Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:26 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,097,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i am not fond of frederick douglass (8th avenue) period....its the hood in my opinion.

lenox (Malcom X) is way worse than Frederick IMO but you are right they both have kind of a "hood" feel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
For those of you who are familiar...

Is 132nd Street and 8th Ave much different? Better? Worse?
132nd St and 8th Ave is very different from the 110th area between 8th and 5th Ave.

Anything below 125th for the most part is more upscale. Especially around W 110th. I know on some blocks visually it may not look different, but it is, it is a different vibe. More older buildings are coop and some are condo. You have new luxury buildings as well. You really can't live below 125th now if you are not within a certain income range. There are still projects (they are smaller complexes) and other low income apts, but even so, most of these residents are working/middle class. I have learned that once they reach a certain income they are charged a standard rent fee and sign a one or two year lease like any other rent stabilized apt (I am referring to the subsidized apts not the projects). The services and amenities in this area are also much better.

132nd and 8th does not have as many services and amenities. It is close to transportation and St Nicholas Park. Not far from the 145th and 8th Ave Pathmart. However the projects are right there. These projects for the most part are not too bad, there are working middle class people there as well. You are close to strivers row which I will mention more about in your rodent question.

132nd and 8th is not as attractive as 111th and 7th and Lenox. 132nd and 8th is a gritty Harlem block. The 111th block all the way across from 8th to Lenox is a very attractive street. It has condos, apt buildings, and a lot of brownstones.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:00 PM
DAS

Quote:
One more question...

I know Harlem is changed and changing and there so many renovated apartments but what about rodents?
Rodents are a problem, not only in Harlem but all over Manhattan. Especially were there are restaurants, deli's and other establishments that sell food. If Also park areas like Central Park, Morningside, Riverside Drive and other Riverfront areas. You would know this if you walk around late at night, after the restaurants put out there garbage, or you walk around a park area very late at night.

If you live in a building that has regular extermination services provided this may not be a problem. Or if you own a cat. If you live in a private home you have more control of the problem.

Some people will not rent or buy in a building that has a store or restaurant in it because of this problem.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
lenox (Malcom X) is way worse than Frederick IMO but you are right they both have kind of a "hood" feel
I haven't been uptown on the west side in years OR beyond 125th Street.

I asked based on the many changes I see on the East side, where I've been plenty. I was wondering if anything is better up there.

Anyway, Harlem IS the hood.
No matter how many white folk are there now, how many buildings are renovated, who puts a car dealership smack dab in the middle.
Harlem is the hood.
And I still wanna know what happened to the rats. Where da rats at?

"The hood" is not negative to me. Hood is just short for Black neighborhood and yes expect Black folk...*s*
Folks kind of made it synomous with "ghetto" which is not the same.

Hood is like Southeastern Queens, areas such as Saint Albans, nice homes, some smaller, some medium, some larger, nice, neat blocks, some neater than others, manicured lawns and flowers and all in the summer, working class folks AND professionals, boulevards full of businesses.

Hood is Black folk, flavor, style, urban...
Barbershops where brothers can get their hair cut the way they like it around the corner...instead of having to get on a bus or in their cars to get the cut they want.
And sure there' a Church's or Popeye's somewhere....*lol*

"Ghetto" is poverty, dirt, roaches, the smell of Saturday night drunks' p*iss when you go out on a Sunday morning. Boulevards of winos and drug dealers.

I'm thinking uptown (beyond 125th) is still the ghetto.

Last edited by DonnaReed; 03-14-2009 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Rodents are a problem, not only in Harlem but all over Manhattan. Especially were there are restaurants, deli's and other establishments that sell food. If Also park areas like Central Park, Morningside, Riverside Drive and other Riverfront areas. You would know this if you walk around late at night, after the restaurants put out there garbage, or you walk around a park area very late at night.

If you live in a building that has regular extermination services provided this may not be a problem. Or if you own a cat. If you live in a private home you have more control of the problem.

Some people will not rent or buy in a building that has a store or restaurant in it because of this problem.
That's risky...*s*

I remember coming out of a nice restaraunt (can't remember the name of it) on 110th Street on the West side one evening, had a great meal, and as we turn the corner a big, giant rat scurries across our path.

I almost threw up my food.

Can't stand rodents and don't like cats.

Cat lovers can live anywhere they want.

I have a friend in an old, huge building in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium.
(Those things would be fantastic renovated.)..
She has it fixed up very nice and she also has four big cats.

She said you can't get rid of rats with one lil ole cat.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:27 PM

283 posts, read 521,581 times
Quote:
I haven't been uptown on the west side in years OR beyond 125th Street.

I asked based on the many changes I see on the East side, where I've been plenty. I was wondering if anything is better up there.

Anyway, Harlem IS the hood.
No matter how many white folk are there now, how many buildings are renovated, who puts a car dealership smack dab in the middle.
Harlem is the hood.
And I still wanna know what happened to the rats. Where da rats at?

"The hood" is not negative to me. Hood is just short for Black neighborhood and yes expect Black folk...*s*
Folks kind of made it synomous with "ghetto" which is not the same.

