U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 AM

674 posts, read 1,128,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
How sure are you there were 6? You posted two links with 4 murders, so where are the other two?

Beau kills ex-girlfriend, then shoots her lesbian lover in Brooklyn street

Woman, 21, shot and killed in East New York, neighborhood's fourth shooting victim in bloody day

2 men mowed down in Bed-Stuy gunplay

Runaway teen and possible drug dealer found shot dead in Brooklyn apartment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 PM

32 posts, read 85,052 times
I am not so sure that the crime stats are correct. Look at Spotcrime.com and you see dozens of shootings, robberies etc in NY, a lot more than in cities like LA or Houston which should be a lot worse than NY. Maybe those citie do not report accuratley.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:01 PM

5,042 posts, read 11,086,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodawg View Post
I am not so sure that the crime stats are correct. Look at Spotcrime.com and you see dozens of shootings, robberies etc in NY, a lot more than in cities like LA or Houston which should be a lot worse than NY. Maybe those citie do not report accuratley.
Because there are much more people in NYC.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:10 PM

32 posts, read 85,052 times
Default Houston

has about 2 Mio and around 400 murders, NYC has only 600 murders with 8 Mio people. So the Houston map should show a lot more murders and assaults than NYC which is 6 times larger. Does not make sense?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM

423 posts, read 717,482 times
So last week apparently there was only 3 murders in NYC. (3/2/09 - 3/9/09)

Does anyone honestly believe there was three?

On saturday alone I remember of AT LEAST 3. (One on Cherry Street in Manhattan, the other in Greenpoint where they shot at the van killing the person, and another on the Upper West Side)

And that's not even counting what I saw on the Newsmaps... A double homicide in Williamsburg and another in Park Slope/ Windsor Terrace.

I'm sorry but three seems like too little for one whole week.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Man dies as his minivan is sprayed with bullets in mysterious shooting on Brooklyn Queens border

New Jersey man stabbed dead at baby shower in Manhattan

So according to the stats crime is down http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf

less homicides?
less ROBBERIES?
LESS BURGLARYS?

Crime in the big bad BK is down? thats the one that sticks out to me the most anyone from brooklyn can tell you crime in BK isnt going down

does anyone actually belive this?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM

11,151 posts, read 8,923,944 times
Can we move on, please?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Can we move on, please?

Sorry just wanna hear other peoples opinion

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 PM

567 posts, read 901,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
So last week apparently there was only 3 murders in NYC. (3/2/09 - 3/9/09)

Does anyone honestly believe there was three?

On saturday alone I remember of AT LEAST 3. (One on Cherry Street in Manhattan, the other in Greenpoint where they shot at the van killing the person, and another on the Upper West Side)

And that's not even counting what I saw on the Newsmaps... A double homicide in Williamsburg and another in Park Slope/ Windsor Terrace.

I'm sorry but three seems like too little for one whole week.
yea, this just doesn't make sence. a city the size of new york has 3 murders a week? either the nypd is forgetting to add all the murders or their cheating on the stats. you would think out of almost 9 million people so close together that there would be ATLEAST 12 murders a week, right? i guess in about 20 years nyc, with its dropping crime, will have absolutely no crime at all (sarcasm).

Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM

8,752 posts, read 8,614,709 times
Well sounds like we are expecting crime to be alot higher than reality. But thats normal, when you read the papers and everyone is regurgitating the same thing over and over again it must be all true right? The world is falling apart...crime is going thru the roof.....everyone is unemployed and losing their homes..blah blah blah. Of course reality is usually far removed from the gossip and hype of the "news" and the doom and gloom of the never ending naysayers. Are the crime stats perfect? Heck no! What is! Do cops fudge the stats...YES...all depts do! No surprises there either. However, they are a good gauge into what is happening...and although they are not bible, as a reasonable person who has been living in the city for decades (in the Woodstock area of the South Bronx), it is obvious to me, and most other residents, that NYC is far safer, not LESS safe, than even 10 years ago..and the declining crime rates demonstrate that. Will crime rates go up this year? Who knows! But so what if they do..it is normal..crime rates don't go down for ever, they fluctuate from year to year, as do most things, like housing, stocks, etc. Don't sweat the crime stats, they are not 100% fact, but they are a good guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City