U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,052,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I didn't think it's a big deal and I have seen it before in NYC. I just found it creepy. It reminds me of 9/11, social instability, and it reminds me of seeing these big ugly guns in European and Asian airports and banks.
You're right; it is creepy. But we're not living in the same world we used to. If the sight of a special police unit armed with machine guns keeps someone from committing an act of terrorism in this city, it's worthwhile. I hope that I never have to live through another day like September 11, 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 PM

283 posts, read 761,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Probably some sort of drill or training. Regular beat cops are not trained to use machine guns. There are specific units that are trained and allowed to use them. So don't worry about some dumb comp shooting you with a machine gun.
True for now, but I believe that starting with either the past police academy class or the next one, every new recruit will be trained on machine guns. Not to say they're going to carry them or (fingers crossed) ever have to so much as touch one in real life. I'm not really super comfortable with the idea of 22-year-old rookie police officers even being trained on those things, to be honest, but I guess it can't do much harm.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 PM

556 posts, read 863,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiecupdrinking View Post
I'm not really super comfortable with the idea of 22-year-old rookie police officers even being trained on those things, to be honest, but I guess it can't do much harm.
Thats some good kool-aid in that dixie cup, huh?

Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,582,264 times
Not to go off a beaten path, but NYPD should really raise their hiring age limit and do away with their 34 year old age limit. Most other agencies have done away with this policy.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Thats some good kool-aid in that dixie cup, huh?
Well, you gotta choose your battles sometimes. NYPD's got tighter hiring standards than the military, for instance. For the most part, the NYPD cops you'll actually see carrying those heavy weapons are among the best-trained police in the country. And like someone else said, when's the last time you heard of an NYPD cop spraying someone with a machine gun. I wonder when was the last time anyone ever fired one of those things.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:09 PM

50,301 posts, read 47,653,355 times
wow surprising to read the posts. unless there are a bunch of felons posting, it would seem NYC has a police problem not a crime problem.
i guess NYC changed since i last visited.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM

556 posts, read 863,023 times
Quote:
Well, you gotta choose your battles sometimes. NYPD's got tighter hiring standards than the military, for instance. For the most part, the NYPD cops you'll actually see carrying those heavy weapons are among the best-trained police in the country. And like someone else said, when's the last time you heard of an NYPD cop spraying someone with a machine gun. I wonder when was the last time anyone ever fired one of those things.
I donít mind them having them(On Call), but posting them in a subway tunnel hardly makes any sense.

Now if they where going around with biological agent detectors and ACTIVLELY having the bomb sniffing dogs go around, that sounds OK. Every time I see them use a dog, they just go into one car(LIRR, Subway). Whatís the point of that? They donít have enough time to go thru a few cars? What are they being paid for? I hate seeing 8 standing, doing nothing, while one pretend him and that dog are going to find something, while not looking.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:27 AM

376 posts, read 910,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
I donít mind them having them(On Call), but posting them in a subway tunnel hardly makes any sense.

Now if they where going around with biological agent detectors and ACTIVLELY having the bomb sniffing dogs go around, that sounds OK. Every time I see them use a dog, they just go into one car(LIRR, Subway). Whatís the point of that? They donít have enough time to go thru a few cars? What are they being paid for? I hate seeing 8 standing, doing nothing, while one pretend him and that dog are going to find something, while not looking.
You just hate the cops. Every post in this thread you have made about them has been negative. The nypd made this city livable again. God bless them all. They could have a guy with a 50 cal on every corner and it would not bother me one bit.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:53 AM

124 posts, read 240,691 times
Quote:
Its the fact that it could happen not the fact that it hasn't. If they feel they need them that means that they are expecting to be in a situation where they will have to use them. When that day comes, your not gonna have the same feeling. Cause there is no way to fire one of those without hitting an innocent victim on a busy street of NYC.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingMusician91 View Post
Its the fact that it could happen not the fact that it hasn't. If they feel they need them that means that they are expecting to be in a situation where they will have to use them. When that day comes, your not gonna have the same feeling. Cause there is no way to fire one of those without hitting an innocent victim on a busy street of NYC.
Which is why they almost certainly won't do it. It's a visual deterrent. Makes me uncomfortable as well, which I said, but that's because I think it's a culturally troubling thing, not because there's any risk of actually getting mowed down by an NYPD machine gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City