Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,812 times

Advertisements

Have been in the same apartment for 4 years. Lease is up, scared to sign 2 year. Will go for 1 year. Can the renter add a 30 day out clause because I may be one of the hopeless millions loosing my job to downsizing.

Can I write it in and hope they will sign? Do I need an Attorney?

Thanks Everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
You can add it, but doubt the landlord would sign it.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:51 AM

90 posts, read 423,089 times
My landlord allowed me to write in an option to vacate the lease with 30 days notice similar to what you're describing. But I don't know if he would do that in the current climate with the market being softer and all. I did not do it with an attorney...just have HIM write exactly what you want done in the lease. Whoever writes the clause will be responsible for making it clear in writing if there ever was a disagreement.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:12 PM

151 posts, read 534,774 times
In all reality if you do break the lease not many land lords would chase after the tenant, you may just lose out on your security deposit. I had a tenant break the lease due to financial hardship, it would cost me more to get money from them through a lawsuit. I just used that energy to find another tenant which I did with no problem. Now if your apartment is run by a property management firm then they may send it to collections. If your in a apartment is owned by someone who just owns one or two properties I would not worry about breaking your lease.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,812 times
Default Ok

Thank you all for sending your information. The problem now is I just got let go. Down sized. More upset and don't know if I can find a way to stay in New York.

Just one of the many many thousands.

Thank you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: