U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 20,647 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a position with NYC Department Of Education and I really want to take it. I am currently a teacher in South Florida and I am barely making ends meet with a salary under $40,000. I know that most people say the cost of living is more up there, but not really compared to the area of Fort Lauderdale that I live in. I am hard pressed to find a decent rental for under $1500. I am still young-26 and I am a single mother of an 8 year old. I feel if I don't at least give it a try, I will regret it forever. I am not trying to live in NYC-I am thinking Queens or Brooklyn. I will receive close to a $10,000 pay increase as well as better benefits and pension. My annual salary will be approx. $50,000. How can I figure out how much I will be paying in taxes? Am I totally crazy for wanting to take on this endeavor-one that I am in no way expecting will be easy? I know I will probably struggle up there too, but I feel for a young, single mother, if I do move and make it, it will feel like the most amazing accomplishment. I am just looking for any advice you all have to offer-on anything from places to live that are reasonable to advice on whether or not I am crazy. I want to do this sooo bad! Plese help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 10:49 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,495,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorem2679 View Post
I was recently offered a position with NYC Department Of Education and I really want to take it. I am currently a teacher in South Florida and I am barely making ends meet with a salary under $40,000. I know that most people say the cost of living is more up there, but not really compared to the area of Fort Lauderdale that I live in. I am hard pressed to find a decent rental for under $1500. I am still young-26 and I am a single mother of an 8 year old. I feel if I don't at least give it a try, I will regret it forever. I am not trying to live in NYC-I am thinking Queens or Brooklyn. I will receive close to a $10,000 pay increase as well as better benefits and pension. My annual salary will be approx. $50,000. How can I figure out how much I will be paying in taxes? Am I totally crazy for wanting to take on this endeavor-one that I am in no way expecting will be easy? I know I will probably struggle up there too, but I feel for a young, single mother, if I do move and make it, it will feel like the most amazing accomplishment. I am just looking for any advice you all have to offer-on anything from places to live that are reasonable to advice on whether or not I am crazy. I want to do this sooo bad! Plese help!

FYI, Queens and Brooklyn are still considered NYC. Not trying to be rude. I take it that you mean that you don't want to live in Manhattan. Congrats on the job offer BTW.

Where are you going to be working? Please let us know that way we can suggest some places depending on your commute.

Also have you considered buying. I am pretty sure there are some programs that help teachers buy homes.

As for taxes. I don't think it should be that bad for you since you have a child.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:02 AM

6 posts, read 20,647 times
Sorry about that misunderstanding-I did mean Manhatten when I said I didn't want to live in the city. Also, I am not sure what school I will be working at yet-I was hired by the Department of Ed. not by a specific school. I know there are still a lot of gaps in the information I am providing. I do not think it will be a problem finding a job based on where I live because I teach in a critical shortage area-students with disablities and I want to teach in a low-income school. So, I am more concerned with finding a place to live first and then getting a job from there.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,703,440 times
lucky you with getting a job! did you get a commitment letter, or a job in a specific school? I just finished my online application for the city last weekend.

I'm student teaching in midtown Manhattan right now and hoping to get a job at the school. I hope it works out. If not, no big deal!

I commute from Long Island. Kind of annoying, but it isn't too bad for now. I wouldn't want to do this for more than about 3 years though. That's why I'm moving to Queens come summer.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:37 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,969,456 times
Where do you plan on living? In the vast majority of neighborhoods it is going to be difficult to find a 2br apartment on a 50k salary. (I am guestimating that you will be able to afford rent of around $1,000-$1,200).

Old 03-24-2007, 06:48 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,374,308 times
Maybe you can find a sublet until you know where you'll be teaching. It would suck to commit to an apartment in Flushing and have to commute to the Bronx!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:57 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,703,440 times
I'm not sure if either one of you is asking me, but I have family in western Queens, and they have an apartment upstairs they rent out. I'll most likely be living there.

You may have to get a roommate for the first few years. I think someone making a $45,000 could make it with $1000 a month, but you'll be putting a majority of that money towards rent.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 AM

10 posts, read 77,948 times
Congratulations on getting a job here in NYC. I've been teaching here for years. If you have a Master's you will earn more and if you have prior exp. you can get Jarema credit--up to 2 years. This will help to boost your salary. You can look up the teacher salaries at the UFT website (www.uft.org) (broken link). Finding housing will be a great challenge. Rents are horrible. You will have to stay with someone for a while so you can save $ and find an area you can afford. You can find apartments in B'klyn, Queens and the Bronx on a teacher's salary. You may even be able to take your child with you to your school. You will need permission, but most principals will allow it. The subway and bus system are great. Contrary to what others may think! Where else can you get 24 hour/365 day a year service for $4 a day! Yes it's congested at times, smelly in some places and late on occasion, but plan ahead and leave early. I commuted on the subways for years and I had complaints but compared to driving, you can't beat it.
The NYC MTA moves the city. (Remember the black out?) GOOD LUCK! It seems that you really want to make the move!

Old 03-29-2007, 07:49 AM

53 posts, read 305,775 times
Default thinking about teaching in NYC

I'm currently living in Virginia and I'm thinking about a move to NYC. My husband is applying to a Medical Residency program in Brooklyn and we're considering a move in June of 2008. I'm originally from NJ, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area and culture. By that time, I will have been teaching for 4 years and I have a Master's Degree. I was wondering how hard it would be to find a teaching job in Brooklyn and an apartment in a safe neighborhood. We would have two salaries and an income of approximately $85,000 per year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,969,456 times
I can't really help you with the teaching job part, but I'm sure that you'll be able to find something either in Brooklyn/Queens or maybe even Nassau.

What part of Brooklyn will your husband do his residency in? I would reccomend that you look into Southern Brooklyn. Its nice and affordable. A 1br in areas like Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst go for $1,000 - $1,400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorib49 View Post
I'm currently living in Virginia and I'm thinking about a move to NYC. My husband is applying to a Medical Residency program in Brooklyn and we're considering a move in June of 2008. I'm originally from NJ, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area and culture. By that time, I will have been teaching for 4 years and I have a Master's Degree. I was wondering how hard it would be to find a teaching job in Brooklyn and an apartment in a safe neighborhood. We would have two salaries and an income of approximately $85,000 per year. Any advice would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or