Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 AM

110 posts, read 219,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Gimme a Joey or a Serge from Brooklyn over a Caleb or a Meghan from wonderbread lane any day of the goddamn week.....
Hahahaha, you understand, I feel better now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 09:48 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativebrooklynite View Post
I think a lot of the midwestern trustafarian hipster set come here with giant chips on their shoulders and something to prove. They have a lot of self-hate regarding where they come from so they feel the need to constantly bash their hometowns and middle America in general, in some misguided attempt to get street cred.
Lol at trustafarian. I've actually met a worse variety, if you can believe it. The ones I'm referring to glorify their western hometown (because their family are the big landlords there (big fish in a small pond)) and they are disrespectful of New York! One even said to me New Yorkers need to "get over" 9/11. He said that around 2004 I think. He moved to NY in 1998. I had little respect for him as it was, but that comment kinda sealed the deal. He doesn't have blond dreadlocks but he is kinda ugly, meaning his mouth (literally), and hair, but especially his personality. I don't speak to him anymore. I have feeling he moved out of NY in 2010 or 2009.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 AM

How dare he presume to know what we need. When I think about that comment I get so mad. I could easily tell him "You need to quit drinking 7 effing days a week." but I did not. But grandma and grandpa paid his rent, so unless he cares about his liver and organs, really, why should he care

Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM

349 posts, read 781,307 times
I just like how some folks believe there is only 3 regions in the US - NY, California, and "the midwest". Thus all transplants are from the mythical "midwest" land which encompasses everything outside NY and CA. Hysterical.

I also like the assumption that all transplants are not only from "the midwest" but that they also have rich parents and live off of a trust fund.

Hey, I'm a transplant and I work for a living. My parents are lower class and I help THEM out on occasion not the other way around. I am also not from "the midwest". Lastly, I hate the high cost of living also. I'm not rich by any means. It's not my fault people want to charge out the a$$ for rent everywhere. It was like that when I got here.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I just like how some folks believe there is only 3 regions in the US - NY, California, and "the midwest". Thus all transplants are from the mythical "midwest" land which encompasses everything outside NY and CA. Hysterical.

I also like the assumption that all transplants are not only from "the midwest" but that they also have rich parents and live off of a trust fund.

Hey, I'm a transplant and I work for a living. My parents are lower class and I help THEM out on occasion not the other way around. I am also not from "the midwest". Lastly, I hate the high cost of living also. I'm not rich by any means. It's not my fault people want to charge out the a$$ for rent everywhere. It was like that when I got here.
Certainly there is some truth to what you say, not all of them belong under the blanket term "midwest" in fact some come from the backwoods parts of the northeast and pennsylvania. But regardless of where exactly in the US these people came from is irrelevant.

Since I am not desperately trying to move to Manhattan and live this media portrayed lifestyle these types are looking for, I don't really face the issue of my neighborhood being destroyed by these hipsters, I do however face the issue of when I visit manhattan, feeling sometimes that only I and the police and firefighters are from new york and everybody else is not.

It's not so much that all these people are bad, idiots, hicks, or the trust fund, but for me its more just a bit sad because I remember the time when you could find a sizable amount of new yorkers in manhattan and hang out with them. And you know its funny if I meet some guy from ohio and he is visiting and says to me "Yeah im visiting from ohio" that really does not bother me in the least bit, even the ones who live and work here, but what bothers me the most is these ones pretending they are new yorkers when its clear as day they are playing out some kind of TV induced fantasy of what they think New York is.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
Certainly there is some truth to what you say, not all of them belong under the blanket term "midwest" in fact some come from the backwoods parts of the northeast and pennsylvania. But regardless of where exactly in the US these people came from is irrelevant.

Since I am not desperately trying to move to Manhattan and live this media portrayed lifestyle these types are looking for, I don't really face the issue of my neighborhood being destroyed by these hipsters, I do however face the issue of when I visit manhattan, feeling sometimes that only I and the police and firefighters are from new york and everybody else is not.

It's not so much that all these people are bad, idiots, hicks, or the trust fund, but for me its more just a bit sad because I remember the time when you could find a sizable amount of new yorkers in manhattan and hang out with them. And you know its funny if I meet some guy from ohio and he is visiting and says to me "Yeah im visiting from ohio" that really does not bother me in the least bit, even the ones who live and work here, but what bothers me the most is these ones pretending they are new yorkers when its clear as day they are playing out some kind of TV induced fantasy of what they think New York is.
Believe it or not I can relate to what you are saying. I am from Atlanta and just about EVERYONE that lives there is from the NE or some other part of the country. They come to take advantage of our low cost of living, weather and job opportunities then insult the locals like they can't do anything right. How do you think that makes the locals feel? Whenever I meet someone in ATL that is ACTUALLY from there I almost faint.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not I can relate to what you are saying. I am from Atlanta and just about EVERYONE that lives there is from the NE or some other part of the country. They come to take advantage of our low cost of living, weather and job opportunities then insult the locals like they can't do anything right. How do you think that makes the locals feel? Whenever I meet someone in ATL that is ACTUALLY from there I almost faint.

Interesting, I thought this was something more unique to New York because of its media attention that draws in all these types of people, but I guess not.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Well, the person I mentioned (the one who said NY needs to get over 9/11) is a real person who admitted grandma and grandpa did pay his rent (because they're big landlords west of the Mississippi in a real non-mythical place) although they weren't thrilled with the arrangement. So no assumption there. When he was forced to report back to them via phone (ie: "Did you find a job yet?"), his answer would be "I'm trying." But re: his little quip about 9/11, sometimes I wonder if some people simply enjoy being obnoxious. That could've been the case with that particular person. He's a huge drinker and was one of those "nasty drunks" after a certain point. Ask any of his friends and each and every one will tell you about their issues with him, including wondering whether or not to drop him as a friend. He didn't merely have issues - he had whole subscriptions.

Last edited by grimace8; 01-02-2011 at 04:29 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Well, the person I mentioned (the one who said NY needs to get over 9/11) is a real person who admitted grandma and grandpa did pay his rent (because they're big landlords west of the Mississippi in a real non-mythical place) although they weren't thrilled with the arrangement. So no assumption there. When he was forced to report back to them via phone (ie: "Did you find a job yet?"), his answer would be "I'm trying." But re: his little quip about 9/11, sometimes I wonder if some people simply enjoy being obnoxious. That could've been the case with that particular person. He's a huge drinker and was one of those "nasty drunks" after a certain point. Ask any of his friends and each and every one will tell you about their issues with him, including wondering whether or not to drop him as a friend. He didn't merely have issues - he had whole subscriptions.
Well that guy sounds like an obnoxious a-hole. I wasnt singling you out btw. Just venting on stereotypes I have seen portrayed on this board and elsewhere.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM

122 posts, read 210,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Try growing up in a place with 8 gazillion people. After awhile, you'll start developing a tick also. NYC isn't for the faint of heart. Granted you have your madison ave., park ave, 5 ave, etc... Most people don't live on those avenues. The real vibe of the city takes place north of 96 st in manhattan and all the other boroughs. Most people don't relate to southern or Midwestern hospitality. It’s not because they can’t or don’t want to, this city was never meant for it. Life in the city is a struggle in all capacities. Rather it be trying to get a seat on the 4 train during rush hour or, trying to move your car from the meter before 8AM. Welcome to the big Apple. Please enjoy your stay.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Very-well stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City