U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:01 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,841,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANVIN
I would much rather be driving in my nice car than sitting in those dirty trains.
If you're willing to sit in traffic on the BQE for over an hour, that's you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,972,955 times
Yeah, but why is it broke? Other transportation systems in the country and throughout the world get by on similar, if not smaller sources of income. Why does the MTA have such a problem keeping things in good shape with the money it has?

Where is all of this money going, and why aren't things being fixed up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
We all want nicer trains and stations, but lets be real. Are anyone of us willing to pay $3.50 for a one way ride and pay 50 cents for transfers? We all know the MTA is "broke".

Old 04-02-2007, 03:28 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,841,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead
Yeah, but why is it broke? Other transportation systems in the country and throughout the world get by on similar, if not smaller sources of income. Why does the MTA have such a problem keeping things in good shape with the money it has?

Where is all of this money going, and why aren't things being fixed up?
That's the thing! WHERE IS ALL THIS MONEY IS GOING TOO! One day the MTA is broke. The next day they are rolling in a surplus. What is up with that!? The city and state needs to look into that.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 AM

16 posts, read 39,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
The only decent subway system we have in the USA that I could think of is probably in Washington DC. The subway system there, where while not being the best in the world, is definitely much better than the NYC subway system in terms of cleanliness and updated equipment. Why can't NYC replicate what has been done in DC, and why is it so difficult to keep the stations clean in NYC when they seemed very clean in Washington?
Ummm, have you RIDDEN the DC subway recently? LOTS of problems here, too. True, NYC has its problems, but as for efficiency, coverage area and reliability, I think NYC's subway beats DC's Metro HANDS DOWN. It's not a contest at all. DC's subway is, yes, cleaner, but try to get somewhere late in the evening or on a weekend or live out in the suburbs and rely on it? Puh-leeeze. NYC subway does a MUCH better job.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:20 AM

644 posts, read 1,729,375 times
The truly best way to go from the outer boroughs into the city is the express bus. It's worth sitting in traffic for, which tends to happen from time to time, but the comfort of the seats, ability to listen to your radio is so worth it and having bus drivers who know you is nice also. that being said, it sucks when they don't show up, which happens some of the time. I don't mind the subway or bus for interborough transportation but not consisistently when i'm going from queens to the city.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM

19,159 posts, read 32,695,448 times
Quote:
Well I was thinking about this yesterday. Are all subway systems in the USA a mess compared to the rest of the world? I haven't riden the subway in Philadelphia or Boston a while.

The only decent subway system we have in the USA that I could think of is probably in Washington DC. The subway system there, where while not being the best in the world, is definitely much better than the NYC subway system in terms of cleanliness and updated equipment. Why can't NYC replicate what has been done in DC, and why is it so difficult to keep the stations clean in NYC when they seemed very clean in Washington?

I was also thinking that all of the suburban rail systems in the NYC are in pretty good shape, not great, but they are generally in good order. The LIRR and Metro North are even run by the MTA, the same organization that runs the subways. So why if the LIRR and Metro North can be kept in good condition, has the MTA failed to do the same for the subway???

Here's a picture of a typical Washington DC subway station if anyone is interested: http://www.see-places.com/photos/washington-dc/0080-washington-dc-subway.jpg (broken link)

Compare that to a typical NYC subway station:

Notice the difference?

did you know that washington dc metro stops running at midnight so that they could be cleaned? thats why. imagine if the nyc subway shut down at midnight. lol what an inconvenience. plus the dc metro isnt even that big.....what does it have like 50 stations, compared to nyc's 468? ive ridden the metro and the stations are clean as hell but there's a reason why. london's underground also stops running at midnight, i've ridden that too. cant speak for any of the other subway systems you've posted.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:18 PM

I wouldn't mind if the subway was shut down at 2am if it was for cleaning purposes and the buses were still running.

I've lived in areas where the subways stopped running at 12-1am and yeah its a huge pain, but you learn to work around it.

I think 2-3am is a fair hour to shut the system down. The subway in its current incarnation is absolutely filthy, to a disgusting degree.

Whenever I have foreigners come and visit me, the first thing they notice is how dirty and decrepidt the subway looks. I hate having to apologize for the state of the subways.

The MTA needs to get its damn act together. Its a disgrace that we have one of the dirtiest subway systems in the developed world. A total disgrace.

NYC is falling behind. You go to other cities in Europe and Asia and they have brand new subway systems that are air conditioned, spotlessly clean, that have electronic screens that tell you exactly when the next train is coming and glass doors that open and close when the train arrives so that nobody can fall/get pushed onto the tracks.

I'll say it again, we're falling behind in terms of the quality of our subway, and something needs to be done about it.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:29 PM

67 posts, read 288,983 times
New York City public transporation is not perfect. It does have a lot of problems from filthy subway stations to old subway cars (on certain lines) and construction. Subways and buses also serve five boroughs which is a huge area and much larger then many other urban public transporation systems.

This being said we are also in the United States. This is a very suburb centered country. Cities like Philadelphia and Detroit have lost their population and power to sprawling Sunbelt cities like Houston and Phoenix. In many cities the car is the dominant force of transporation and public transporation could take 3x as long then driving in a car.

Nevertheless action needs to be taken on the subway system but it will take both the MTA as well as the riders to work together. There will probably be fare increases and constant construction which will affect many New Yorkers and possibly add time to their commutes (for example the 1 train only goes to 14th street on the weekends usually because of construction and 2/3 trains run local as a result).

I personally take public transporation everywhere. I am a big fan of the subway as the 1 stops right outside my dorm up in Riverdale. I work on the upper east side three days a week and take the subway and then a crosstown bus and never have problems.

Also on a side note there are many Metro North lines that feature extremly outdated and downright disgusting trains. The New Haven lines which runs from Union Station in New Haven (the 10th busiest station in the country) down along I-95 through Bridgeport, Stamford and Greenwich and into Grand Central has horrible trains. They also smell as people try at all costs to avoid sitting near the bathrooms. Now on this note the State of CT along with the MTA is in the process of buying new trains for the entire line, but that will take time like everything else

Old 10-15-2007, 01:46 PM

Yeah the New Haven line is supposed to be relaly bad, but the Harlem line is very very nice. The trains that run from White Plains to Grand Central are usually immaculately clean, even by my nit-picky standards. I think this level of cleanliness exists on the Hudson river line as well.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:20 PM

841 posts, read 3,928,582 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind if the subway was shut down at 2am if it was for cleaning purposes and the buses were still running.

I've lived in areas where the subways stopped running at 12-1am and yeah its a huge pain, but you learn to work around it.

I think 2-3am is a fair hour to shut the system down. The subway in its current incarnation is absolutely filthy, to a disgusting degree.

Whenever I have foreigners come and visit me, the first thing they notice is how dirty and decrepidt the subway looks. I hate having to apologize for the state of the subways.

The MTA needs to get its damn act together. Its a disgrace that we have one of the dirtiest subway systems in the developed world. A total disgrace.

NYC is falling behind. You go to other cities in Europe and Asia and they have brand new subway systems that are air conditioned, spotlessly clean, that have electronic screens that tell you exactly when the next train is coming and glass doors that open and close when the train arrives so that nobody can fall/get pushed onto the tracks.

I'll say it again, we're falling behind in terms of the quality of our subway, and something needs to be done about it.
But this is the city that never sleeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or