U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 9,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggz View Post
By chance have any of you ever lived at 3333 Broadway or know someone who has? Years Late 70's early 80's.
yes, i used to live there when i was about 3 or 4 years old. i moved to SC when i was 5 so i don't remember too much about the area. i do rememeber the apt i lived in and the lady who used to keep me & her granddaughter while my mom was at work. my husband and i planning a trip up there next year since it has been over 26 years since i've been in NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM

17 posts, read 99,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinsqueen View Post
yes, i used to live there when i was about 3 or 4 years old. i moved to SC when i was 5 so i don't remember too much about the area. i do rememeber the apt i lived in and the lady who used to keep me & her granddaughter while my mom was at work. my husband and i planning a trip up there next year since it has been over 26 years since i've been in NY

all of this violence there is really sad. i know my parents got the apartment when the buildings first opened. it was supposed to be really nice. we lived in the c building on the 3rd floor. my sister used to attend the school that was in the basement area. i also remember how on the fourth of july, we could sit outside and watch fireworks..........unfortunately know it seems like there are a different type of fireworks going on over there!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 AM

11 posts, read 25,592 times
I currently live in that building right now. and I'm trying to leave once my lease is up. I moved in about three years ago right before the building stopped being a mitchell lama. Mitchell Lama was the main reason I tried to get into the building I was young and wanted an affordable apartment considering I wasn't making that much and was trying to finished graduate school. I specifically asked management if this was still going to be a Mitchell Lama building b/c I had heard other wise. And they told me yes. they were eager to get me in there. and I was too young and dumb to know why. I went from paying 664 for a studio under mitchell lama which was great to a 716 in a matter of months. And now I'm close to what their market rent is. Also when I was shown the building it was during the morning after b/w 9 and 10 when kids were at school and people were off to work. Needless to say in the beginning my neighbors left a little to be desired. with all of the slamming of doors and loud music playing, yelling up and down the hall, people with lawn chairs out in the front of the building, like they are at the beach. I must admit that over they years they've gotten dramatically better.

But as nice and my studio is and as great as the view is, management does a horrible job at keeping the building up. Granted much of the tenants are to blame, but its management too. I think they are so busy trying to get certain people in that they are neglecting just general up keep of the building.

Around the corner on Riverside drive is wonferful and I go walking often along that side. But up and down broadway. rarely. It is conviently located near the train and near many parks. Theres alot of potential in that neighborhood but they have along way to go before I would recommend move there. that particular building has leaps and bounds to go before its considered decent.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:27 PM

8 posts, read 52,949 times
I completely agree Luckycarmed --

The building's maintenance is sluggish, if at all, to do anything concerning proper upkeep and beautification.

We were lured to the place with such grand talks of complete overhaul: new hallways, new entrance, new lighting. And to this day, they can't even repair the leak that's been dripping for eight months from the lobby ceiling. Instead, they just sit a series of buckets to catch the water.

Elevators never work. Hot water only half the time. They installed a fence (one of the other overhaul projects), only for it to be about 4 feet high. It serves absolutely no purpose, especially in keeping people from loitering at the front in their chairs, etc.

I love my apartment. It's so big and the views are spectacular. But I absolutely hate HATE HATE everything that is on the other side of my door.

And to those who gripe about gentrification: I do not pity a majority of the people in my building who are being displaced by rising costs -- the day I can come home and not smell **** in the elevator or see mounds of trash collecting in the hallways or see graffiti etched everywhere or hear music blasting, blaring, hurting my ears at 2 in the morning or see drug deals occur in front of security (cameras!), then I'll entertain the idea of empathy.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,450 times
Default I lived there

My family and I lived there from when it was opened...I went to PS 161 up the hill...

I moved when I went away to college...

Old 11-19-2007, 02:17 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,655,211 times
i was always interested in this building, as i always used to see it walking to manhattanville houses, its so huge....the conditions in there are really that bad?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:23 AM

39 posts, read 171,211 times
Default The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclubdiva View Post
My family and I lived there from when it was opened...I went to PS 161 up the hill...

I moved when I went away to college...
I remember when they first started building 3333. I lived in 604 and used to look out of my bedroom window to watch the construction. Later on there was a man named "Percy" who used to have my brother and I sweep out the construction offices that were temporarily positioned in the 3333 site.

We used to sneak into the gym to play basketball. We had a great time. After the building was ready for occupancy. My family was one of the first to move in. I was the president of the first youth organization.

Back then 3333 was the showcase of the neighborhood. It attracted many well educated and community oriented people. I lived in "E" building on the fifth floor. Many of my friends went to 161. I however went to 192 which is on 136th street.

It would be a pleasure to connect with some of you good people who may have known me...Peace.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 PM

39 posts, read 171,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
No, but I've been to that hellhole many times over the years. I hear it is still a tough place and is an anchor & albatross to a neighborhood trying to clear its name.
In terms of a neighborhood trying to clear it's name. I must ask. From what period of time are you referring to. Are you talking about when "Jack" the mailman used to bring the welfare checks a day early on the 15th so that the poor people there could eat. Or when Mr Ed used to fix those Volkswagons at 602 w 135th st in the basement. Better yet how about when "Charles" from the fish market on 136th st used to take the "ENTIRE BLOCK" to the movies on Sunday. That man got me my first job in that same fish market.

You see, for some of us who lived there when the neighborhood was not the immediate target of gentrification. It was a place where everyone KNEW EVERYONE. It was home.

If you say it has turned into a "Hellhole." That is very unfortunate. However in terms of it "Clearing it's name." It was ALWAYS called " HOME " to those of us who Lived and worked there.

So in my opinion the neighborhood only had to "CLEAR IT's NAME" when people who wanted to come in. Did not have enough RESPECT to join in and help the area evolve. They seem to simply want to leave their overpriced apartments downtown and move to where they could "Actually Afford" the rent. Yet when they move in. They wish to remove any semblance of prior culture and instill there own. What a shame.

By the way. Do you know what was on the corner of 135th and Broadway before 3333 was built?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM

706 posts, read 3,355,371 times
No, but my Dad owned 3610 many, many rains ago.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 9,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollKinder View Post
I actually live in the building now. I'm one of the "new tenants," though I've lived there for over a year.

It's a former Mitchell Lama building that's been recently sold to private developers. My understanding (based on what we were told when we first moved in) is that the management company is slowly ridding the building of those that cannot afford market rate units, rennovating the vacant apartments, and renting them for 4 and 5 times the price.

The building is quite symbolic of the entire neighborhood: an small, yet growing influx of higher income and educated residents making a niche in a, until now, undesireable neighborhood.

The building's inside is, frankly, say the least, unappealing. Very institutional. The rennovated apartments are nice, with beautiful views and large, open floor plans. The common areas and grounds are still littered with constant trash, graffiti and loiterers.

I'll be curious to see how the building continues to evolve... only, after another year, it's move-out time.
CAN YOU TELL ME WHO THE MANAGEMENT COMPANY IS FOR THE BLDG. WE ARE LOOKING AT PLACES THERE, BUT THE REALTOR ISN'T GETTING BACK TO US. THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or