Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Only God knows how much the MTA is paying an outside "consulting firm" to analyze the MTA headcount and to figure ways to reduce payroll. Once the new governor takes office next January, Jay(Meathead) Walder will be outta here!
Indeed so! And that's why he requested a guaranteed golden parachute before agreeing to come to New York--which was granted to him unconditionally. I believe it comes out to something like $850,000. So he's perfectly free to say whatever he wants and propose whatever he wants. He's got his money whether he remains at 2 Broadway or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
let's be real here: As an MTA employee, you're looking at this from the "Save my skin" angle. We all know there is too much beaurocracy within the MTA. However, to pretend that inflated pension and medical costs for employees is also not a factor is blatant dishonesty on your part.
If you understood just a little more than you do, you'd know that you're facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. This has nothing to do with "saving my skin," because I'm not in danger of losing my job.

MTA wastes nearly as much money as the Federal government. And it was only within the last few years that former City Comptroller Thompson said publicly that they keep more than one set of books. They say they haven't got money, and they certainly do enough whining and hand-wringing in public. But do they ever show the real state of their finances? It's not even necessary to ask the question--because you already know the answer.

The real issue, when you get past the accusations and innuendo, is accountability. There isn't any of that on MTA's part...and until we have a real government in Albany (as opposed to, how else to put it, clowns) nothing is going to change.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 AM

243 posts, read 1,333,415 times
let's be real here: As an MTA employee, you're looking at this from the "Save my skin" angle. We all know there is too much beaurocracy within the MTA. However, to pretend that inflated pension and medical costs for employees is also not a factor is blatant dishonesty on your part.

I don't need to worry about saving my skin because I'm a train operator and my position isn't getting touched down here. Everything down here revolves around us , if you don't have someone to operate and move the trains , you don't have a system. So I'm not worried at all , my job is secure. In fact , not only is it secure , new train operator classes are still going through and new guys are still being hired off the open competitive list. But what is being done to the other positions down here isn't right , and I'm saying that and I am of a right wing persuasion generally , I'm not a leftist or some ra-ra union type guy , and I never was a union supporter before coming down here , but after being down here several years I see the need for the TWU and I'm sick of hearing how the laborers are the reasons for the high transit fares when so much money is wasted down here in other areas. The real reason the powers that be don't like seeing us and for that matter other civil servants , getting paid decent wages is frankly it irritates them that we make 50 - 60 -70 -80k a year without college degrees and therefore we don't have to pay back tens of thousands of dollars in student loans , and there is a general attitude in America if you're not a college graduate , you don't rate a good job. Yet at least in the case of motormen we go through nearly six months of training for the job not to mention written tests and hands on practical exams ... we are not just handed our tools after taking a correspondence course or something. Every position down here has more that goes into it than meets the eye. I am a lifelong New Yorker and I lived through the era when trains were bombed with graffiti and violent crime on the subways was a reality. All the transplants to New York since the 1990's don't know what it was like (other than watching old tv shows) but let workers in customer service and support down here get laid off left and right and watch what happens to the system within 5 years. It's not going to be pretty.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Motorman I agree with what you are saying in principal. There is tons of waste and bureacracy at the MTA..nobody questions that and see that as a major problem. However, how can you ignore the massive pension/health obligations incurred by the employees as not also part of the problem? Do you realize that wages/benefits/pensions etc account for about 70% of the entire MTA budget! That leaves just 30% to actually get anything done/materials etc.

Furthermore, people are not "hating" on you or the union because you get paid $60K with no degree. What they find reprehensible is the idea that the rest of the world can hemorrhage jobs during a near global Great depression, while Unions in NYC will not only fight to the death if one person is laid off, but will also demand a raise! WOW! You know that beauracracy and waste you mentioned at the MTA? Well, since they are incapable of layoffs, they stay bloated and inefficient....70% of the budget is salares/benefits/etc..if you can't touch 70% of your budget, and in fact that portion keeps growing, how exactly do you cut down on the waste?

The only way the MTA can fix the problems is if:

A-We have a Governor interested in REALLY fixing it.
B-We have the ability to UNILATERALLY restructure the system. That means Union contracts are voided and the system is revamped as needed (layoffs, restructuring, reallocation of benefits/wages).
C- Proper funding via government and users is restored.

I am sure A and C can happen, as we have that now. B will NEVER happen...so if anyone wants the MTA to be fixed, look to B and that will tell you precisely why things will only get much much worse at the MTA, not better.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,457 times
I am aware that Local TWU 100 gave up the no layoff cause a few years ago. Does that still hold true today? I read that the union will try to fight the proposed layoffs for their members.

Sobro Guy would like to see all MTA employees under a 30/62 pension tier. The average NYCERS pension is 30-40k yr, I would call that much less than "generous."

Old 02-25-2010, 03:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
I would not like to see anything other than an MTA that is more efficient, with continually improved service, no "doomsday cuts/fare hikes" every year or 2, one that can grow and shrink the workforce as needed, with salaries/benefits it can afford. That is not outrageous or even out of the ordinary..except when referring to NYC.

If the MTA can do all of these things and provide employees all $100K salaries and "cadillac" health/pensions...I say GREAT! We are not at that point, far from it, and the powers that be are essentially powerless to impact any real changes due to, well, you know.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,331 times
Default Fare Hike 2012

MTA signs off on fare hikes that include higher base fare,*higher unlimited MetroCards and lower pay-per-ride bonuses* - NY Daily News

Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,166,913 times
Problems I see?

-Unions taking advantage of the city. Along with absurd completion timelines.

-Beneficiaries.Booth attendants are unnecessary. Why do people still drive trains? There are a ton of lines which are fully automated across the globe, time to step into the present. The L train was supposed to go fully automated this year, the 7 by 2016. The hell is taking so long.

-Lack of a congestion pricing system. In a city where less than a quarter of residents commute by automobile, why the hell are we still subsidizing driving?

What your seeing is the decline of American global competitiveness first hand.

I would also like to add, thanks to the government allowing the system to deteriorate over the course of almost half a century, we may never see in our lifetimes an efficient MTA. When a decayed, outdated system receives band aids what do you expect. Revitalizing the subway system completely would be a worthy project I would not mind being taxed for. Until New Yorkers get that through their heads we will see absolutely no progress and continue to loose out economically in the long run.

I'll tell you right now, extending the T line/Second Ave into the Bronx and Brooklyn would be massive for the city. In the Bronx at least the two possible corridors would see major redevelopment/income for the city. If they could only finish the damn first phase.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 12-19-2012 at 07:01 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,071,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Problems I see?

-Lack of a congestion pricing system. In a city where less than a quarter of residents commute by automobile, why the hell are we still subsidizing driving?
Because the quarter of residents who commute by automobile pay far more than their fair/fare share.

Release the TBTA from the MTA and you'll see how quickly that tune changes.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,166,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Because the quarter of residents who commute by automobile pay far more than their fair/fare share.

Release the TBTA from the MTA and you'll see how quickly that tune changes.
Absolutely false.

The required infrastructure, wear and tear, pollution, health problems and accidents caused by automobiles no where near pays for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City