Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 13,723 times

Advertisements

I am a recent college grad who is relocating to New York from Miami this summer. I am basically asking for all information possible about New York life. I need to know where I should live, What there is to do, how easy is it to meet people, and just a rundown on basic life in New York. I know this may come as a shock to most of you, but I have never been to New York, so I know nothing about it except for what I see in movies and hear from people. Again any and all HELPFUL information is welcome! Here are some basic facts bout me and what I am looking for.

concerning rent and places to live. I dont know how much I am looking to pay, my salary is aroun 55-60K, office is in Manhattan in a large financial firm. I am looking for areas that are close by, safe, and not a shoe box . Also with great places to just go out meet new people and good food! Is living in New Jersey worth it?

Im not a huge party all night kinda person but I love to go out and have fun. So proximity to bars and clubs are also kinda important, but not vital. Soccer is a huge part of my life, so any info on soccer leauges, or clubs would be greatly appreciated.

I must admit I am nervous about the move just because I know so little about New York, I have spent most of my life in Miami, and I love the life I have here, New York cant replace the weather, or the beaches, but I am sure it has alot to offer. Thank you all for listening to my pitiful plea for help and I look forward to hearing your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Check the posts in the sticky at the top of the board, 'Need info on moving to NYC.' That should provide you with some information.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
some questions:

How much can you spend on rent?

Where in Manhattan is your office located? (you don't need to give the specific address, just the intersection, or general vicinity such as near of Grand Central Station.) This is importatant because if your office is in midtown, Queens locations might be better for your commute; if it's way downtown, then Brooklyn might be better.

Are you open to living with roommates? This is imporanat because if you want your rent to be, say around $1000 or $1200, if you live with roommates your options open up dramatically in terms of areas. If you can find a good roommate situation, this might also help you meet more people.

I don't know NJ well enough to suggest areas, but in Brooklyn I would suggest Williamsburg and Greenpoint (many young people, lots going on, many places to go out). And Astoria in Queens.

In Wmsburg and Brooklyn if you can only spend $1000-$1200 a month a rent, that means a roommate situation. In Astoria you might be able to get a studio on your own.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM

120 posts, read 438,795 times
With a $60K salary, you won't be able to get more than a $1500/mo rent.

$1500 might get you a studio in Manhattan, possibly a 1bdrm if you look hard enough. Sounds like you work in the Financial district, so living in Brooklyn may actually be better for you in terms of finding a cheaper place and commute.

Since you love soccer, there is an indoor soccer league at Chelsea Piers. It's expensive, but perhaps your company would sponsor a team. Otherwise, you can enroll as an individual and get placed on a team. Soccer Main - The Field House at Chelsea Piers - New York City - NYC (http://www.chelseapiers.com/fhSoc.htm - broken link)

Some tips:
1. Forget about a car.
2. Learn to love pizza, falafels, street carts (halal food), gyros.
3. Avoid hot dog stands unless its Gray Papaya
4. There are great cheap eats around the city, discovering them is part of the fun. Yelp.com is great for this.
5. Avoid Times Square/Midtown - its a fake NYC feel. 80% tourists.
6. Fun places are all downtown, usually in East Village, LES, Greenwich Village.
7. Learn to be patient, you'll find yourself waiting for every little thing (subway, restaurants, grocery store)
8. You'll probably hate it for a couple months and then you'll visit home and be bored off your ass and be wanting to go back to NYC

Old 03-14-2009, 10:21 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I'm surprised you didn't get more replies, so I'll mention a few things.

First, a roommate is the way to go. Partly because you're young. Partly because you're new to the city. Partly because you shouldn't spend the maximum you can afford on rent. But try to get a roommate you know/like, because it will be fun to have someone to do things with. Start by finding out if your college has an alumni group in NYC, and maybe you can network through them. Think about getting a short-term sublet (which is easy in the summer) which you get a feel for different neighborhoods and find a suitable roommate. Don't worry about proximity to nightlife, because your nightlife won't necessarily be near your home.

Second, read. Don't just ask people on the internet. Buy yourself a few books on NYC. They'll give you a feel for what it's like and where you might like to be.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I suggest either Brooklyn (Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights) or Queens (Astoria, Rego Park, Forest Hills or Kew Gardens) rather that New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: