U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 23,286 times

Advertisements

My DH want to move to NYC and there are not many places we can afford. We want to buy a 2 bedroom place, and eventually have kids. Is Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights and places near there safe? If we have kids they would most likely go to private school (that is a longggg time from now)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 08:28 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,412,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceskater View Post
My DH want to move to NYC and there are not many places we can afford. We want to buy a 2 bedroom place, and eventually have kids. Is Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights and places near there safe? If we have kids they would most likely go to private school (that is a longggg time from now)
If you can't afford it now I seriously doubt that you will be able to afford it with kids. What do you do for a living? Is there a reason you need to be in New York- short or long term? You are choosing areas that are not child friendly in terms of young kids and you have a very narrow area that you are looking at. A one bedroom or studio is where someone from out of town w/o funds would start off. Renting an apartment w/o kids is possible if you can lower your expectations. If you do not live in a large urban area now-you might be in for a lot of surprises in your apartment search. Private schools in NY cost lots of $$ by the way and in 10 years that will be even more the case but it's a nice fantasy.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 23,286 times
Well we are looking at all of Manhattan, but we can only spend around 600,000. I have been looking at Mod cut: NO real estate sites and most of the places we can afford are in the neighborhoods I mentioned. I have some family in NYC so I know about the costs.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-30-2009 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-21-2007, 09:01 PM

8 posts, read 48,413 times
Forget about those neighborhoods. They are not safe. Also avoid the south Bronx too. These are definitly not ideal areas. You need to do some research first if you want to move to the NYC area. It is very expensive to live here, and everyone will try to separate you from your hard earned money. If you have a very good income, then I would suggest looking in the NY Times. Otherwise try looking around the lower eastside, Tribeca or even Grenich village. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 PM

500 posts, read 2,671,600 times
Hello iceskater,

Excuse Cyntmac's rudeness, but she doesn't even live in New York. She's in Los Angeles!

I wouldn't listen to 1stimeDad. He probably doesn't live in Manhattan and doesn't read the crime statistics, so he doesn't know that, these days, it is safer to live in Harlem than in Minnesota.

Now, listen, I wouldn't have kids living in The Island except if you have a large salary (specially if you want them to go to private school).

But 600,000 dollars will buy you a nice 1-bedroom in many areas of Manhattan. For example in Midtown Manhattan where I am, two blocks from Times Square. They won't be new development or luxury condos, but nice apartments anyway.

"everyone will try to separate you from your hard earned money"

1stDad, what does this mean exactly? Is somebody trying to rob you?

Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
I agree with Manhattan-ite. I, too, live in Manhattan. 1stTimeDad, it seems, isn't familiar with NY - otherwise he might know that Greenwich (the correct spelling) Village is among the more expensive areas. Harlem is getting better and better - especially around Sugar Hill.

In Midtown, in the east 50s you get a LOT of bang for the buck with respect to apartments and you'll be able to find a one bedroom.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:46 AM

1,241 posts, read 3,597,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I agree with Manhattan-ite. I, too, live in Manhattan. 1stTimeDad, it seems, isn't familiar with NY - otherwise he might know that Greenwich (the correct spelling) Village is among the more expensive areas. Harlem is getting better and better - especially around Sugar Hill.

In Midtown, in the east 50s you get a LOT of bang for the buck with respect to apartments and you'll be able to find a one bedroom.
Where exactly in the East 50's do you get 'alot of bang for the buck'. Is it in one of those mythical $600,000 one bedroom apartments?? Even the NY Times says that finding a one bedroom anywhere in Manhattan at $800,000 is hard. Then you only have another $1,000 - $1,500 per month in monthly maintenance costs on top of the mortgage.

Yes, Harlem is getting better & better and really isn't much different than the other neighborhoods of Manhattan these days. I guess as long as there are expensive clothing stores selling $500 Jeans, $2,000 coats, and $3,000 handbags along with Starbucks on every corner means that a neighborhood is safe enough.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
I totally disagree with 1stTimeDad. If you are looking to buy in Harlem or Washington Heights more than likely it is a very nice area of those neighborhoods. Yes there are some rough parts to those neighborhoods but to reject the whole area would be ignorant. Trust me there are some really nice areas in Harlem and Washington Heights, especially Washington Heights where you can buy an apartment and get a relatively "good deal," compared to the rest of the city. In fact Washington Heights and Harlem are the only "good deal," areas in Manhattan right now and the prices are going up quickly especially in Harlem. If you want to go further up on the manhattan map you can even look at Inwood.

Personally I think most of the whole NYC real estate market is ridiculously overpriced, but that is a whole other set of issues.

As for schooling for your kids, you might want to look into Catholic schools, or charter schools.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:54 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
Harlem? No

Washington Heights? It depends. The area north of 179/180th Street, South of Tyron Park and West of Broadway is pretty nice, if somewhat boring. This is an old German Jewish neighborhood and is commonly referred to as "Hudson Heights"

Do not, I repeat, do not live in Washington Heights proper. The area is almost completely Dominican. So unless you like the concept of eating mangu with cheese for breakfast for the rest of your life, I suggest you stay away.

Now in my mind I have to ask you this. If you are willing to live all the way in the North of Manhattan which is fairly far from where you would likely find a job (Midtown or Wall street), then why not just look into Queens or Brooklyn? You could probably find a bigger place, in a nicer neighborhood, for less money, and also with about the same commute. Are you just looking for the Manhattan mailing address (as so many are), or have you not looked into Queens and Brooklyn?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 AM

1,241 posts, read 3,597,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Now in my mind I have to ask you this. If you are willing to live all the way in the North of Manhattan which is fairly far from where you would likely find a job (Midtown or Wall street), then why not just look into Queens or Brooklyn? You could probably find a bigger place, in a nicer neighborhood, for less money, and also with about the same commute. Are you just looking for the Manhattan mailing address (as so many are), or have you not looked into Queens and Brooklyn?
Many parts of Queens & Brooklyn are almost just as expensive as most of Manhattan especially the uber trendy nabes of Astoria, Jackson Heights, Woodside & Sunnyside. It is hard to find something less than $2,000 outside of Manhattan given the fact that vacancy rates are at an all time low
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City