Hood is like Southeastern Queens, areas such as Saint Albans, nice homes, some smaller, some medium, some larger, nice, neat blocks, some neater than others, manicured lawns and flowers and all in the summer, working class folks AND professionals, boulevards full of businesses.

Hood is Black folk, flavor, style, urban...
Barbershops where brothers can get their hair cut the way they like it around the corner...instead of having to get on a bus or in their cars to get the cut they want.
And sure there' a Church's or Popeye's somewhere....*lol*

"Ghetto" is poverty, dirt, roaches, the smell of Saturday night drunks' p*iss when you go out on a Sunday morning. Boulevards of winos and drug dealers.

I'm thinking uptown (beyond 125th) is still the ghetto.
Preach brotha/sista! I used to live in Saint Albans and it's definetly what you describe.

& let's be honest, most of these posts asking how such-and-such area is are really just asking if it's all right for white people to move there, lol. The code language on this site is crazy.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-14-2009 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-14-2009, 12:29 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i am not fond of frederick douglass (8th avenue) period....its the hood in my opinion.
It is, but people are really surprised at the changes on 8th Ave below 125th if they haven't been there in awhile. I was, I was there last week and stopped at the Subways fast food restaurant on 8th, between 116th and 117th. There are several new buildings, new stores, and restaurants. Along with older buildings that are currently being renovated and lots of new construction that they are still working on even with the economic downturn.

I still kind of had my old impressions of the area in my mind, so I felt like I was in the twightlight zone when I stepped into the Subways. It nice and clean, the people that worked there were very nice and polite. If they were native NYer's, they must have been actors that needed to keep a regular job. Not that native NYer's are not nice and polite, but they were very smiley and helpful, NYer's are not so smiley, unless they are getting big bucks.

It was around 4PM, there were White teenagers seated throughout the restaurant eating and chatting. As I my order was being prepared, one of the teens also waiting struck up a conversation with me. I think certain areas are changing so fast, that if you haven't been there in a few months, you have to be open to what other people find, and post about when they go to the area.

It is not all good though, on 116th between 8th and 7th, close to 8th, there is a place where people were lined up for free meals. Not all looked poor and homelesss. Some had on clothing and carried bags that let me know that they just got off from work. Some were White people. Some were couples with children, that appeared to be doing pretty well.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:33 PM
DAS

Quote:
That's risky...*s*

I remember coming out of a nice restaraunt (can't remember the name of it) on 110th Street on the West side one evening, had a great meal, and as we turn the corner a big, giant rat scurries across our path.

I almost threw up my food.

Can't stand rodents and don't like cats.

Cat lovers can live anywhere they want.

I have a friend in an old, huge building in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium.
(Those things would be fantastic renovated.)..
She has it fixed up very nice and she also has four big cats.

She said you can't get rid of rats with one lil ole cat.
Plenty of people have paid a lot of money to live in the meat packing district which is notorious for rats. I could never understand that. I worked around there and it is really bad at night.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:13 PM

22 posts, read 72,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
Preach brotha/sista! I used to live in Saint Albans and it's definetly what you describe.

& let's be honest, most of these posts asking how such-and-such area is are really just asking if it's all right for white people to move there, lol. The code language on this site is crazy.
I don't care if the people are black or white or eskimo...just as long as they don't try to shoot me or rob me.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,097,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
It is, but people are really surprised at the changes on 8th Ave below 125th if they haven't been there in awhile. I was, I was there last week and stopped at the Subways fast food restaurant on 8th, between 116th and 117th. There are several new buildings, new stores, and restaurants. Along with older buildings that are currently being renovated and lots of new construction that they are still working on even with the economic downturn.

I still kind of had my old impressions of the area in my mind, so I felt like I was in the twightlight zone when I stepped into the Subways. It nice and clean, the people that worked there were very nice and polite. If they were native NYer's, they must have been actors that needed to keep a regular job. Not that native NYer's are not nice and polite, but they were very smiley and helpful, NYer's are not so smiley, unless they are getting big bucks.

It was around 4PM, there were White teenagers seated throughout the restaurant eating and chatting. As I my order was being prepared, one of the teens also waiting struck up a conversation with me. I think certain areas are changing so fast, that if you haven't been there in a few months, you have to be open to what other people find, and post about when they go to the area.

It is not all good though, on 116th between 8th and 7th, close to 8th, there is a place where people were lined up for free meals. Not all looked poor and homelesss. Some had on clothing and carried bags that let me know that they just got off from work. Some were White people. Some were couples with children, that appeared to be doing pretty well.

I think what DAS is saying is very true, below 125th it feels less "hoodish" for lack of a better term, than the areas between 110th and 125th east of 8th

But, there are still pockets of rough areas (or ones perception of them is "rough") between 125th and 110th

I visit a friend on 150 and st nick and it feels more "hoodish" to me than areas below 125th in central harlem

However, and this is ONLY my personal experience, hispanic people are nicer and more polite to me than African Americans are in NYC, I dont know why it just is,

so if I had to choose b/t lets say 116th and frederick douglas or lenox versus areas of washington heights, I would choose areas of washington heights

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 03-14-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City