the Obama effect is just sarcasm...don't worry about that. The 1st quarter stats will be out in the next few weeks..and judging from the stats up to now I suspect crime will be down across the board vs this time last year...but I think part of it is because it has been arctic and frigid..so people have been hibernating this winter moreso than usual. However, since few of you believe the crime stats are remotely accurate I guess its moot. And for the record, when I say I am a longtime resident, I mean I was born in Mount Sinai Hospital and have lived in the city for decades, and my family has been occupying the same building in Woodstock (Mott Haven) since 1956...the same building my mother was raised, my aunts/uncles/counsins were raised, and I was raised and still reside. And I repeat, besides looking at crime stats, I see/feel no increase in crime, however I have seen an increase in police presence, including the regular cop cars/vans, as well as a significant number of unmarked cars/vans/undercover cops flooding the area. Is this preventative or in response to an uptick I do not know....any uptick though has not been reflected in the stats. Nonetheless they have been patrolling more actively, circling around constantly, and stopping and frisking people everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City