U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 PM

906 posts, read 2,098,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Actually, I think it is still UBS globally but they are going through some legal issues at the moment and I believe they have stopped opening new accounts for US clients.
Goldman Sachs? I read somewhere that they had a minimum balance of $250 million to open an account (things may have changed since the bubble burst).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 05:15 PM

52 posts, read 156,375 times
Cool To be or not to be...anonymous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia spiga View Post
Hey everyone! I'm new here, so please be gentle..
I've noticed NYS lottery winners never remain anonymous. I constantly hear/read about lottery winners from other states, claiming through a blind trust fund. Does NYC not allow a lottery winner to claim their prize anonymously? Are they eligible to claim a lottery win, via a blind trust? Even if their signature's already signed in back of the ticket? Or does the name of the trust have to be signed? What's the cost of a blind trust? I never understood why one would go public. The thought is frightening. For example, the current winners of the mega millions jackpot. I know they're in NJ not NYC. But what were they thinking to claim their win so quickly? With all the problems the economy is causing, they should of let the hype die down. Also, where do the wealthy people in NYC bank? I've heard they use regular chains but opt for private banking? Is this true? I thought NYC has many renowned privately owned banks. That cater to the wealthy? Sorry for the questions. I've asked these in other forum boards but never got a straight answer.
Ah...if only that were my problem...anonymity and the lottery...to be or not to be...that is the question...oh wait forgot about...to win or not to win...I hear ya on that...but I'd say I'd invest a little in some hair dye, maybe a little nose job and even a new address...heck...a name change wouldn't hurt either...and a body guard if I really felt like splurging...sigh...there's my alarm...time to get to work...

Old 10-30-2009, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,763 times
Sorry, but it seems that you cannot remain anonymous in NYS when you win the lottery jackpot, evenwith a blind trust. Read the ruling in Washington, which has similar privacy laws are NYS. The identity of a Yakima, Washington, couple who won a $6.6 million Lotto jackpot has been revealed after a judge ruled in favor of the state lottery that winners cannot claim jackpots anonymously through a blind trust. [url=http://www.lotterypost.com/news/182410]Judge rules Washington lottery winners can't be anonymous - Lottery News[/url]

Old 10-30-2009, 01:33 PM

746 posts, read 832,174 times
I think every major Investment Bank has a Private Banking arm (Credit Suisse, Morgam Stanley, Lehma..... oops) .... and then there are also Trust firms (U.S. Trust, etc..).

As others noted.... I believe NY forces winners to come forward for Marketing purposes. there was someone recently who came forward like 6 months after winning to let the hype die down a bit while he got his plans in order. Not sure where he got the patience for that.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:20 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,177,440 times
I recently that they have to, in order to prove there were really winners. But of course they love the publicity, and probably make money selling your information.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:07 PM

725 posts, read 1,298,035 times
I've always wondered that too, but yeah I guess the advertising is really important.
I wondered how come New Yorkers hardly ever win NYS lottos. The winner is always from NJ or some other surrounding state.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 17,381 times
The reason that Lottery Winners' name and images are splashed across the news (and not just NY) is because the winners rush to collect their prize without first thinking it through. Best to: (1) KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! Don't even tell family. (2) OBTAIN a reputable attorney to establish a "blind trust". When you claim the jackpot (with the attorney by your side), do so in the name of the blind trust, NOT YOUR NAME. (3) When NYS Lottery puts you before reporters and the media, WHERE SUNGLASSES as you respond to questions and accept the oversized check. (4) When reporters ask your name, JUST SHUT UP! And let the attorney respond. (5) Once the media presentation is over, leave quietly in a cab, and head to the airport or commuter train to get out of town for a couple of days.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 17,381 times
Default We agree to Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboom View Post
Sorry, but it seems that you cannot remain anonymous in NYS when you win the lottery jackpot, evenwith a blind trust. Read the ruling in Washington, which has similar privacy laws are NYS. The identity of a Yakima, Washington, couple who won a $6.6 million Lotto jackpot has been revealed after a judge ruled in favor of the state lottery that winners cannot claim jackpots anonymously through a blind trust. [url=http://www.lotterypost.com/news/182410]Judge rules Washington lottery winners can't be anonymous - Lottery News[/url]
I saw nothing that indicates that a local/State judge's ruling in Washington State necessarily will effect a New York State lottery winner's privacy if he/she decides to claim a Lottery jackpot via a blind trust. All states have reasonably similar laws, but not all State judges rule in a similar manner. If you also noticed in the article, the Lottery Winner's attorney acknowledged mistakes on her part. Besides, Judgements are overturned everyday on Appeal to a higher court.

In NYS, you can still claiim a lottery jackpot in the name of a blind trust, and remain anonymous.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,675,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
maybe they want to get on TV and let everyone know they lucked out.
if it's a forced rule or something then i'd make the required press conference work to my advantage. somehow.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 AM

2 posts, read 11,029 times
I won New York Lottey and I did not want to come forwad. I told no one, not even family until I found out I was going to have a press conference. My mother and brothers planed my death, I tried to kill my mother. Friends who were straight their entire lifes, were telling me they are gay and in love with me. I reacted and tryed to take my mother out. Ended up in a hospital for mental illness, I was fine. Fell in love for the 2nd time in my life. With a Mental ill person and then discovered by dealing with this person, that my entire family was mental ill, and were so consumed by jealous they wanted me out the way. Money does not make you happy. Loving yourself and contentment does. So if I win again, I will have a blind trust and never come forward.

The best bank for asset Management is Blackrock Group requires 100 Million, J.P Morgan High Wealth Clients need a min of 50 mill. The banks have different levels for asset management. 250 Million is not the norm. Maybe 10 mill. ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City