U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 AM

893 posts, read 2,459,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's 2009 folks. You can live where you very well please. If you like a neighborhood what does it matter what your neighbor's ethnic background is?

As a parent I would be somewhat concerned about my kids growing up in a neighborhood where everyone around them was from the same background. While it would definitely have its positives, I think it develops negative sheltered attitudes in people.
True but you don't want to be black living in Howard Beach or Bensonhurst. Or White living in Laurelton or St. Albans. Honestly I would prefer a town thats diverse vs one thats everyone is the same color as me. I'm living in a town where everybody is the same color as me and it SUCKS. I had more diversity in my town on Long Island(Valley Stream)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:33 AM

825 posts, read 2,763,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
True but you don't want to be black living in Howard Beach or Bensonhurst. Or White living in Laurelton or St. Albans. Honestly I would prefer a town thats diverse vs one thats everyone is the same color as me. I'm living in a town where everybody is the same color as me and it SUCKS. I had more diversity in my town on Long Island(Valley Stream)
I was also looking at places out of the city, on Long Island. Valley Stream is one of the towns that I like. would you recommend Valley Stream? and if so, what other places on Long Island are similar to Valley Stream. I was thinking Lynbrook and Massapequa.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 AM

893 posts, read 2,459,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
I was also looking at places out of the city, on Long Island. Valley Stream is one of the towns that I like. would you recommend Valley Stream? and if so, what other places on Long Island are similar to Valley Stream. I was thinking Lynbrook and Massapequa.
Yeah definitely consider Valley Stream. Many of the LI posters talk bad about it because it is diverse. Try to stay in district 13. Lynbrook is also a great pick. Especially the westwood section I think its called. I'm not familiar on Massapequa. For Long Island try Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Woodmere, Wantagh, Oceanside, Rockville Centre, Seaford, etc.

it depends on the lifestyle you want. If you want semi-urban stick to Queens. If you want flat out suburban head out to Long Island.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 PM

10,601 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's 2009 folks. You can live where you very well please. If you like a neighborhood what does it matter what your neighbor's ethnic background is?

As a parent I would be somewhat concerned about my kids growing up in a neighborhood where everyone around them was from the same background. While it would definitely have its positives, I think it develops negative sheltered attitudes in people.
OP already told us he doesn't want to be the only white family in the area. He did not say he didn't want to live in a mixed area, he just said he did not want to live in an area that is exclusively or almost-exclusively non-white.

He never said he wants to be in an all-white area. You projected that on him.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM

825 posts, read 2,763,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
OP already told us he doesn't want to be the only white family in the area. He did not say he didn't want to live in a mixed area, he just said he did not want to live in an area that is exclusively or almost-exclusively non-white.

He never said he wants to be in an all-white area. You projected that on him.
^yeah, she hit the nail right on the head. i like diversity and I promote it. but if i had to, I would rather live in a community that is exclusively my own race and background, than live in a neighborhood that is not my own race. i just wouldn't fit in. it's not racism, it's just the truth. Here's an example: I'm not sure what the waspiest town in America is, but I'm sure a black person is going to want to live in more of a diverse area or a black neighborhood. same goes for any race. think of a town on Long Island that's mostly white (above 95%). if a black individual had to chose between the msotly white town or Roosevelt, where do you think he would go?

Last edited by STrapani1105; 03-01-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 AM

257 posts, read 772,140 times
Corona's pretty dumpy. And yeah, the schools suck. Newtown High is awful.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 AM

878 posts, read 2,490,586 times
Quote:
^yeah, she hit the nail right on the head. i like diversity and I promote it. but if i had to, I would rather live in a community that is exclusively my own race and background, than live in a neighborhood that is not my own race. i just wouldn't fit in. it's not racism, it's just the truth. Here's an example: I'm not sure what the waspiest town in America is, but I'm sure a black person is going to want to live in more of a diverse area or a black neighborhood. same goes for any race. think of a town on Long Island that's mostly white (above 95%). if a black individual had to chose between the msotly white town or Roosevelt, where do you think he would go?
It depends on the persons comfort level. Like NooYowkur81 stated, you can live wherever you want to. Seeing people that look like me doesn't mean too much insofar as where I would live. I live in a Black neighborhood that is mostly Caribbean and Jewish and it took gettng used to because neither culture is a part of my background. I have lived in an almost exclusively White neighborhood and it took some getting used to but it never was uncomfortable. Now if I had a wife and kids my thought pattern may be different because what I am comfortable with may be different then what they are comfortable with. Anyway, there are loads of neighborhoods in Queens that fit your agenda. Just don't look for anything in Southeastern Queens since it is predominately Black but Floral Park, Bayside, Whitestone etc., would be the kinds of neighborhoods that fit your description.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 AM

6 posts, read 18,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
im in bay terrace and love the area
Greetings neighbor http://nicolaedabija.com/mycookie/37/1235034635/smile.gif (broken link)

Cindy

Old 03-02-2009, 04:55 PM

19 posts, read 112,548 times
Default hmmm...

Anywhere near Jamaica or Corona

Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM

20 posts, read 85,545 times
Quote:
Corona as in... "Goodbye to Rosie, the queen of Corona." ?

^great song

so here's a list of areas I like that were mentioned (no particular order)

Bayside
Middle Village
Whitestone
Howard Beach

these areas are second on my list:

Flushing
Ozone Park
Forest Hills
Rego Park
Middle Village, Howard Beach and Whitestone have a lot of Italians. Howard Beach would be the center of Italian population in Queens.

Bayside has Italians, Irish, Jews and but is more diverse with a large Korean and Chinese community. Some parts of Bayside are very expensive.

Flushing is the center of Queen's Chinese community, with some Hispanics. The area is nice, but most of the White population is elderly.

Ozone Park is decent, but the Italian community is loosing strength with Carribean and Hispanic immigrants who make up the majority.

Forest Hills and Rego Park are mostly made up of Jewish immigrants from former Soviet Republics and Chinese immigrants. Forest Hills and Rego Park are nice neighborhoods, probably one of the safest neighborhoods in Queens.

Try to buy a home in School District 26. The district serves Douglaston, Bayside, Little Neck, Floral Park, Glen Oaks, Bellerose, Jamaica Estates, Fresh Meadows and part of Forest Hills. It is considered to be the best District in New York City, comparable with good suburban Districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or