U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:14 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,573,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Your opinion is not shared with most who live in your area. I also wouldn't call you middle class living in that area. Part of the middle class life is living in better lower crime areas with similar incomes, with good schools and other perks. You just have a higher income then the neighborhood average.
Very bitter. Have you taken a survey of my neighbors?

Last edited by yodel; 05-17-2007 at 04:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 AM

Maybe you can arrange with the IRS to reduce our income taxes!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM

67 posts, read 331,163 times
I used to live in Inwood. I see lots of diversity and family-oriented people. Most of them are professionals, artists, etc. In the morning, I used to see lots of parents take the kids to school/day care while on they way to work. It's so cute!

Good luck! Check the NY times real estate. They have a good search engine as well.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:08 PM

9,847 posts, read 22,129,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsval View Post
I used to live in Inwood. I see lots of diversity and family-oriented people. Most of them are professionals, artists, etc. In the morning, I used to see lots of parents take the kids to school/day care while on they way to work. It's so cute!

Good luck! Check the NY times real estate. They have a good search engine as well.
According to Hustla all those kids are doomed to be gangmembers or crackheads.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:20 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,095,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Very bitter. Have you taken a survey of my neighbors?
There was a servay taken by the health dept back in 04 I belive, one of the questions was "do you feel your neighborhood is safe". In the 52 precinct the vast majority said no. Something like 80%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
According to Hustla all those kids are doomed to be gangmembers or crackheads.
Not doomed, but those kids will have a lot of obsticles. The previous poster lives in Inwood but most likely west of Broadway up the hill. MUCH better then down the hill to the east.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:56 PM

Actually my neighborhood is a small part of the 52nd Precinct, and the only statistics you've provided so far are unverifiable, such as saying that crime has gone way up in the 52nd when NYPD statistics indicate the opposite. Even the pictures you went to the trouble of posting are either not from this area or so old that those businesses no longer exist. You don't know exactly where I live (and I'd like to keep it that way) but judging from your previous comments, you seem upset that anyone not living in a majority white location is not miserable and dying to get out! It's weird that this matters so much to you.

Last edited by yodel; 05-17-2007 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Actually my neighborhood is a small part of the 52nd Precinct, and the only statistics you've provided so far are unverifiable, such as saying that crime has gone way up in the 52nd when NYPD statistics indicate the opposite. Even the pictures you went to the trouble of posting are either not from this area or so old that those businesses no longer exist. You don't know exactly where I live (and I'd like to keep it that way) but judging from your previous comments, you seem upset that anyone not living in a majority white location is not miserable and dying to get out! It's weird that this matters so much to you.
Yes, your area is a small part of the 52 but the whole precinct has been declining. Crime in the 52 is also up, trust me on that. There is number fudging out the ass across this whole damn city, and has been for a long time now. All the low income areas of the city are up and continue to rise. As for the photos, they are from 204th Street near the 52 precinct.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:13 AM

55 posts, read 496,478 times
Hustler 718, would you say that generally, Harlem gets rougher the further north you go?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big happy View Post
Hustler 718, would you say that generally, Harlem gets rougher the further north you go?
Is there really a difference between north or south. The closer you are to public housing the more bull**** you will see. Plus there are plenty of tenement blocks as bad if not worse then PJ's. In Harlem it's all about pockets. East Harlem and northern Harlem seem to have the most pockets becuase of the all the PJ's. West Harlem the least. It's Harlem, it's not exactly an area you will take a jog through at night. However you can pull off living there if you are single. Best pockets are brownstone blocks here and there, away from PJ's. Worst are areas near pjs and heavy concentrations of tenements. However most of the Harlem is tenements and projects.

Here is all the NYCHA complexes in East Harlem. Highest concentration of low income public housing in the USA. This does not include tenements and other apartment complexes that are section 8 and under other affordable housing programs.

The rest of Harlem is pretty similar (slightly less concentration) with the exception of the west side of Harlem where PJ's are more much more spread out in comparison. It's too bad even west Harlem has problems though. Lots of drug activity in the sugar hill area, lots of crime in the vicinity of the grant houses, ect.

Personally, why live in Harlem when you can live in Queens or better off parts of southern Brooklyn. Harlem is WAY overpriced for what it is. It's like paying 4 dollars for a bottle of water. A rip off.

my personal opinion is this. Harlem is currently experencing a rent/build boom which is displacing many of it's residents. However this boom is all about making money quick. The area is still poor and has a lot of crime. But the biggest thing is this. The White population is shrinking in NYC. A few yuppies move into Harlem but they are very outnumbered by Dominican, Mexican, African and Jamaican immigrants also moving in. These people are are low income. This means the area is only going to get poorer and the demand for such expensive housing is only going to drop in the future. Real estate people are ripping people off, making money now. However the people moving in are going to deal with bull**** that will never change for the better, only get worse. Being Manhattan north of 96th street has so much housing for low income people, it will always be a low income area. Eventually these young students and new middle income (future upper income) Harlemites will start to move and the yuppies will stop coming to this area.

Last edited by Hustla718; 05-18-2007 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-18-2007, 02:08 PM

9,847 posts, read 22,129,360 times
You make some interesting points Hustla. The main question is will the young professionals that are attracted to Harlem stay in the area once they are more financially stable. My guess is some will, but most will not. Most will probably move to other areas.

The thing is that a lot of building and development is going on there and not all of it is of the quick buck variety. There are some really nice condo buildings that have been built sprinkled throughtout Harlem. Whoever is developing these buildings is thinking of a long term investment.

My guess is there will be kind of a transient vibe in Harlem, young professionals moving in, but eventually moving out, new young professionals move, so on and so forth. It will be like this for the next 10 to 15 years probably. What happens after that I don't know. Hard to tell.

Drugs and low income is usually a mix for crime, so that is going to exist. That isn't going away anytime soon but I really have a hard time seeing Harlem going back to how it was during the peak of the crack epidemic. I don't think it will ever be that bad again. Which is progress. Maybe not the miracle some make it out to be, but it is progress.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-18-2007 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City