U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 02:33 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,185,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah, but do most of these people have real day time jobs? Or do they just hang around all day in cafes playing the part of "artists" ?
Heh, heh.

Real artists, I like.

But, the type who get "art grants", drive out all the blue collar folk, and then, make stuff that's downright ugly annoy the beejebers out of me. I used to have to deal with them (I sold them chemicals) and their weird notions and attitudes. All right spang out of DaDa's money.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 04:53 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,978,088 times
Well I guess the point of the trust is that it lasts for life, or if not at least for a long period of time. So even if the parent were to die they would still keep getting money from the estate. Trust funds are usually setup by SUPER rich people who don't trust their children with money. So if you're some multi-millionaire and have some spendthrift kid, then it is usually a good idea to setup a trust fund.

Honestly, the whole NYC area is getting more screwed up by the day. All of the people who have lived in this area for generations are being forced out because they can't afford it anymore. How is this a good thing? These trust-fund folks probably don't even have jobs. They just sit around wasting money on expensive coffee and thai-stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
They moved to the center of the country not 'upstate, the bronx, NJ or NC (which is becoming another New Jersey with the attendant shallowness & rudeness)...

Like I said, what happens when the parent cut them off or die??

Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,601,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofenstein View Post
I'm going by what the article said and my own experience----not that I trust the Voice that much because I don't, but just saying....But in any case, not to play devil's advocate further but I doubt there was this mass exodus from Williamsburg to the midwest; I think people spread out when they migrate, although some areas attract more people than others due to proximity to the familiar (i.e. picking Jersey, Western/upstate NY). I've never heard of a *working class* family from NYC picking up and moving to the midwest but I know a lot who moved to Jersey 'cause the houses are cheaper and there are still "ethnic" enclaves. Similar goes for Rochester/Buffalo areas.

Anyway, I'm guessing NC stands for North Carolina? Yeah, there's been a lot of talk of people moving down there. I think that's a really recent trend, possibly even younger and slower-moving than the whole W-burg phenomenon. Shudder...but let's avoid any arguing and maintain the original purpose of this thread, which is to marvel at the useless and terrifying nature of the trust fund brats dominating an entire corner of Brooklyn.
NJ & Upstate NY are no longer cheap thanks to many NY'ers buying 'Second Homes' in these areas (the Daily News had an article about this) and taxes + commuting costs could be downright scary.

But there really is nothing special about Williamsburg other than some perceived trendiness. Much of it is dumpy & polluted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or