U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM

18 posts, read 55,954 times
Talking What are my best options when looking for an apartment?

Hey everyone. Right now I am a Junior on High School, almost ready for my Senior year, and I have been looking into costs of apartments and what are the best places to look. I will be going to NYC this summer to scout out some schools and I would like to look around different neighborhoods I may be living in. The colleges I am looking at are all around Midtown and Lower Central Park areas. I understand that in the next year, rent prices will probably get higher... but that is an obstacle I will deal with later on. I will have no more than $2000 a month to spend on an apartment and I would like to get one in Manhattan or very close to Manhattan. I am looking for a one bedroom apartment (Absolutely NO STUDIOS), but I can't seem to get a straight answer on what the best areas to live are. I have heard that Gramercy, Murray Hill, Chelsea, SoHo, and Clinton are the best places to live. Any opinions? Thanks... it's greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 01:23 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,868,256 times
No one-bedrooms on the budget you're proposing in those areas. Take a look at the 'Need info on moving to NYC' sticy.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Okay. Well I've been doing apartment hunting for the past 2 days, just to get my mind out there. And I've found a lot of apartments that are moderately sized for between 1800 - 2500 in some of those areas. I have found a lot in the East Village and Gramercy. And they all look quite repudable. I will be paying for my living expenses with student loans, so if I need to go more... hopefully it shouldn't be a HUGE problem. My dream has always been to live in a high-rise or atleast a taller building on a top floor. I don't know if that is an unrealistic dream, but any suggestions?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:46 PM

You're only a high school junior. Do you realize that you have to prove that you make 40x the monthly rent annually???

Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM

I've talked to a couple people who have moved there, and they are in college... and they have told me most places need a guarantor (or whatever it is called). I've heard that many brokers that you can work with, will find you places that are student friendly, so you don't have to go through a lot of hassle just to find out you aren't getting the apartment because of being a student.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:56 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,192,805 times
Just remember that brokers charge a hefty fee for finding you an apartment. Occasionally that fee is paid by the building owner, but most commonly the tenant has to pay.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 AM

706 posts, read 2,418,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovevolkswagen View Post
I've talked to a couple people who have moved there, and they are in college... and they have told me most places need a guarantor (or whatever it is called). I've heard that many brokers that you can work with, will find you places that are student friendly, so you don't have to go through a lot of hassle just to find out you aren't getting the apartment because of being a student.

If you have a $2,000 monthly budget, perhaps you can avoid the loans, go with a roomate and share the expenses.

Whatever school you choose will have other students who need places to live.

It will save money and sharing an apartment is a sensible bet for your safety (nobody's clocking you as a newbie in town who lives alone, or in case of unexpected occurences or emergencies where you can use some type of assistance, i.e., you lose a key, you're not feeling well...)

particularly for your first year as you become familiar with the surroundings.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 AM

If you're here for college, you should live in a dorm, at least to start.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 AM

295 posts, read 936,552 times
Default apartments

If you have the money...anything is possible.

When you visit NYC, see if you can get a list of a few available apartments & go take a look at what you can get it which area for your $$ (I would go with someone older as well, otherwise, you will not be taken seriously...IMO).

You have to understand...most people (me included) who have been working for a while...think 2000 for rent alone is not a small sum...and we probably have lived in a few dorms & box apartments (certainly not 1 bedrooms).

I think your question of which is the best area to live is not an easy one to answer. All neighborhoods are different & everyone will think their own is the "best" for one or another reason. It's an individual decision. Based on the # of young people out at night...I would say East Village...if you like to go out with young people at night and walk home.

When you visit NYC, see if you can get a list of a few available apartments & go take a look at what you can get it which area for your $$ (I would go with someone older as well, otherwise, you will not be taken seriously...IMO).

Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 AM

4,502 posts, read 7,672,341 times
Why not a studio? You can get a decent studio in a good, safe neighborhood for 1600 or so and that would leave you another $400 for food and incidentals. As a college student, you should be looking at ways to conserve money not get a 1BR just because you want more room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City